msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
There was also a mini West coast era before Detroit in 2013:

2010- Portland, Oregon
2011- Ontario, California
2012- Kent, Washington

Was hoping for a return to that era. Oh well... no SA for me this year.:eek:hwell:

Ha! You have been watching too much TV!
Are you old enough to know why I would be humming this song?
"I'm from Milwaukee, I ought to know...
It's draft brewed Blatz beer...
Where ever you go....."
Chris from the Chicago suburbs

"On the old Milwaukee Road, on the old Milwaukee Road!" :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQupCrYLLbk

(My Mom is from Avery, Idaho, current population 25 -- but back then it was a roaring railroad hub of a thousand people and a major switch point for theMilwaukee Road and later Great Northern.)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Dang nab it, Mathman...that is one Idaho town I haven't ridden my bike to on a nice spring day.....I should grab some Idaho friends and make it a ride.....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avery,_Idaho#/media/File:Averyfallnew.jpg

"On the old Milwaukee Road, on the old Milwaukee Road!" :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQupCrYLLbk

(My Mom is from Avery, Idaho, current population 25 -- but back then it was a roaring railroad hub of a thousand people and a major switch point for theMilwaukee Road and later Great Northern.)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I should really withhold my opinion till I see the layout. When I heard Nats was going to be in Omaha, I nearly said a certain bad word but the facilities, eateries, and hotels turned out to be great, and all located in a nice clean area. Flying there is still the biggest detriment.
Raise you hand if you love flying with commercial carriers in the US :p

I'm with you. Yep, oh well!

mskater93

Record Breaker
Milwaukee is a really nice (smaller) city. SWA flies to MKE for very reasonable and often a non-stop from the east coast or some western cities. MKE has some great food and drink (beer) choices. If I hadn't gone to SA last year when it was 20 minutes from my house, I'd probably go this year since Milwaukee's only 45 minutes for me in light traffic

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Milwaukee is a really nice (smaller) city. SWA flies to MKE for very reasonable and often a non-stop from the east coast or some western cities. MKE has some great food and drink (beer) choices. If I hadn't gone to SA last year when it was 20 minutes from my house, I'd probably go this year since Milwaukee's only 45 minutes for me in light traffic

And for the west coasters -- Alaska Airlines will be starting a direct Seattle-Milwaukee flight on July 1. Alaska is not the cheapest--but it's a very good airline (and the food is really, really good!)

My wish for it to be on the West Coast is strictly cause it would be easier, but Milwaukee is a really nice city and would totally go if not for other logistics.

Also it's still not clear if it's at BMO Bradley Center or UWM Panther Arena, but both are located close to downtown, which has a ton of food options and close to hotels.

Celine

On the Ice
Hopefully they will not have much in the way of "competition" as far as other "entertainment options" goes. Nationals and SA in the State of Washington always enjoyed healthy crowds on this basis. Chicago and other bigger cities, there are simply other options and crowds and turnout tend to be disappointing.

Nigel

On the Ice
You must also remember that Gale Tanger, the US rep to the ISU, is from the Milwaukee area.

peg

Medalist
And for the west coasters -- Alaska Airlines will be starting a direct Seattle-Milwaukee flight on July 1. Alaska is not the cheapest--but it's a very good airline (and the food is really, really good!)

My best flying experiences have been with Alaska Air. :yes:

thomthom

Spectator
Okay, so it IS going to be here in 2015? I live here, so if anyone has questions, please let me know.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Okay, so it IS going to be here in 2015? I live here, so if anyone has questions, please let me know.

Welcome to Golden Skate, thomthom! Post often and long!

Yes, it looks like this is official. Thanks for your offer!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Thank You for being so thoughtful....now that we know much more:
http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=51157&type=media

It looks like the area isn't too bad at the Panther Arena. There are some close hotels (180 plus a night with 15.1 percent room tax and the Days Inn ($100), which is inexpensive but makes cab fares a option due to its low cost. It is a mile away.

Airport transportation is $30 round trip.

Using google maps and other tools, getting a real breakfast seems to be a challenge....any thoughts?

Oddly, airfare from Spokane is only $345 Chris

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
So when they say that the Hilton City Center is the official hotel for the delegation, does that mean USFS and judges or skaters too ?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Pretty much, although sometimes you will see skaters at THIS hotel and THAT hotel and media types at THAT hotel, etc.
So when they say that the Hilton City Center is the official hotel for the delegation, does that mean USFS and judges or skaters too ?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I made a pre-emptive reservation at the Fairfield till I see what the USFS has in store for me....its only four blocks away and there is real breakfast food nearby.
And they have a great discount for us seasoned citizens....:biggrin: