Sassy/Stinky Lessons and Practices, 5/20 - 5/31 | Golden Skate

Sassy/Stinky Lessons and Practices, 5/20 - 5/31

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Hey, where did we all go????? :laugh: OK, I'll run the thread through Memorial Day to make it easier

Stinky: Getting back on the ice after competition. Stiff, stiff, stiff and sore!!

Sassy babe: Competition went very well. My coach was very pleased and said it was the best I've ever skated. We both experienced a little disappointment in the Artistic. I FINALLY skated a good solid jump packed skate with "your best back crossovers ever" (according to coach), once again competing against my usual compadres who is 16 years younger than me. Coach thought I had won, I thought we may have tied, but once again, she won, this time by only one tenth of a point from one judge. Again, a tiny disappointment, but the fact that I really skated a good solid program and created my "character" (an arrogant and flamboyant Spanish dancer) on the ice well was more than enough for me. Foot work went well, Interpretive was great fun, and I was proud to collect the silver in figures behind a friend who skates about two levels above me. We both did a solid inside eight. All in all a great experience.

Worked on spirals this week, getting better position and height and finally working hard to get them with my right leg up. Also worked on the demon three turns this morning to start and work on "testable" ones. I'm pleased to say I probably did my best FO3's ever, finally getting the point of concentrating on the opening edge and THEN turning, not just whipping it around. Ahh, tired, but happy, and progress made.
:D

luenatic

On the Ice
Coach and I worked on putting a FS3 program together. We had a rough draft and it's OK for the first run-thru. We thought I'll have more time to add more elements into the program once I get comfortable with (and remember) the choreography. It's hard to remember which direction I'm supposed to go sometimes. :laugh:

The amazing thing during the first run-thru was the change-foot-spin. Because I concentrated on remembering the program without worrying about the spins, I actually did a decent one. I wish I could do that in the competition!

Happy skating everyone.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Yazmeen-Congrats on your great skate!

Stinky-this week has been a bust. I have a autoimune disease, and have been feeling pretty bad for the past week. The doctor thinks I might have something wrong with my pituitary gland and has ordered a MRI and CT-SCAN for my brain. Anyway I did sneak in about 45 mins of skating today and even though I feel really tired I actually had really good jumps and centered scratch spins.

Happy skating to all:)

icer

Rinkside
Sassy!: Spins are great. Sit spins getting lower and faster. My alternating edges, forward and back, are getting nice and smooth.

Stinky!: Where have my jumps gone?

Biggest change this week is that my coach has just moved across the country. He is a fantastic teacher and really helped me make progress. Aside from missing him, I have to figure out what direction I want to go in in choosing a new coach to work with. I have a few big work things coming up, so won't start with someone new immediately. Today's practice session on my own was unfocused (starting with me being later than usual because I had no lesson to race out of work to be on time for!).

Longhornliz

Final Flight
Sassy!- Borrowed really nice skates from a friend and saw a massive improvement from my balance issues I had with my own. Definately going to save up for some legitimate skate in the near future. I can do a tiny turn in a circle... dont know if it's called anything, but I just turn my feet out into first position and it makes me spin.... sort of exciting to this beginner!!!

Stinky- Feel like a toddler just learning to walk... sometimes I'm fine and I can even experiment with gliding on different edges... sometimes forward motion is too much for me to handle. Need to learn how to stop correctly :rolleye:

lil_icesk8er915

On the Ice
Hey everyone! I didn't really know what these kind of threads were about, but now that I've looked they look like a lot of fun! I think I'll join if anyone doesn't mind! :)

Yazmeen: Great job at your competition! Ugh! I remember 3-turns, they were so hard! lol

dlkksk8fan-Oh my goodness! I hope you are feeling better! I'm glad you had a good practice, skating when I'm sick helps me feel better! :)

icer-Great job on your spins! I hope you find a new coach soon!

As for me...

Stinky-My blades are very dull and my jumps stink so I just worked on strengthening my singles instead of working on doubles :(

Sassy-I finally had a lesson with my coach on Thurs. We haven't had a lesson since April 25th! :eek: But we had a good talk about scheduling conflicts and summer ice. And I started working on a new spin; I think it's called a "Y-spin" but I'm not sure. It's were you do a heel stretch in a back spin. It's hard but really fun! :D

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Well, no lessons for me for the next two weeks. Its ISI/PSA conference time, and my coach and several others are going and taking time for some California R and R after the conference. Since so many are going to be away, they're not opening up for Freestyle at my rink the next two weeks. Sigh. I'll have to settle for just Saturdays at Wintersport. :\

Good Saturday practice. Outside threes keep improving, although I have to stop dropping my free shoulder when I check. Spirals too are starting to come on my left leg. Little by little...

Lune: You program sounds COOL. :love:

Icer: Congrats on your spinning success :)

Liz: Start saving up for those skates. Sounds like you are making good progress. :D

915: Totally cool on the Y-spin!!! :) I sympathize on blades, I need to get mine to the sharpener, too.

icer

Rinkside
Sassy- After a few awful practices, I finally had a good one. I can still skate! Some of it was my mental state, some of it was terrible ice... but now I'm back. Whew. In the absence of my coach I am focusing on basic things- strengthening forward and backward cross-overs in my weak direction, trying to keep my weight down low etc. etc. Also had some good practice on new entrances into jumps that were among the last things I worked on with my coach.

Stinky- I can skate again! Who am I to be picky about details. After several sessions full of doubt, not one complaint!

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
After missing two weeks of skating I finally got some time on the ice this week.

My lesson today was all about spins.
Sassy- scratch spin, centered and fast
Stinky- sit spin. My coach pointed out that my arms looked like I was a puppy dog begging. I've got to keep my arms out straight-no begging:p

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Saturday skate: Ooch, was I STIFF!!! Its amazing what not skating for a week and having a stressful week can do to one's muscles. I took is easy and just worked on crossvers and edges, which went pretty well. No lessons next week, then its back to the usual schedule the following week--thank goodness!! :eek:

starshinexavier

On the Ice
This is a little late, but nonetheless.................

Sassy: Last synchro tryout on Friday. It was kinda sad, being the last one, but it was still fun. We mainly worked on a block mainly of russians and crosscuts, which surprisingly took quite a few people a long time to catch on. We then worked on rockers and brackets individually. We then were given footwork to do in lines diagonally across the ice with choctaws, brackets, 3 turns and little hops. For the most part, it worked well, and it was nice to see everyone helping out everyone. We closed the practice with a circle, into a long pinwheel into a parallel pinwheel. On the last try we even got the long pinwheel straight! Everyone will receive letters later in the week determining our fate. Everyone made it, but no one knows which team(There's a junior team and either a novice or prenovice team).

My cut has healed nicely. I have an inch and a half long scar and little dots from the stitches. It's still pink, but healing wonderfully! The doctor said I'm as good as new! :D

Stinky: I felt a little nervous out there doing the diagonal footwork in lines, due to my accident at the last tryout session, but I managed to stay on my feet. I'm sad now that I'm off the ice for an undisclosed amount of time, but I'm hoping soon after the first team meeting, we'll be out on the ice again soon.

Happy Skating everyone! :D :D

Glacierskater

On the Ice
Wow....it has been while!

It has been a while since I have posted here...someone should have put a disclaimer on skating...it is highly addictive, and I have been away feeding the addiction. It is good to be back on the board though.

First off:
dlkksk8fan: My thoughts are with you. I have found skating to be very therapeutic for everything that ails me :)

Yazmeen: It sounds like you are doing great, and I love to hear about your competitive experiences.

SASSY: I have been landing my flip and loop consistently and have started working on getting them higher, faster, tighter. I have also been working on the flip/loop, loop/loop, and some other combos. I have also been preparing for the axel (scary for me) and worked on the waltz/loop to get ready for it. I was able to do those consistently. My camel has been nonexistent until this week. It is weak, but getting better. I have gotten better with my FS4 dance step. I have been able to get it to cover almost the netire length of the ice.

STINKY: YEAH...ABOUT THAT FS4 DANCE STEP: I have officially suffered my first skating boo-boo (aside from about knocking myself out learning the flip). I was in the middle of the dance step, and preparing to do a RBO 3 turn. I felt myself falling and before I knew it I impailed my right shin with the back of my left blade. I did not realize that I had done it and thought that I had just scratched myself. After seeing the blood, I realized that I had done more than that. After some direct pressure, icing and a big band-aid, I decided that it was time to call it quits for the day. Although I did not go to the doctor, I probably could have used a stitch or two. The weird thing is that it does not hurt, and never did hurt. I thought that I might be in shock, but no pain has set in. And, there are no holes in my skate pants (the gash is like 3/4 inch deep). Must be more careful on the FS4 dance step!

Cinderella on Ice

Bless you, Fairy Godmother, I'm Having a BALL!
On the Ice
L'il Stinker - Of course, I'm referring to myself, because it has been AGES since I've posted any of my practices here. I'm really sorry and apologize to those of you who kept the torch lit , like Yazmeen, Glacierskater, Starshine, Dlkks8fan, luenatic, and everyone else. I tried to at least lurk once in awhile to keep up with your progress, but a series of things in my 3D life just sucked all my free time away. It was a choice between talking about skating and actually skating -- and I'm pretty sure you can tell which one I chose!

Sassy - Woo hoo, skating has just been a ton of fun. Now that I don't have competitions on my near horizon, my coach and I have pulled out all the stops and have SO MANY new things we are working on, in addition to polishing up the old. I am going to be testing the regular track, so I am working on Intermediate MIF. All but one of the patterns are tests I have passed on the adult track, but the challenge is to bring them up to the stricter testing levels of this track. My coach is trying to turn me into a pretzel, giving me several new spin positions and moves where my leg needs to be up over my head, so I am working on flexibility and turnout. We've started with some beginning spread eagles, ina bauers, attitude and layback spins. I'm working on evil choctaws and exercises to speed up my footwork (twisty/turny things). We're about to crank up the volume on training for the 2sal and 2toe. And did I mention that I'm now taking an adult ballet class on Monday nights to improve my form and flexibility?! And in two weeks I start an on-ice Creative Moves class taught by one of our Masters Ladies Champions.

My coach also wants me to skate interp next year, so I've been looking for appropriate music.

Wow, so much on my plate, I've had to jot it all down in notes and plan out my practices for each session or else I'm sure something will slip through the cracks.

I will try to be a better poster. I'm thrilled to see the improvements so many of you are making. And Starshine, sorry to be repetitive, but I can't find the post where you talk about your cut/stitches, so would you PM me or just remind us why you are injured?