Mt Everest | Golden Skate

Mt Everest

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Every season hundreds of people summit Mt Everest. In 2013 eight hundred people made the journey. Just today a massive earthquake struck Nepal and caused a severe avalanche killing at least ten people. http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2015/04/25/mount-everest-climbers-mazur/26355255/

Everest is so high that few can survive without oxygen once reaching the highest elevations. It is so treacherous that there are bodies in areas that are too dangerous to recover. Last years climbing season was cancelled due to an avalache that took like 15 Sherpa's (local guides and trailblazers) lives.

Is it too dangerous and are the lasting ecological effects too great to continue this journey? I have a Friend who as far as I know was on Everest today. On many occasions we have discussed climbing Everest and I've voiced many of my concerns over this issue. How do you feel? Any thoughts? Anyone here into climbing extreme mountains like this?

Prayers for all involved in todays tragedy.

Edit: I left the title broad so that after this tragic event the discussion can continue without being limited to today's disaster.

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I hope your friend is alright...that's awful. :no:

I've read Into Thin Air and seen a couple documentaries and...nope. Not something I would ever consider. The ecological concerns are worrying. I understand the allure for a certain type of person, but I think they need to severely limit the traffic at the very least. I wonder if it even holds the same cache that it used to for climbers.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Australian news outlets reporting that the total death toll is over 1300. Kathmandu one of the worst-effected areas.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Now they are saying 17 have died and there are some trapped in precarious places after ladders and ropes became dislodged from the quake. Not sure if the usual helicopters, which can't go very high up anyway, are avalaible as they may be involved with other rescues. There are large casualties in the cities which may take priority.

My thoughts are with the survives and those still trying to survive.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
S-S, hoping your friend will be OK! Please let us know when you have more news. In the meantime, sending thoughts and prayers!

There is a fairly large Nepali community in Queens -- relatively short subway ride from my NYC neighborhood. Also, one of the people killed was a young woman from Edison, NJ, which is also fairly close. Scroll down about 1/3 of the way in the story below:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/04/27/nepal-earthquake-death-toll-rises/

I feel so bad for the families.

As to the questions you asked, gallavich's post pretty much sums up my thoughts. Although I've never done it, I've been fascinated by climbing (especially Everest) for years; have also read Into Thin Air and have probably watched the same documentaries. The growth of the "expedition industry" in recent years troubles me, mostly because of the ecological/waste issues but also because of the danger created by large numbers of people trying to summit in a very short window of time. If even one person in the group has a problem, there are repercussions not just for his/her group, but for everyone else nearby. Aside from that, the commercial aspect does seem to diminish the achievement a wee bit -- but only a little.

Still, there's a part of me that would sign up for an expedition in a heartbeat....

GF2445

Record Breaker
The Earthquake in Nepal has really been devastating. Not just on Mt. Everest but the capital Kathmandu has killed thousands of people.
There were also casualties in nearby countries as well.

Death toll at the moment has just passed 4,000 lives.
There could be an estimated 10,000 dead (according to reports).

Interspectator

Record Breaker
The Earthquake in Nepal has really been devastating. Not just on Mt. Everest but the capital Kathmandu has killed thousands of people.
There were also casualties in nearby countries as well.

Death toll at the moment has just passed 4,000 lives.
There could be an estimated 10,000 dead (according to reports).

The news-reels have been heartbreaking. -Brick houses seem to be the worst for earthquakes.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
A good friend has a son in Nepal. She didn't know for days if he was alive and then found out that he is! Sighs of relief in our community!

A year ago I saw a Canadian documentary on Everest. Previously, I had had a romantic notion of man conquering nature but when I saw the reality, I was shocked. Lines of people climbing the mountain, like some cheesy tourist attraction really turned me off. The story centred on an Ontario woman who wanted to climb, went without the proper training, resisted help and died on the mountain. Apparently, the lines are so congested and space to move was so limited, people who died had to be left where they were and those still trekking would pass the same body going up and coming back down. Not romantic, absolutely tragic! You couldn't pay me to go there.

heyang

Record Breaker
My college roommate's mother is in an extended care facility and one of her favorite nurses is from Nepal. So far, she hasn't heard of any family members being killed from the earthquake, but her brother lost everything. My friend is trying to figure out how to give the nurse some money to help out her brother.

While the death toll is high, aid workers will need funds just to help the living survive and all of these people also need to rebuild their lives.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
One of the Iditarod rookies (who finished!) this year is a War Veteran who lives with PTSD - he ran the Iditarod to bring awareness, and he was on Everest on his way up when the Earthquake hit. He and most of his team are okay, but the mushing fandom held its breath until we heard official word. He posted on facebook last night about the ordeal. They are safely off the mountain now.

Praying for all of the victims of the Earthquake, and hope they can recover quickly and stronger than ever.