Zijun Li aims for strong comeback | Golden Skate

Zijun Li aims for strong comeback

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The 2014-15 season was not set up to be an easy year for China’s Zijun Li, who found herself without a head coach for the entire summer. After the Olympic season ended, the contract between Mingzhu Li and the Chinese national figure skating team ended. [More]

Li will be making some tough calls on technical elements for the upcoming season.

“I may take the Lutz out,” she revealed. “Under the new rule (30% base value reduction for an edge error on the Lutz jump), I may easily lose many points on that jump, so it doesn’t pay out.”

However, to help balance the scales, the skater intends on raising the level of difficulty of other jumps.

“I may try two triple-triple combinations in my free skate,” she said. “One with a triple toe for the second jump, and the other with a half loop-triple Salchow at the end.”

It will be interesting to see how many other skaters incorporate the same plan.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
She could take advantage of the off-season to try to improve her Lutz, I hope she succeeds in whatever she may choose to do with her layout :)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I sincerely hope for the very best for Jun Jun. She is very graceful and IMO under appreciated by some judges when she really shines like at 4CC this year.

I think she has a pretty solid foundation to build off of and to illustrate just why here is a short video I made showing her WC highlights from this year. Here's to next years version being even better. ;)

Thank you GS for taking the story :love:

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
I love her so much. :)

I hope even if she takes the lutz out of her programs for next season, she continues to work on it in practice. Ashley's has improved a lot (although it's still about 50/50) but Zijun is younger and retooling that jump isn't impossible :yes:. I hope she has a much better season than this last one. I didn't realize she was dealing with coaching issues.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I hope she will come back stronger and make those haters who attacked her on weibo shut their mouths. Go!!!!

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
The statement in the article is strange and it seems like she doesn't really know what she's doing. The only way to do multiple (Triple)+Triple combinations in a program without a Triple Lutz is by including...a Double Lutz. There's no way to really "raise the difficulty of your other jumps", unless she means a Triple Axel or Quad, which seems totally out of the question for her jumping ability. Her jump layout was already the max difficulty it could be, aside from perhaps backloading another jumping pass. Her base value would actually decrease if she did the half loop+Triple Salchow combination.

The answer is to work on your jumps such that they are never going to get an 'e' call.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She needs to get away from the sicky-sweet music choices. That "Moon River" FS was just awful!!

urara

Rinkside
I'd like her to try choreographers other than Lori.
I want to see new Zijun in terms of artistry. No more ballet music, please.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
She needs to get away from the sicky-sweet music choices. That "Moon River" FS was just awful!!

I liked the Moon River FS a lot actually, I do agree that she may need to try something new this year, she should experiment with new styles.

and I felt bad for her this past month, I read a lot of comments people left for her... she didn't deserve them and they attacked her family and her dog too, very classless. At least on instagram people have been very supportive as of late which is nice, lots of encouraging comments

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
She is a wonderful skater! She is a real princess on ice, I hope she will have a strong 2015/2016 season!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
and I felt bad for her this past month, I read a lot of comments people left for her... she didn't deserve them and they attacked her family and her dog too, very classless. At least on instagram people have been very supportive as of late which is nice, lots of encouraging comments

I don't know what nasty comments she gets but it seems an old adage needs to be amended to "those who can, do, and those who can't, teach, judge, or attack" in the age of the internet.

Zijun is a standout in her grace and loveliness among the Ladies. I hope she can raise her technical level for competition success.

LRK

Record Breaker
I think the style she skates to suits her - so I don't know why she should change it?

People attacked her dog? I mean, her family is bad enough - it's not that it's somehow worse to attack her dog - of course it isn't! - it's just that it is so... bizarre... I mean, it's not like the dog is going to read what they said?! (shakes head in total incomprehension)

Meoima

Match Penalty
I think the style she skates to suits her - so I don't know why she should change it?
People attacked her dog? I mean, her family is bad enough - it's not that it's somehow worse to attack her dog - of course it isn't! - it's just that it is so... bizarre... I mean, it's not like the dog is going to read what they said?! (shakes head in total incomprehension)
In Zijun fan thread I have explained why they attacked her (for stupid reasons). Poor the girl, she uploaded photo of the banquets and having funs doesn't mean she didn't work hard for WC. I hope she will never pay attention to those haters again.

LRK

Record Breaker
In Zijun fan thread I have explained why they attacked her (for stupid reasons). Poor the girl, she uploaded photo of the banquets and having funs doesn't mean she didn't work hard for WC. I hope she will never pay attention to those haters again.

Ridiculous. They thought the dog influenced her to go to the banquet?;)

Anyway, those banquet photos were lovely, and she looked lovely.:) Goodness, you'd think she'd attended some... bacchanalian orgy instead of a perfectly respectable banquet! I don't think eating and taking a couple of phtotos AFTER the WCH at that was a great hindrance in her preparation BEFORE the WCH.

Well, as I thought then... People with far too much time - and too little brain - on their hands... (shrug) I can only agree, and hope she pays no mind to such illmannered nitwits.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Ridiculous. They thought the dog influenced her to go to the banquet?;)

Anyway, those banquet photos were lovely, and she looked lovely.:) Goodness, you'd think she'd attended some... bacchanalian orgy instead of a perfectly respectable banquet! I don't think eating and taking a couple of phtotos AFTER the WCH at that was a great hindrance in her preparation BEFORE the WCH.

Well, as I thought then... People with far too much time - and too little brain - on their hands... (shrug) I can only agree, and hope she pays no mind to such illmannered nitwits.

Well they were angry at her for uploading fun moments, such as with her dog, some people told her not to play with the "stupid dog" so much and attacked her family for not making her go practice more and stuff. I actually went back and some of the comments have been deleted or removed after her post about how they shouldn't criticize her for uploading the fun moments in her life.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Good luck to Zijun. I just love watching her skate. Don't see anything wrong with her programs--sure, it'll be nice to see something different, but she does seem genuinely happy to be skating in her current style.

Hopefully she can get rid of the strange URs that have cropped up during the second half of the season. I don't understand why she's underrotating--she seems to have good technique, airtime, and flow on her jumps. I guess mental error/lack of confidence?

As for the lutz, I hope she does what Ashley is doing--removing it in the early season since it's not worth the points, but gradually introducing it back as she works on the edge.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
The statement in the article is strange and it seems like she doesn't really know what she's doing. The only way to do multiple (Triple)+Triple combinations in a program without a Triple Lutz is by including...a Double Lutz. There's no way to really "raise the difficulty of your other jumps", unless she means a Triple Axel or Quad, which seems totally out of the question for her jumping ability. Her jump layout was already the max difficulty it could be, aside from perhaps backloading another jumping pass. Her base value would actually decrease if she did the half loop+Triple Salchow combination.

The answer is to work on your jumps such that they are never going to get an 'e' call.

Her BV will decrease, but her TES in competition may actually increase since she's not incurring deductions. She earned 1.96 points for her 3Lze< at Worlds so it may be wise to take it out. I agree that she shouldn't add a second 3-3 combo though to make the program more balanced. Doing a 2Lz looks very juniorish.

I would do an easier layout in the early season and then bring back the 3Lz when she has worked on it.

Maybe a layout like this would be good to start: 3F+3T, 2A+2T, 3L, 3S+2T+2L, 3F, 3S, 2A