Program Elements -who submits this information? | Golden Skate

Program Elements -who submits this information?

concorde

Medalist
My daughter Is finally going skate at the Juvenile level this year. Since it is IJS, a program content needs to be submitted.

I assumed the coaches would take care of it. When I asked them about it earlier this week, I was told that I needed to enter it. When I asked what to enter, I was told that my daughter knew the information.

Is this normal? I could understand more if my daughter was older but she is only 10. Entering the jumps is easy, it was the spin types and step sequence that got me.

It turns out the content info was due 4/17. I thought about asking Monday of this week so by the time i got the info from the coaches regarding the process, I entered it last night (12 days after the deadline). Hope that is ok, if it is not, then oh well.

The competition is next week so I now view it as more of a learning experience.

Last edited:

loopy

Final Flight
I gave my log in code to my coach and she entered them for me (the comp used entryeeze). If it were on paper, I'd have her look it over before I submitted.

concorde

Medalist
I wish I was given that as an option.

I had my daughter tell me what her program was and the coach provided some comments. When I went to enter it, I still had to guess in a couple of spots. Then i gave my guesses back to the coach to verify and still got one wrong so i had to edit the information.

Btw - In a single free skate, what is the difference between a "step sequence" and a "choreographed step sequence"? I now know she is doing the choreographed one.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Btw - In a single free skate, what is the difference between a "step sequence" and a "choreographed step sequence"? I now know she is doing the choreographed one.

The step sequence (code StSq) can earn different levels with different base values for including certain kinds of difficulty.

The choreographed step sequence (code ChSt) always has the same base value, so the distinctions between more or fewer points for that element are all in the grades of execution.

This varies depending on the competition level. Juveniles always have choreographed step sequences.

The idea is that skaters at that skill level should focus on doing what they can do well, and making the steps fit the music and choreography, rather than be rewarded for cramming in as much difficulty as possible with low quality.

(Senior freeskates have two sequences, so one is leveled and one is choreographed.)

concorde

Medalist
So essentially the tech panel uses my information as a "guide." There is no penalty if i list it incorrectly.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
So essentially the tech panel uses my information as a "guide." There is no penalty if i list it incorrectly.

Correct. It is not unknown for skaters to just write up a random PPC (as we call them - Planned Program Content) and hand it in with the entry. Our competition guidelines basically say that an entry is incomplete unless it is accompanied by a PPC for IJS levels.

The tech panel will "pre-call" off the PPC - that is, "next element, jump", but they won't be too thrown if the next element is a spin.

You can check to see if your daughter is doing a ChSq (Choreographed Sequence) or a StSq (Step Sequence). Spins are easy: everything ends in Sp. There is an abbreviation for type: L (layback), U (upright), S (sit), C (camel), Co (combination). A change of foot just requires a "C" added to the front, and a flying spin just requires an "F". If it is both a fly and a change the protocol is to put the fly first, so: FC.

concorde

Medalist
Thank you!!

I had to enter the information into the members only section of the USFS website so I was limited in some choices especially when it came to spins.

concorde

Medalist
Too weird - my timing of this first posting and the USFS Governing Council meeting. If I understand correctly, one of my daughter's double-doubles can be switched a double-double-single combo and she will get points for that extra single (after July 1).

Item 319: Reconsidered and Approved as originally proposed - Singles Committee
Amend rule 4240 (page 147, Rulebook) to allow a three-jump combination in the juvenile and open juvenile well-balanced free skate:
Jump combinations are limited to two jumps except that skaters perform one three-jump combination with a maximum of two double jumps.
Implementation date: July 1, 2015