Kentucky Derby Saturday, May 2nd | Golden Skate

Kentucky Derby Saturday, May 2nd

Johar

Medalist
Best of luck to the horses and your picks.

Churchill Downs
1 1/4 miles
Purse: $2-million
post time 6:24 Eastern

1. Ocho Ocho Ocho 50-1
2. Carpe Diem 8-1
3. Materiality 12-1
4. Tencendur 30-1
5. Danzig Moon 30-1
6. Mubtaahij 20-1
7. El Kabeir------scratched
8. Dortmund 3-1 ---undefeated in 6 starts
9. Bolo 30-1
10. Firing Line 12-1
11 Stanford----scratched
12. International Star 20-1------------------scratched
13. Itsaknockout 30-1
14. Keen Ice 50-1
15. Frosted 15-1
16. War Stoy 50-1
17. Mr. Z 50-1
18. American Pharoah 5-2 ----has won last 4 starts, by a combined 22 1/2 lengths
19. Upstart 15-1
20. Frammento 50-1

Last edited:

Johar

Medalist
Today. Sore foot. And someone on FB posted a pic of their arm after Danzig Moon bit them. Yikes.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Johar, I was thinking about you and I knew you would post about the Derby.... :bow: I can always count on you.

Who is your favorite??

Who do you think will win??

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Johar, I was thinking about you and I knew you would post about the Derby.... :bow: I can always count on you.

Who is your favorite??

Who do you think will win??

We'll be watching! Great memories from actually being there last year!

Johar

Medalist
Thanks, Dee!

The big three--Dortmund, Carpe Diem and American Pharoah, are who I am looking at. I would be pleased if the Dubai horse, Mubtaahij, won, becayse he is going Lasix -free today. He won in Dubai in international competition quite convincingly. However, American dirt racing is alot faster.

Dortmund is undefeated in 6 starts. He is so big that traffic may slow him. His last race was slow.

Carpe Diem's record is 5(4-1-1). His last win was in the Blue Grass. However, his Beyer Speed Figure suggest 5 horses are faster today. Post #2 was last won by Affirmed in 1978.

American Pharoah has won 4 times by a combined total of 22 lengths. He has never been tested, though, but the likes of Carpe, Materiality, etc.

Materiality is one of the fastest in the fiels. Impressive debut and impressive last race, a win in the Florida Derby. He was unraced as a 2-year-old and the onlty horse to win the Derby unraced as a 2-year-old is Apollo in 1882.

Last edited:

Johar

Medalist
Frosted has never run a poor race. According to USA Today, he "made a too big of leap, figuring to regress after his Wood Memorial win. No Wood starter has finished in the top 3 since 2003."

War Story has never been worse than 3rd but others appear to be better, faster.

Mr. Z has run all over the country and faced the top horses. But he finished last in the Louisiana Derby.

Upstart is bred for the distance, is fast enough, but his last race was a slow one.

Frammento--is a closer and speed will set that up for him. Others will be closing faster and he hasn't won a prior Stakes race.

Keen Ice is bred for the distance. his record of 7(1-0-2) is iffy. Last start was a 4th in the Louisiana Derby.

Itsaknockout
is 4(3-0-0) is a stalker and the fast pace up front benefits him, but his last start was a 4th in the Florida Derby, losing by 21 lengths.

Last edited:

Johar

Medalist
Far Right is a little horse who can handle traffic and thrives running along the rail. But other horses are faster.

Firing Line almost beat Dortmund and then won the Sunland Derby by 14 lengths. But the other horses in the Sunland Derby were not much to write home about.

Bolo might be the best 3-year-old turf horse in the country and grass horses fare well in the Derby. Doesn't have the same finishes on dirt as turf.

Danzig Moon
is a meanish horse (he bites!) who is rapidly improving. But has to makeup alot of ground on the big three.

Tencendur
2nd in Wood was big, but if he couldn't win the Wood after pressing a slow pace, then 1 1/4 miles is likely a no-go.

Ocho Ocho Ocho poor post posistion and 3rd in his last start makes him iffy.

Last edited:

Johar

Medalist
I'm not interested in hats, Tara or Johnny. Show me horses, their trainers and their owners.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What a day for Bob Baffert! I loved his som Bodie's (or is it Bode?) reaction!

Johar

Medalist
It's Bode. Even had a horse named Bodemeister.

Very happy Gary Stevens got a 2nd aboard Firing Line. Did you see the clip of him and his 1997 Derby horse Silver Charm meeting after a decade or so?

Last edited:

Skategmt

On the Ice

Very happy Gary Stevens got a 2nd aboard Firing Line. Did you see the clip of him and his 1997 Derby horse Silver Charm meeting after a decade or so?

I was glad for Stevens too. I missed seeing Rosie Napravnik there though. Hopefully she will be bacK after she has her baby :)

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Oh, yes! That was a lovely clip! I would say it was a great day for Gary Stevens, too!

TwinnerA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Darn, I missed Josh Groban. I always root for whichever horse Bob Baffert trains. I went to the University of Arizona at the same time he did and was in the same sorority as his sister. I think Bob was on the six year plan (LOL) and was in a the fraternity next door. Twice he has been in line to win the Triple Crown but just came up short in the Belmont. Bob sure looks different with that white hair as his hair was nearly black in college!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^ Someone posted Josh's singing of the national Anthem on Youtube. I don't have the link with me, but you can check it out there.

Johar

Medalist
On to the Preakness Stakes this coming Saturday, at Pimlico. The 2nd leg of the Triple Crown. Dortmund, American P and Carpe Diem are coming back.