Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Worst Pop/Top 40 Songs Ever

Originally posted by Rgirl
    Piel,
    Hmm, I gotta tell ya, you knowing all that history about Johnny Horton is just a little bit scary

Rgirl
    A mind is a terrible thing to waste, huh? LOL

Nah....I just looked it up. I wanted to make sure that Johnny was the artist behind "Sink the Bismark" after reading Aloft's post about maritime disasters. I was surprised to learn that he married Hank's widow. Hank Williams was found dead in the back seat of his car near Oak Hill, WV.

Nothing against Country Western music, but someone told me once that in country songs, someone was always, "lying, dying, or crying".....here's a song that cracks me up everytime I hear it, "Drop Kick Me Jesus Through the Goal Posts of Life" (I kid you not)....... 42

Country Music Lowers Your Kid's IQ

May 05 '04

By DENNISD'ANTONIO

NEW BEDFORD, Mass. - Young children exposed to country music score lower on IQ tests than kids raised on rock 'n' roll, declares controversial music professor Dr. Roger Solett - and he bases his startling claim on the results of a study of 1,000 kids!

"Country music makes kids stupid," he said. "It's the mind- warping lyrics." And he cited a few examples drawn from what he called "some of the most popular country songs of the past two decades." On the list:

"I'd Rather Have a Bottle in Front of Me Than a Frontal Lobotomy."

"Get Your Tongue Outta My Mouth 'Cause I'm Kissin' You Goodbye."

"If You Wanna Keep Your Beer Cold, Put It Next to My Ex-wife's Heart."

Dr. Solett is the former director of the prestigious Chopin Symphony and a professor of music. He said he and his research team gave IQ tests to 500 6-year-olds whose parents played country music in the house or car daily.

"They're Billy Ray Cyrus, Faith Hill, Clint Black, Randy Travis, Garth Brooks fans - and their children scored, on average, 10 points lower on standard IQ tests than 500 6-year-olds whose parents are rock 'n' roll junkies," said Dr. Solett.

"Now what's the difference between rock and country? It's just wild people banging on drums and strumming guitars in both cases. Lots of howling. Lots of noise. The only difference between rock and country is that country is stupid - the lyrics, I mean.

" 'I wanna whip your cow . . . I fell on a pile of you and got love all over me . . . Drop-kick me, Jesus, through the goalposts of life' . . . I mean, c'mon, this kinda stuff'll warp your mind."

But Dr. Solett's controversial study, and particularly his views, are not shared by many, if any, of his peers. And a member of his own research team, who asked to remain anonymous, told Weekly World News, "He hates hick music with a passion."

Copyright © 2003-2004 American Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved

Wow, Piel that was interesting and hysterical at the same time...........now I am wondering what type of music made IQ's climb? Classical, Opera, or music from Sesame Street? 42

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    Originally posted by Lucy25
    Hee hee. This reminds me of the episode of "The Simpsons" when Bart passes lyrics to this song to the people going into church. The old lady organist nearly has a heart attack playing the music. One of the best Simpsons' segments ever.
    Totally agree with you -- that one cracks me up every time!! [Today's hymn is "In The Garden of Eden" ....... Hey, Marge, remember when we used to make out to this hymn??]

Some of you country fans (and even some of you who aren't) may remember a hideous little ditty called "Break My Mind" -- I'm not sure who covered it originally or who else has overall, but the version I heard is by Linda Ronstadt, early in her career and obviously before she developed into the vocal talent she later became. She's got this hideous "down-home" twang going on the entire time she's singing lyrics like "Break my miiiiiiiiiiind, break my miiiiiiiiind, oh I just can't stand to hear them big jet engines waaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhnnnnnnn". It's songs like that that give country music a bad name.

Well, if we're adding country music titles, then you have just GOT to check out this list of 200+ cheesy song titles:

http://www.downstream.ca/country.htm

Some of my "favorites" include:

"Am I Double Parked by the Curbstone of Your Heart?"
    "At the Gas Station of Love, I Got the Self Service Pump"
    "Billy Broke My Heart at Walgreens and I Cried All the Way to Sears"
    "Bubba Shot the Jukebox"
    "Did I Shave My Legs for This?" (Deana Carter)
    "Get Your Biscuits In The Oven, And Your Buns In The Bed"
    "How Come Your Dog Don't Bite Nobody But Me?" (by Mel Tillis)
    "I Flushed You From The Toilets Of My Heart " (Written by Jack Clement )

"If I Can't Be Number One In Your Life, Then Number Two On You"
    I lauged hysterically over this one!

Last Night I Went to Bed with a "10" and Woke this Morning with a "2" (by Willie Nelson)
    "My Wife Ran Off With My Best Friend, And I Sure Do Miss Him " (by Phil Earhart)
    "Queen of my Doublewide Trailer"
    "She Got The Ring And I Got The Finger"
    "You're The Reason Our Kids Are So Ugly" (recorded by Conway Twitty & Loretta Lynn"

Then there are the cow songs:
    "Cow Cow Blues"
    "Cow Cow Boogie - Moo Moo My Love" (recorded by many artists including The Judds & Mel Torme)
    "Cow Cow Strut"

"I Can't Taste the Vodka in This Drink"

Not an actual song, but a title from a "greatest hits" collection by a country singer played by John Laroquette in a Saturday Night Live episode from the late 80s/early 90s. Wish I could remember some of the other titles from that sketch, the whole thing was absolutely hysterical...

Custom Title
    Ahem, Tainted Love is an AWESOME SONG! You can't go wrong with it, in fact it is currently my cell phone ring tone . But IMO the number one most annoyingly annoying song would have to be Hey Ya by Outkast. Yes, you won a Grammy, but no, that doesn't mean that every radio station in the world has to play it! It never ends!! But any of the cartoon character's trying to sing Christmas songs comes close. Wasn't there one with the muppets and John Denver singing "The Twelve Days of Christmas?" <shudders> make them sssstttttooooppppp!!!
    Laura

Tripping on the Podium
    I'm not sure what the name of the song was, but a line from it is "you & me ain't nothin' but mamals, lets do it like they do on the discovery channel" - that has to be the worst song EVER!!!

Then there are "classics" like:
    Mmm Bop (sp?) by Hanson
    The Thong Song by Sisqo
    Not A Girl, Not Yet A Woman by Britney Spears
    My Heart Will Go On by Celine Dion

I could go on & on, but I will stop for now w/ possibly the most annoying song ever:

"It's the song that never ends, yes, it goes on & on my friends, some people started singing it not knowing what it was, but they'll continue singing it forever just because, it's the song that never ends....." & on & on it goes :sheesh:

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
    Originally posted by Becca84
    I'm not sure what the name of the song was, but a line from it is "you & me ain't nothin' but mamals, lets do it like they do on the discovery channel" - that has to be the worst song EVER!!!

That's "The Bad Touch" by the Bloodhound Gang. I think they're fabulous! And very entertaining to see in concert. Anyway. :D

Look, you have all listed some monstrously bad songs. But I still maintain that they completely pale, heck, are even non existent when compared to that song spawned straight from the lowest regions of hell, the vile horrendous monstrosity that is "Mmm Mmmm Mmmm." You can list some bad songs. But none of come close....

Laura
    Last edited by PrincessLeppard; 05-26-2004 at 04:30 PM.

I LOVE "Tainted Love"!! Matter of fact, for YEARS I have had a pairs program in mind choreographed to that!!

Not the droid you're looking for
    Um, I love "Tainted Love" and "Bad Touch", too. No accounting for taste, is there?
    Rave

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6