Worst Pop/Top 40 Songs Ever | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Worst Pop/Top 40 Songs Ever

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Does anyone remember the title of the theme song for "Free Willy" (performed by Michael Jackson)? That was absolutely horrendous! I can just picture him in his magic tree playing with his detachable nose! Actually, I'd have to say anything Michael Jackson has done after 92 or so has been terrible (in my opinion). I miss the days of "Thriller". I actually enjoyed him then...although I was only six and he hadn't started to morph at that point.

Hmmmm....I'll have to think of more.

valuvsmk

Rinkside
Piel said:
Move to the head of the class by naming who had a hit titled "I'll Be Doggone"????:D

Motown's Marvin Gaye.

What about "One Tin Soldier" by Coven from the atrocious movie "Billy Jack"?

I'm ROFLMAO too hard to think of any. These are inspired!

Instead I'll add some trivia. The Bubble Gum hit "Yummy, Yummy, Yummy (I've Got Love in My Tummy)" was written to mean exactly what you naughty folks like me think it means. The band wrote it that way on purpose just because they knew theycould get away with it.

But if I had to pick one as THE worst, I'd have to go with Twinnie and "Muskrat Love." Yeah, that's going to turn me on. The thought of rodents humping.
Rgirl

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Rgirl said:
But if I had to pick one as THE worst, I'd have to go with Twinnie and "Muskrat Love." Yeah, that's going to turn me on. The thought of rodents humping.
Rgirl

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Lucy25

Final Flight
Piel said:
"Wildfire"
Totally agree! Keeping with the horse theme, I'll add "Horse With No Name" to the list.

"We are the World" and "Do They Know it's Christmas Time (Feed the World)" make me want to barf.
"Electric Avenue"
"Sitting by the Dock of a Bay" (I'm not sure this is the title) The ship sails in, the ship sails out...is there a purpose here?

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Lucy, totally agree with "Sitting on the Dock of the Bay", and may I add "Under The Boardwalk".......I cringe everytime that oldie comes through the radio waves..........yech! 42

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
"Lay, Lady, Lay" - Bob Dylan
"Smokin' in the Boys Room" (YES, INDEED!) - Brownsville Station
"Don't It Make Your Brown Eyes Blue" Crystal Gayle
"Sylvia's Mother" - Dr. Hook
"Rock the Boat" - Hues Corporation

"Tiptoe Through the Tulips" - Tiny Tim (Don't you want to know the truth behind that name?)

"Angel of the Morning" - by that excellent :laugh: songstress, Juice Newton
"Shake Your Booty" - K.C. & The Sunshine Band
"In the Year 2525" - Zager & Evans
"Careless Whisper" - WHAM!
"I Am I Said" (Huh?) - Neil Diamond
"I Honestly Love You" - Olivia Newton-John
"Reunited" - Peaches & Herb

"Sugar, Sugar" - The Archies (Actually, this is the song I meant before when I wrote "Candy Girl"--which is, actually, another gag-me song. In "Sugar, Sugar" there is a line "You are my CANDY GIRL, & you've got me watching you... blah blah blah gag me)

And speaking of candy, "Candy Man" by Sammy Davis, Jr. is a major gag-me song.

There are so many gems to choose from, really!
:eek: :p

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Sister Goldenhair Surprise
Radar love
Sylvia's Mother
Der Commaaser (sp)
Rock Me Amadeus
Let's Get Physical
Xanadu
I Honestly Love You
Up Up and Away
Hair
Indian Lake
These Boots Are Made For Walkin

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Man, it sounds like we don't like any songs..........

Okay, here's some more......"Tie A Yellow Ribbon" (round that old oak tree), "Feelings", "Windmill of Your Mind", "Jesse's Girl", "Rhinestone Cowboy" (don't ya just love Glenn Campbell).....42

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
The whiniest song of all times "Patches"by Clarence Carter

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Hey Piel, you're up awfully late........you're not visiting on the west coast, are you? 42

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Convoy
Please Mr.Please by Olivia Newton John
Brand New Key by Melanie
Bette Davis Eyes
Poetry Man by Phoebe Snow
Tusk

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Piel said:
Convoy
Please Mr.Please by Olivia Newton John
Brand New Key by Melanie
Bette Davis Eyes
Poetry Man by Phoebe Snow
Tusk

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Gosh, every single one of these songs is just awful. I laughed aloud as I read each title, hearing the song play in my head, which led me to an automatic gag reflex reaction. :rolleye: :rolleye:

Lucy25

Final Flight
Piel said:
Sister Goldenhair Surprise

I like this one!:laugh:

I will add "Butterfly Kisses" to the bad song list.
Totally agree with "Sometimes When We Touch".

Lucy25

Final Flight
show 42 said:
and may I add "Under The Boardwalk".......I cringe everytime that oldie comes through the radio waves..........yech! 42
I hate that song, too, but for some reason, it doesn't bother me as much sung by Bette Midler.

Maybe somebody already posted this, but how about:
Walk with me sunshine/Dance with me world
It's a zippity doo dah day!
I'm the happiest girl, in the whole USA!

by the inimitable Donna Fargo

What I wouldn't give to hear somebody sing that song on American Idol just to hear Simon's response.
Rgirl

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Maybe somebody already posted this, but how about:
Walk with me sunshine/Dance with me world
It's a zippity doo dah day!
I'm the happiest girl, in the whole USA!
Crossing over into Country opens up the door to lots of bad songs!

Stand By Your Man
You Ain't Woman Enough To take My Man
The Pill

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Country music is about losing, your woman, your man, your Mama, your job, your truck, or your dog:D :D :D

Last edited:

Aloft04

On the Ice
Whoever thought maritime disasters should be set to music should be keel-hauled. For instance "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald", "Sink the Bismarck" :sheesh: ugh.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Johnny Horton is guilty for "Sink the Bismark" and also the lovely ditty "The Battle of New Orleans". He also sang "North to Alaska" which I like. A little history................

Johnny Horton

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Johnny Horton had several top ten songs in the late 50's and early 60's and was on the verge of becoming one of the top stars of the 60's when he met with tragedy.

He was born John Gale Horton in Los Angeles in 1925. He was raised in Tyler, Texas. Horton worked in the fishing industry in Alaska and California, and attended Seattle University. He worked for a while as a carpenter, and played basketball at Baylor University. He worked at a local radio station in East Texas and at the Hometown Jamboree in California. He did some recording with little success for the Abbott, Mercury, and Dot labels and picked up the nickname the Singing Fisherman. Horton became a regular on the Louisiana Hayride.

Johnny married Billie Jean Jones, the widow of country music legend Hank Williams. He sang country songs and signed a recording contract with Columbia, where he would achieve his greatest success. Some of his first hits included Honky Tonk Man, I'm A One-Woman Man in 1956, Coming Home in 1957 and All Grown Up in 1958. He topped the country charts in 1959 with When It's Springtime In Alaska.

Johnny Horton then began to record a series of saga songs that crossed over to the pop charts. He covered Jimmy Driftwood's The Battle Of New Orleans in 1959. The song topped the country charts and it reached number one on the pop charts, where it remained for a solid six weeks. The song was a tribute to the final battle of the War of 1812. He also recorded Sink The Bismarck in 1960, a song that was suggested by the film of the same title; it went top ten country and pop. Johnny Horton was a star. He sang the title song for the John Wayne movie North To Alaska and it too made the top ten in both charts during the same year.

On November 5, 1960, while North To Alaska was still climbing the charts, Horton was killed in an automobile accident in Milano, Texas following an appearance at the Skyliner in Austin. Following Horton's death some of his earlier hit songs made the charts once again. Albums of his recordings were compiled and issued in the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's, and they are still selling.

His biography was published in 1983 under the title Your Singing Fisherman.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------