Worst Pop/Top 40 Songs Ever | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Worst Pop/Top 40 Songs Ever

Lucy25

Final Flight
Aloft04 said:
Whoever thought maritime disasters should be set to music should be keel-hauled. For instance "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald", "Sink the Bismarck" :sheesh: ugh.
Here in the Detroit area, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" is hugely popular. There is a small church in downtown Detroit that honors the date of the wreck every year, with the tolling of the bells and everything.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
"Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer"

Okay, even if you've never heard that song, the title pretty much tells you that this is not the best song you'll ever hear.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
This thread shows how bad AI could become if any of these songs were used...............:eek: :eek: :eek:

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Rgirl said:
Maybe somebody already posted this, but how about:
Walk with me sunshine/Dance with me world
It's a zippity doo dah day!
I'm the happiest girl, in the whole USA!

by the inimitable Donna Fargo

What I wouldn't give to hear somebody sing that song on American Idol just to hear Simon's response.
Rgirl

AAACK!!! (That could be Simon's response, too!) Oh, Rgirl, I'd completely blocked that song, and now it's back! AAACK!!

But since we're getting into country now, and opening a whole new can of worms...shall we all sing it together now? (heh heh heh)...
"She thinks my tractor's sexy! She loves my farmer's tan..."
Mwah-ha-ha!
Rave

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
"Tell Me Something Good" Rufus featuring Chaka Khan

"Forever In Blue Jeans" Neil Diamond

'Rock the Boat" Hughes Corporation

"Love Potion Number Nine'

"Poison Ivy"
"Shimmy Shimmy Kokopop" (I have no idea how to spell this)

Anything recorded by anyone that ever wore the Micky Mouse ears.

Anything recorded by Dave Saville and the Chipmunks.......Simon, Theodore, and.........................
ALVIN

My favorite being "I Asked the Witchdoctor" all together now...

Ooh, eeh, ooh, ah, ah Bing, bang, wally, wally bing, bang..

Ooh, eeh, ooh, ah, ah, Bing bang, wally, wally, bing, bang!

Last edited:

Kasey

Medalist
"Tubthumping" by Chumbawumba

As great as her voice is, anything by Celine Dion makes me want to ralph...:rolleye:

"The Lion sleeps tonight"....What IS that in the background? "A wingowap?"

Any sappy, pathetic romance ballad, unless I happen to be in love at the time, and then of course, they all rock! he he he

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Annoying & cloying:

"You and Me Against the World" - Helen Reddy
"You Needed Me" - Anne Murray
"Touch Me in the Morning" - Diana Ross

Just plain annoying:
"Tomorrow" from ANNIE (Do you have any idea how many times I had to tell my singing students, "No, you may NOT sing that voice-destroying song as long as I am your teacher!")

"I Got You Babe" - Sonny & Cher (except it was a RIOT when Dorothy & Sophia sang it on "The Golden Girls")

Funny but bad:
"My Ding-a-Ling"

Misunderstood
"In A Gadda da Vida" - Steppenwolf (For a long time I thought it was "In the Garden of Eden")

The song that once you hear it, it's stuck in your head all day especially if you have a child who wants to sing it AS A ROUND every time you get into the car:

"IT'S A SMALL WORLD"

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
RealtorGal said:
Annoying & cloying:

The song that once you hear it, it's stuck in your head all day especially if you have a child who wants to sing it AS A ROUND every time you get into the car:

"IT'S A SMALL WORLD"

When my niece Danielle was about five Mother and I took her to Disney World. The entire trip down she sang, The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow", "Somewhere Over the Rainbow, and ..."Here's a story of a lovely lady......" All the way home it was"It's a Small World":eek: :eek: :eek:

Lucy25

Final Flight
RealtorGal said:
Annoying & cloying:
Misunderstood
"In A Gadda da Vida" - Steppenwolf (For a long time I thought it was "In the Garden of Eden")
Hee hee. This reminds me of the episode of "The Simpsons" when Bart passes lyrics to this song to the people going into church. The old lady organist nearly has a heart attack playing the music. One of the best Simpsons' segments ever.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I have always loved Tomorrow. When my grandchildren were small I had them keep singing it for me and told them you had to sing it real loud. Don't think my daughter will ever forgive me.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
RealtorGal-I LOVED that ep of the Golden Girls!! That was too funny. :D

Some random songs I can think of are anything by a boy band (from Menudo on to NSYNC, they all sound the same to me, LOL) and some of those random 80's songs that really need to go away. "Tainted Love" is like the song that never ends, "Mickey" might be catchy but its got to go too, and there's one other one that I had the title of in my head before but now I can't remember it for anything. I hate when that happens. Well, I'll be back when I remember that other song, LOL :laugh:

This thread is hilarious!! :D

quote:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by RealtorGal
Annoying & cloying:
Misunderstood

------------------------------------------------------------------------

People, people! Let's do honor to these disreputable songs. "In a Gada da Vida" was recorded by Iron Butterfly, not Steppenwolf. But of course you're forgiven, Rgal, since you've conributed so much really important musical knowledge to these threads. BTW, in fact, when came out, the speculation was that it was supposed to mean "In the Garden of Eden." Man, I feel like I'm groovin' on a Sunday afternoon just thinking about it.
Rgirl

Piel,
Hmm, I gotta tell ya, you knowing all that history about Johnny Horton is just a little bit scary;)

Dare us not go into country music (at least on this thread). Forgive me my trespasses into Donna Fargo. Otherwise we'll have to start naming songs like:
D-I-V-O-R-C-E
Don't Come Home a'Drinkin' With Lovin' on Your Mind
and (ooh, oww)
Achey Breaky Heart

MEA CULPA!!!
Rgirl

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Rgirl said:
Piel,
Hmm, I gotta tell ya, you knowing all that history about Johnny Horton is just a little bit scary;)

Rgirl

A mind is a terrible thing to waste, huh? LOL

Nah....I just looked it up. I wanted to make sure that Johnny was the artist behind "Sink the Bismark" after reading Aloft's post about maritime disasters. I was surprised to learn that he married Hank's widow. Hank Williams was found dead in the back seat of his car near Oak Hill, WV.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Nothing against Country Western music, but someone told me once that in country songs, someone was always, "lying, dying, or crying".....here's a song that cracks me up everytime I hear it, "Drop Kick Me Jesus Through the Goal Posts of Life" (I kid you not).......:laugh: 42

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Country Music Lowers Your Kid's IQ

May 05 '04

By DENNISD'ANTONIO

NEW BEDFORD, Mass. - Young children exposed to country music score lower on IQ tests than kids raised on rock 'n' roll, declares controversial music professor Dr. Roger Solett - and he bases his startling claim on the results of a study of 1,000 kids!

"Country music makes kids stupid," he said. "It's the mind- warping lyrics." And he cited a few examples drawn from what he called "some of the most popular country songs of the past two decades." On the list:

"I'd Rather Have a Bottle in Front of Me Than a Frontal Lobotomy."

"Get Your Tongue Outta My Mouth 'Cause I'm Kissin' You Goodbye."

"If You Wanna Keep Your Beer Cold, Put It Next to My Ex-wife's Heart."

Dr. Solett is the former director of the prestigious Chopin Symphony and a professor of music. He said he and his research team gave IQ tests to 500 6-year-olds whose parents played country music in the house or car daily.

"They're Billy Ray Cyrus, Faith Hill, Clint Black, Randy Travis, Garth Brooks fans - and their children scored, on average, 10 points lower on standard IQ tests than 500 6-year-olds whose parents are rock 'n' roll junkies," said Dr. Solett.

"Now what's the difference between rock and country? It's just wild people banging on drums and strumming guitars in both cases. Lots of howling. Lots of noise. The only difference between rock and country is that country is stupid - the lyrics, I mean.

" 'I wanna whip your cow . . . I fell on a pile of you and got love all over me . . . Drop-kick me, Jesus, through the goalposts of life' . . . I mean, c'mon, this kinda stuff'll warp your mind."

But Dr. Solett's controversial study, and particularly his views, are not shared by many, if any, of his peers. And a member of his own research team, who asked to remain anonymous, told Weekly World News, "He hates hick music with a passion."

Copyright © 2003-2004 American Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Wow, Piel that was interesting and hysterical at the same time...........now I am wondering what type of music made IQ's climb? Classical, Opera, or music from Sesame Street? :) 42

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Lucy25 said:
Hee hee. This reminds me of the episode of "The Simpsons" when Bart passes lyrics to this song to the people going into church. The old lady organist nearly has a heart attack playing the music. One of the best Simpsons' segments ever.

Totally agree with you -- that one cracks me up every time!! [Today's hymn is "In The Garden of Eden" ....... Hey, Marge, remember when we used to make out to this hymn??]

Some of you country fans (and even some of you who aren't) may remember a hideous little ditty called "Break My Mind" -- I'm not sure who covered it originally or who else has overall, but the version I heard is by Linda Ronstadt, early in her career and obviously before she developed into the vocal talent she later became. She's got this hideous "down-home" twang going on the entire time she's singing lyrics like "Break my miiiiiiiiiiind, break my miiiiiiiiind, oh I just can't stand to hear them big jet engines waaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhnnnnnnn". It's songs like that that give country music a bad name.