Edea vs Jackson | Golden Skate

Edea vs Jackson

theskatingbutterfly

On the Ice
I am about to get new skates. I am currently in Jackson Elite Skates. I have been looking at Edea skate for a while now, but don't know what to expect! I am looking into the switch because they might actually save me money (long story). Has anyone switched from Jackson to Edea? I am competing Novice this season and hope to be working on triples by the end of the year. Does anyone have any Ice Fly vs. Concerto report? Getting used to them? How quickly they would breakdown for a skater working on doubles through the lutz for now? And how about just sticking with Jackson? I've never had any huge problems with Jackson, just that I get some pretty bad foot pain some time due to ankle pronation that I have corrective inserts for. Anyway, any and all information would be helpful including things that I have not asked about! Thanks!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Ice Flys are rated for triples and quads. They're the boots skaters like Max Aaron and Gracie Gold wear and get months and months out of. I struggle to see how you wouldn't be over-booted in something like that.

theskatingbutterfly

On the Ice
They're actually rated for doubles, triples and quads. There are skaters my level or even lower in those boots that are raving about them.

CdnSk8Fan

Rinkside
I would recommend putting your feet in them first before committing. I've heard skaters think that they would like them and then hate them after they've tried them on. Others will love them.
They are also more suited to a wider foot.

theskatingbutterfly

On the Ice
I would recommend putting your feet in them first before committing. I've heard skaters think that they would like them and then hate them after they've tried them on. Others will love them.
They are also more suited to a wider foot.

If I got them before trying them on my coach would kill me :eek:
My foot tends to be on the wider side.

vlaurend

Final Flight
If you are thinking of getting Edeas, make absolutely sure you are getting them from a certified Edea dealer who knows exactly how to figure out if your foot is right for them. First of all, I disagree that they are wide. They can be stretched to accommodate a wide foot but they are not wide to start. My feet are slightly wide in the front (probably a B in Jackson width) but I have a high instep (the top of the foot) and the Edeas felt tight in the instep and cut off the circulation to my toes. I was later told that I should have gotten a half size bigger (size 250 instead of 245) because they would have more "depth". This is one reason you need a really experienced Edea fitter--their sizing is very unique like that! Anyway, I skated in a friend's Edeas that were the correct size for me, but I still hated how they felt. They felt wobbly in the ankle no matter how tight I tied them, and I felt like I was never standing on top of the blade; I was always falling over to an inside edge or an outside edge. Because they aren't heat moldable, I guess they just don't fit around the ankle like other boots do. It affects some people and doesn't affect others.

concorde

Medalist
The people that I knew loved them from Day 1 since there was no break-in period. However, they became frustrated with them because the laces would not say tied. As a result those skaters (double and above) either duck-taped them on or used Velcro straps to keep them on. So when it was time to get another pair, most opted for a different brand. That was about 2 years ago, I would ask around to see if this issue has been resolved.

vlaurend

Final Flight
Forgot to mention breakdown. Gracie Gold says she goes through a pair of Ice Fly boots every 3 months, which is about normal for any skater doing triples and skating as much as she does. I don't think you would be over-booted in them. There are a lot of younger, lighter skaters in Ice Flies who don't seem to have any issues, probably because the stiffness of the sides of the boots does not prevent knee bend. A lot of skaters at my rink wear Ice Flies and I haven't seen any of them having to tape them (except Gracie when she's about to need a new pair). I think the most important thing is to make sure you have an expert who can help you decide whether they are right for your feet before you spend $$$ on them.

CdnSk8Fan

Rinkside
Are you not able to try them on in the shop before you buy? (That's what I meant, not purchase and try on ice) Most shops here will have a selection that you can try on before ordering / purchasing? Or is this not an option?

theskatingbutterfly

On the Ice
Are you not able to try them on in the shop before you buy? (That's what I meant, not purchase and try on ice) Most shops here will have a selection that you can try on before ordering / purchasing? Or is this not an option?

It is, and I will be. The edea dealer in my state is over an hour drive away and I just can't make that trip, so he is coming to a close competition and I will be trying them on there. So I have to wait a couple weeks, I thought I would ask some questions while I waited!

theskatingbutterfly

On the Ice
Forgot to mention breakdown. Gracie Gold says she goes through a pair of Ice Fly boots every 3 months, which is about normal for any skater doing triples and skating as much as she does. I don't think you would be over-booted in them. There are a lot of younger, lighter skaters in Ice Flies who don't seem to have any issues, probably because the stiffness of the sides of the boots does not prevent knee bend. A lot of skaters at my rink wear Ice Flies and I haven't seen any of them having to tape them (except Gracie when she's about to need a new pair). I think the most important thing is to make sure you have an expert who can help you decide whether they are right for your feet before you spend $$$ on them.

Do you have a reference when she said that? I've heard that she and Max go through that many, but I've also hear that hers last 8-12 months. I've heard both sides equal amounts, so I honestly don't know what to believe with her. I was hoping some people at my same level would tell me how long their's have lasted. There is a girl at my rink who's ice flys lasted over a year, but then she was in them longer than she should have been..

vlaurend

Final Flight
Do you have a reference when she said that? I've heard that she and Max go through that many, but I've also hear that hers last 8-12 months. I've heard both sides equal amounts, so I honestly don't know what to believe with her. I was hoping some people at my same level would tell me how long their's have lasted. There is a girl at my rink who's ice flys lasted over a year, but then she was in them longer than she should have been..

Last April, the Edea rep from Skates US told me the pair Gracie wore at the Olympics were 8 months old, but then in September I personally overheard Gracie at the rink telling Kiira Korpi that she goes through 4 pairs of Edea Ice Flies per year. It was a private conversation that I just happened to overhear, and nobody was trying to sell anything, so I believe the 4 pairs per year number. Again, I think that's pretty typical for any boots with skaters at that level.

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Last April, the Edea rep from Skates US told me the pair Gracie wore at the Olympics were 8 months old, but then in September I personally overheard Gracie at the rink telling Kiira Korpi that she goes through 4 pairs of Edea Ice Flies per year. It was a private conversation that I just happened to overhear, and nobody was trying to sell anything, so I believe the 4 pairs per year number. Again, I think that's pretty typical for any boots with skaters at that level.

Could both be true? Could it be she practice pairs and completion pairs? That could explain the 8 month old ones at the Olympics, but also explain the many pairs. I could see the appeal in breaking in a competition pair, then only wearing them enough to keep them broken in and comfortable. Don't wear them enough to get worn out, wear out and scuff up other pairs.

mskater93

Record Breaker
SM: That wouldn't make sense because the blade life/sharpening would be different between the pairs which could throw a skater off at a competition. I don't know of any skater who does something like that.

When she was in Chicago, we'd see her in a new pair every 3-4 months, so vlaurend's overheard conversation is probably more true than the sales rep. She may have saved some life in a pair of boots that were 8 mos old for the Olympics.

concorde

Medalist
Typically elite skaters have an old pair stashed someplace in case of an emergency. At one international competition, one elite skater had checked her skates and then the airline lost that luggage. The skater's mom had to overnight an old pair to the skater. Maybe something like that happened to Gracie at the Olympics - that would explain the 3 month vs. 8 month.

vlaurend

Final Flight
Or maybe Skates US shipped her the boots more than 8 months before the Olympics but she didn't actually move into them until 6 months later. The boot seller has no way of knowing when a skater actually begins using the boots after they ship them. And who knows if she also had another new pair sitting around in the box. Skaters at her level often get their boots for free because it's such good advertising for the company.

Last edited:

theskatingbutterfly

On the Ice
I jump probably a fourth the height of Gracie, doing only doubles and I probably weigh less than her, and I've heard girls that level go through any kind of boots faster than me simply because of the height they get. I don't think I'll be going through boots that fast. Does anyone who is working on double jumps like me have any imput?

Last edited: