What songs conjure up specific memories in your life? | Golden Skate

What songs conjure up specific memories in your life?

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Since we're all being so musical, how about we tackle it from a different angle?

For example, the song "Rock Lobster" by the B-52s reminds me of my sophomore year in college because my dormmates & I used to act all strange and dance like morons to this song.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
"Stony End" one of my my roomates from college and I had an entire routine to this song I believe that as the blood alcohol level of the audience increased so do did their appreciation of our "talent":D

"Ain't Too Proud To Beg" the scene in "The Big Chill" where everyon is dancing as they are clearing the table so reminds me of evenings with my friends

"My Girl" in junior high school on Sunday afternoons at the civic center there would be "battles of the bands" between these little bands made up of boys from all of the junior and high schools in the valley. sometimes the only thing that they could play that was recognizable was that guitar riff from "My Girl"

"Turn Around, Look At Me", "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted", "Hooked On A Feeling" (B.J. Thomas NOT Blue Swede), "Walk Away Renee", major make out music:eek: :eek: :eek:

"Age of Aquarious" Freshman Formal
"We've Only Just Begun" Junior prom
"Color My World" Senior Prom

"I feel A Song In My Heart" by Gladys Knight the "take that" song to the one that got away

"You belong To Me" ("See the pyramids along the Nile....") one of my all time favorite songs. My Mother says that it was her favorite song while she was carrying me

Last edited:

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Sara by Jefferson Airplane/Starship/whatever It was at the top of the charts when my Sarah was born. I just wish they had used the ''h''

Anything by Donna Summer or the Bee Gees reminds me of high school.

Dh and I decided that the song we danced to on our first date should be our song. Unfortunately, neither of us could ever remember which song it was. We were too busy
:love: falling in love. :love: We spent the next 16+ years trying to figure it out. The only thing we were fairly sure of was that it was a ballad. Either that or we must have looked really idiotic slow dancing. So every slow song from the early 80's makes me wonder if that was our song.

Rachael

On the Ice
Open Arms by Journey. My mom and I slowed danced to it at her wedding 11 years ago.

Losing by Religion by REM. My dad hates this song because he thinks anti-God and not being religious. He made me turn the station when this song came on.

Hey Jude. I would play this song for my roommate. Her name is Judy.

One Wing Angel. This song was playing a night there was an issue with some friends of mine.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I Love You, Yes I Do, Sammy Kay. I haven't heard it since 1948 but it was Our Song. Wish I could hear it again.

4dogknight

Final Flight
When the film "My Girl" came out on cable, Bear and I would dance to the theme song. Bear liked the song "My Girl" but really got down to "What I Say" by Ray Charles.

(Bear was a Black Lab and our "Dog Who Came To Dinner".)
After Bear died I couldn't stand to listen to "My Girl", the pain was just too much.

Several years later one of the local radio stations ran a promo for a concert starring The Temptations and used "My Girl". This promo ran at the usual morning and afternoon drive times and I can't begin to tally the number of Kleenex boxes I went through.
Even now I still can't listen to "My Girl" without tearing up.

4dk

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
.........1972, I had just signed my teaching contract and was driving home. I clicked on the radio and "Lean On Me" was playing. I immediately pulled into K-Mart and bought the single. I still have that record even though I don't own a record player anymore............42

rusalka

On the Ice
"memories" from the musical Cats. it's not a song related to something particular but it makes me want to cry!

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
SusanBeth, thanks so much for that. Of course, had to have a crying binge as it's been a hard week. Hubby died 5 years ago the 20th and is always sad then and other special times.
:cry:

icenut84

Final Flight
"Glorious" by Andreas Johnson (I think). It always reminds me of when I was doing my GCSEs, because there were builders at my school at the time doing extensions on the building, and they were working in the corridor outside my classroom where we were having a revision lesson, and they kept playing that song.

Dido - "Here With Me". That one has bad memories relating to my ex so I don't like to hear it any more (although I've got Dido's album that it's on).

"Simply the Best" by Tina Turner always brings back memories of the gymnastics displays we did in school, because that was the song used every year for the vaulting display of the top year. :) I didn't do the vaulting at school (just did the floor routines), but we got to watch it.

"Under the Bridge" by All Saints - because me & some of my friends were due to sing it in the school Talent Show one year, although we didn't end up doing it in the end.

"Hot Stuff" by Donna Summer. I was at school when the film The Full Monty came out, and me & my friends loved it. I remember once we were in a silly mood in the queue for dinner, and we were singing it, and all started doing the dance that the characters in the film do in the dole queue... :lol:

They're the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Edited for a few names I forgot.

Last edited:

Chele615

Rinkside
Sadly, I have so many songs that have some type of memory stuck to them :)

"Teenage Dirtbag" by Wheatus...my college roommate and I used to blare this song in our room and dance around. We still have to throw it in the cd player while in the car for good times!

"Can't Escape My Love" by Enrique Iglesias...my friends and I have a dance to this song that we will randomly do on cue ;)

"End of the Road" by Boyz II Men...the first song that I slow danced with this kid that I had the hugest crush on for like all of my high school years ;)

"More Than Words" by Extreme and "Open Arms" by Journey...two of my best friends have both belted these tunes out LOUDLY complete with silly dance moves. So everytime I hear them, I picture them and just start laughing!

SusanBeth

Final Flight
(((Grgranny)))

I understand how you feel. My wedding anniversary is July 5th and my dh passed on July 17 th. Let's just say, Kleenex gets a ton of our money that month. It can be hard for some to understand, but a good cry helps you heal. I always feel better afterward. I know that this isn't the end, it's just a time apart. Feel free to pm me if you like.

Aloft04

On the Ice
Oh SusanBeth and Grgranny I feel for you.

My parents were happily married for 66 years and 'their song' was "You Are My Sunshine, My Only Sunshine" - I can't hear that without choking up.

But on the brighter side....parked car, starlit night, Lover's Lane, steamed up windows, first kiss ever, bumped noses....and The Beatles!! "I Want to Hold Your Hand" - bad kisser/good memory ;)

"Joy to The World" by Three Dog Night reminds me of my first JR. High dance

"Stuck In The Middle With You" and "No More Mr. Nice Guy" remind me of Wed. & Sat. nights at the roller rink

"Loves Me Like a Rock" by Paul Simon reminds me of my first BF

"Afternoon Delight" by Starland Vocal Band (I know it's listed on the "worst songs" thread) is "our song" (mine and my hubby's from our dating days)

"Manic Monday" by the Bangles reminds me of a great vacation we had in Florida

"Baby I Love Your Ways" by Peter Frampton reminds me of the lonely days while hubby, during our dating years, was away at college

"Brick House" reminds me of Kurt Brownings great performance in the '96 SOI tour

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Ole Buttermilk Sky. It used to be on the juke boxes when I was working and was so lonely. I still remember sitting in the restaurant for breakfast and hearing it. Poor Little Robin, Any Old Rags, Any Ole Bones, & You Are My Sunshine. My husband used to sing them to the kids and they just loved it. He couldn't carry a tune and had no sense of rhythm but he made faces and acted them out. Dance Ballerina Dance was played at the dances when I was dancing. My husband hardly danced. It was with other dates. Hubby hated dancing and I loved it but since he had no sense of rhythm he just couldn't get it. And this was a guy with a really high intelligence!!

Kasey

Medalist
"American Pie" by Don McClean....was the first time I ever "danced" with the man who would become my stepfather in name, but my DAD in all other areas of my life. I was 6 years old, and my mom still blames me sometimes, saying "You liked him before I did!" I still love that song.

Kasey

Longhornliz

Final Flight
Anything by Aimee Man or off of the "magnolia" movie soundtrack usually reminds me of my senior year of HS.

There is a song called "the middle" by Jimmy eat world, and the lyrics realy apply to this odd transition state I'm in between college and being a grown up... its very uplifting when I hear it in the car.

Its track number 3 at this address
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...102-7663316-9469764?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

"Lets stay together" by Al Green was the song my ex boyfriend used to sing to me when he was in trouble and trying to get back into my favor... I dont enjoy hearing it now adays.

Last edited:

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
"Friends" -Michael W. Smith -It was sung at my high school graduation so I always think of all my HS friends when I hear it.

"Because You Loved Me" -Celine Dion -I think back to my college friends because one of the first big trips we all took together was to Cedar Point and to this woman's concert (which was awesome). Great memories. :D

"Malaguena" -EVERY time a skater uses this music I cringe because we did about 1/3 of my senior year marching band show to that music. The routine we had to learn for drill team was SOOO long and we heard that music SOOO much! LOL :eek:

"Ravensburger Waltz" -I think I only heard it like 50 something times at US Nats, LOL ;) If I EVER hear it again, I think that will be too soon, LOL :laugh:

"Escape" -Enrique Eglasius, "Techno Heaven" -DJ Sammy, Anything by Clay Aiken or any random SOI music from the last two years of shows!
-These are some of my random road trip car songs. Gotta love the road trips. :D