Alina Adams Skating Murder Mystery | Golden Skate

Alina Adams Skating Murder Mystery

alicelouise

Rinkside
I came across a book called "Murder on Ice" by Alina Adams. Has anyone read this? It seems to combine what I like most; mysteries (Agatha Christie is my favorite) and figure skating(Michelle Kwan is the fave).

The plot: At a World Championships, held in the USA, a Russian(think Maria B.+Oksana B.+Marina A.) wins the Ladies Championship over the favored American(think Kristi Phillips+Tara ) by one vote. The American public is in an uproar. The uproar escalates when the judge who casts the deciding vote is found dead by murder.

This is the farthest I've read. If anyone has read this is it any good? It seems a bit over the top; especially with the portrayal of the sportcasters. Do Peggy Fleming, Dick Button, and Terry Gannon really dislike each other that much? The reason I ask is that the author is credited as being a researcher for ABC and ESPN. Most importantly, is Bex Levy a sleuth who can hold her own with the likes of Hercule Poirot and Jane Marple? Well, at least enough to want to fininsh the mystery.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
alicelouise:

No, I have not heard of "Murder on Ice," but I'll bet a few of the skaters have thought of that towards some of the judges at one time or another! - No just kidding - with a title like that who could resist?

Happy reading!

:laugh:

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
There's a thread on this from about two weeks ago. I read the book; it's cute. Not great literature, but I liked it.

Laura :)

IDLERACER

Medalist
I'm not familiar with the book, but if it includes a character named Gillooly, I think I can figure out the ending without even reading it.

JOHIO2

Medalist
I read it too. Fluffy, but funny. Whether Dick and Peggy get along or not, don't you like the idea of all that hypocracy?

On TV Guide/Channels station: they did an interview with Chef Rocco DiSpirito and asked him why he did the Restaurant tv show. His answer: why let all that masochism go to waste! (or considering his profession-why let all that masochism go to waist?)

I took the book as part venting and part spoof and happily finished it.

Spirit

On the Ice
alicelouise said:
The American public is in an uproar.

Well, there goes my suspension of disbelief. :) The American public would get into an uproar over the Olympics, but Worlds? Unless you're a figure skating fan, you don't even watch Worlds unless you're channel surfing and decide it looks better than car racing and a basketball game.

And yes, the ABC announcing crew gets along just fine. For Peggy and Dick, just read Peggy's autobiography. She likes him.

Besides, any book which doesn't start with the sentence "It was a dark and stormy night," is not a good book. ;)

http://www.spiritsspace.com/images/snpytype.jpg

Last edited: