Coomes & Buckland Move to Shpilband | Golden Skate

Coomes & Buckland Move to Shpilband

Pipit158

Rinkside
https://twitter.com/pennycoomes/status/597336390641328128

Not clear who's decision this was: C&B or Platov.

Penny's Instagram said:
After a positive beginning, last season did not end in the way that Nick and I had hoped for. During our preparation for the World Championships I noticed that I was becoming more fatigued than usual, and within a few days I started to experience difficulty breathing. I continued training and doing what I could in the hope that I would still be able to compete. However about a week before we were scheduled to leave, my doctors in America took the decision out of my hands and said I wasn't medically fit to travel to China and compete at the World Championships. Upon returning to England and working with my medical team here, I am now feeling a lot better and ready to start training again.
After an abrupt and unexpected finish to our toughest season, we were faced with a difficult proposition. We were asked to move to Detroit to train with Igor Shpilband. As hard as it's been for us all, we are looking forward to a fresh start and gaining a new perspective from Igor and his team. We are excited to start a new chapter of our lives tomorrow.

We cannot express how hard it has been for us to leave Evgeny, nor put into words what he has done for us both over the past 5 years. We will miss him and our team in New Jersey dearly. Evgeny Platov has become, and always will be part of our family.

Last edited by a moderator:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The rules changed a lot this last season. They changed in ways that were unfavorable to couples with a large size difference whose strength was great lifts; in other words, Penny and Nick and Chock and Bates. C&B still managed to make the transition to the new rules. Shpilband is their coach. It is a logical move for Penny and Nick.

I will miss Platov's choreo. However, Igor seems to be OK with students' using outside choreo. I hope Platov will continue to do Penny & Nick's choreo. :bow:

Last edited:

uhh

Medalist
The rules changed a lot this last season. They changed in ways that were unfavorable to couples with a large size difference whose strength was great lifts; in other words, Penny and Nick and Chock and Bates. C&B still managed to make the transition to the new rules. Shpilband is their coach. It is a logical move for Penny and Nick.

I will miss Platov's choreo. However, Igor seems to be OK with students' using outside choreo. I hope Platov will continue to do Penny & Nick's choreo. :bow:

I wouldn't interpret it like that at all. Penny & Nick made huge strides over the summer, and their results in the first half of the season were fantastic; 2 senior B victories, their 1st GP medal and scores that were miles ahead of where they were last year. Had they been healthy, they would have challenged for their 2nd Euro medal. There was no obvious need for a coaching change & from Penny's statement it sounds like it was forced upon them. This is unfortunately typical of NISA's personnel interfere where they aren't needed & to use skaters as their collateral in internal power struggles, and right now there is a rather messy campaign over changes to the board structure & constitution, which skaters have already been dragged into rather against their will.

Platov didn't do their choreo either, it was Phil Askew.

Barb

Record Breaker
yes Penny and Nick did very well last season before her disease, but they and we can not ignore the excellent results that teams get with Igor, VM, DW, Shibs, CL, and now CB, and him dont have many elite teams, I think it is a very smart movement especially if they keep the choreography of Platov.

Last edited:

azcalder

Rinkside
Phillip Askew is Penney's step father. It will be interesting to see if he follows them to Detroit. Also Nick's younger brother, Joseph and partner Olivia Smart train with Platov...and so the ice dancers continue on the roulette wheel...Detroit >Montreal / NY > Detroit.

slider11

Medalist
I hope Penny and Nicholas keep their last year's fd with the butterfly theme. Can't remember the music but loved the performance. My memory is fuzzy but I think I remember Nicholas falling on an element at the end of one of the programs at a GP event and that kept that out of the GP Final. Then it seemed downhill from there. With Penny hopefully well now, I look forward to an interesting season for them as potentially a top 6-8 team.