'Jeremy Abbott aims to be a contender' - Examiner Article | Page 4 | Golden Skate

'Jeremy Abbott aims to be a contender' - Examiner Article

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
It does sometimes annoy me when failing to put the performance together on the big occasion or having a nightmare skate on the big stage or being a bit of a headcase is treated like some moral failing to be condemned and the perpetrator to be shunned as having let the public down. Sometimes the comments do get a bit like that.

I realise people are disappointed when someone they had big hopes of cannot get it together at Worlds or the Olympics, but they aren't the lowest of the low. :rolleye: I am truly sad when skaters I like cannot manage it. However, I am just amazed and admiring of those who can and sad for those who cannot, realising that temperaments vary and talent does not always equal the right temperament and often the right luck. Just thank the universe if you have the privilege to have talent, luck and temperament.

I very much agree with this. Some people battle their own head more than others. There is nothing wrong with that, it is normal. So for me, I also with Jeremy would be less defensive about it, because as you say, it is not a moral failing.

In some ways I wish Jeremy would embrace it a bit more and just admit it. He could actually come across as very endearing if he did. Everyone has to battle their own head, some people heads are just bigger pains in the engine. So the mental aspect is something Jeremy may need to work on more than others, while others have to work on their artistry more than Jeremy. To me it is all part of the training process, learning what you need to work on. Josh Farris the mental aspect is something that is hard for him and that he is working on and has even mentioned being happy with what he sees as improvements. Jeremy could do much the same.

centerpt1

On the Ice
He actually has talked about it-again and again. Jeremy has given interviews talking about it for years. If you are not a fan you just haven't read them. He talked about seeing a sports psychologist way back when he was with Tom Z-and even called himself "a bit of a headcase" back then. When he talks about it and the challenges he faces with focus in competition, everyone says he's making excuses. He hasn't talked about it as much lately-but he's always owned his issues.

This is one of the things I love about Jeremy- he has ongoing struggles, admits it, tries everything he can to overcome it, and soldiers on.

Last edited:

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
I wasn't talking about skaters being defensive, just to be clear. I was talking about comments of viewers / public / fans.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jeremy really needs to retire. I'm sure at this time next year he will find reasons to stay in for another year and try to redeem himself yet again. He's 30 years old and can't keep up technically with these younger skaters and his jumps are declining.

centerpt1

On the Ice
Actually, his jumps are improving. He has much more control than he used to. What IS declining, is his stamina at the end of the LP. (at least that's what I see)

noskates

Record Breaker
Don't know that I would agree with you that his jumps are improving. But I will agree that his stamina is an issue. I think his performances at Nats this year were indicative of what we're going to get from him from now on. As I've said before, when Jeremy is "on" there are not many men I would rather watch. His musical interpretation and his sense of choreography and unparalelled (spelling?) with the current crop of skaters. Like Alissa C.....all that promise, a few shining moments, and a lot of disappointment.

centerpt1

On the Ice
I think his performances at Nats this year were indicative of what we're going to get from him from now on.

Not sure about this. From several accounts, he is skating better right now than he has in years.

Our current champ wasn't close to rotating a quad, let alone landing one-at least last we saw publicly.

So who knows.

I enjoy watching Jeremy skate. I really don't expect international wows at this moment-but as a fan, I'd love to see him medal at Nationals again. (and a medal on the GP again would be nice)

I just want to see him skate.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I don't think you can say that what we saw from Jeremy at Nationals was a true indicator of anything. His father had just died; I was impressed that he was able to skate at all.

carriecmu0503

On the Ice
I was at DSC a few weeks ago. Jeremy was skating very well. He was landing quad toe, and was close to landing the quad sal. All the attempts of the sal I saw were fully rotated. His triple Axel was effortless. When he is on, he is still the best male skater the US has to offer. Not only had his father passed away right before Nationals last year, he wasn't even home to train. Yuka flew out to CO to work with him, but his whole routine was thrown off. I give him all the props in the world for making it through Nationals; that he was able to skate as well as he did says a great deal about his inner strength. I personally would be very happy to see him continue if that is what his heart desires. Jeremy is well aware of what it will take to be competitive, and he is working his tail off at DSC.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I was at DSC a few weeks ago. Jeremy was skating very well. He was landing quad toe, and was close to landing the quad sal. All the attempts of the sal I saw were fully rotated. His triple Axel was effortless. When he is on, he is still the best male skater the US has to offer. Not only had his father passed away right before Nationals last year, he wasn't even home to train. Yuka flew out to CO to work with him, but his whole routine was thrown off. I give him all the props in the world for making it through Nationals; that he was able to skate as well as he did says a great deal about his inner strength. I personally would be very happy to see him continue if that is what his heart desires. Jeremy is well aware of what it will take to be competitive, and he is working his tail off at DSC.
Well, lots of skaters can land things in practice. Max can land a few different quads. Josh probably could as well. Jason at least has landed one clean quad in practice, or else it would've been totally asinine to try at 4CC. I don't think we can conclude Jeremy "when on" is the best US man just based on this.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
I don't agree that even a spot on Jeremy is the best the US has to offer. He's good, but now there are a lot of men in the US who can be the best when they are on.
Joshua, Jason and Max are only getting stronger and better. There's also Adam Rippon, Ross Minor and Richard Dornbush.
If Jeremy does decide to skate next season, he has his work cut out for him. The competition will be strong.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It does sometimes annoy me when failing to put the performance together on the big occasion or having a nightmare skate on the big stage or being a bit of a headcase is treated like some moral failing to be condemned and the perpetrator to be shunned as having let the public down. Sometimes the comments do get a bit like that.

I realise people are disappointed when someone they had big hopes of cannot get it together at Worlds or the Olympics, but they aren't the lowest of the low. :rolleye: I am truly sad when skaters I like cannot manage it. However, I am just amazed and admiring of those who can and sad for those who cannot, realising that temperaments vary and talent does not always equal the right temperament and often the right luck. Just thank the universe if you have the privilege to have talent, luck and temperament.

I hear you. I rather doubt anyone on purposely falters. We are all different - we think differently, have different giftings and such. I really don't think we should encourage people's sense of worth based on a medal or skate. Though I guess we all get caught up lol:) And I know this sounds negative or pessimistic but there are only so many medals and placements on teams etc. I read all these stories so and so ready to move up, so and so adding technical difficulty or working on artistry - and that is awesome. However there are only so many prizers or awards sadly and not everyone can move up - because that means someone has to move down. Like the law of gravity lol. I find it a bit sad that in order to be competitive you need a certain trick or some think a certain type of artistry. I think it is great we all have our favourites but, and I am guilty too, we need to see past that. I am sure Jeremy and like other skaters wished they could control their nerves or land that jump or whatever. They do not sabotage themselves on purpose. I just think so many can see talent and they like to see it fully conveyed. I know he isn't as well known or liked but Emanuel Sandhu kind of reminds me a bit of Jeremy - not so much style but pure talent - that never got fulfilled at the medal moments. Maybe Jeremy's story might be happier? I know some long time fans are losing the faith but regardless I hope Jeremy can at the end of the day when it is time to "LET IT GO!" I hope he finds satisfaction medal or no medal. And applause to him for being truthful about the state of skating in respect to pro shows and competitions and why skaters still compete often.

noskates

Record Breaker
Jeremy generally does skate well until it counts....with the few exceptions when he's won Nationals. That's what I find frustrating about him. He's a beautiful skater with big jumps and good spins and excellent footwork. He just never seems to put all that together when it's on the international scene. That fact that we know he can do it and the fact that he's done it just makes it all the more disappointing when he doesn't come through. I seriously doubt that at this age and after so many years in competition he's going to change dramatically now. If he does....major kudoes.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Go Jeremy! :cheer: Goo Plushy!! :cheer: Gooo Mao!!! :cheer: Goooo Caro!!!! :cheer: Gooooo Ashley!!!!! Goooooo Adam!!!!!! Gooooooo Mirai!!!!!!! Goooooooo everyone!!!!!!!!

hoping im counting it right and typing so. :p

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... It must be difficult to stop doing something you love. In several interviews he said he loves to train and loves to compete. He also loves to perform. Since he didn't get any international shows, or SOI, and there's no pro circuit, what's left? Charity shows-which he's been doing....

Jeremy and Adam have been added to the cast of The Ice :).

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I don't agree that even a spot on Jeremy is the best the US has to offer. He's good, but now there are a lot of men in the US who can be the best when they are on.
Joshua, Jason and Max are only getting stronger and better. There's also Adam Rippon, Ross Minor and Richard Dornbush.

Jeremy, when spot on, has been the best U.S. man since 2008. Richard Dornbush would theoretically be the only one to this point who is maybe better than Jeremy if they all skated their best, since he has shown the ability to do two types of quads, has solid skating skills/spins, and good presentation. Dornbush hasn't shown any capacity to actually do those multiple quads and all of the other triples in a single program, though, so that's really not even worth speculating about as of yet.