Why don't we see more of skaters training? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Why don't we see more of skaters training?

loopy

Final Flight
7 hours at school is typical. When you are in high school you need the same amount of credits as everyone else to graduate. You can do school online, but I have seen enough programs to know it is not rigorous or you can home school. I hope she sleeps well in the car. That is a really hard life even if she becomes an Olympian.

My skater is not going to the Olympics but our drive is 10 minutes to the rink and 15 from the rink to school. - it allows her to have a "normal life" and still skate twice a day. Teens need 8-10 hours of sleep per day and their sleep cycle is different from an adult. They often can't naturally fall asleep until 11pm because of how their bodies produce the hormone melatonin.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Simple: the new elements and programs are often a work in progress. Why put it out for all of your rivals and competitors to see, and why put it out for the media / fans to pick apart? Wait until you've got the finished product like Liza did with her 3A before you post anything. Fundamentally most of the hard work is done behind closed doors.

Also, there just might be less interest than there would be for other sports, like ESPN following the NFL training camps or the NBA all-star weekend.

GypsyFe

On the Ice
I seem to remember TV following 2 or 3 young USA skaters...showing their training, exercise, etc... maybe 8-10 years ago?
About 15 years ago I went to local rink every day & watched elite skaters train with Tarasova and Morosov. To my friends it was quite boring - I was thrilled to watch the constant repetition of elements til perfect. Yagudin was her main skater at the time.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I'm sorry. That's crazy. 4:45 hours to sleep... actually less if you assume that she has to get ready. Aoki is a great talent and at least her rigorous schedule is translating into results, but oh my god, I can only imagine if a skater weren't as successful as her and had that schedule - and I assume many do.
How was it in your time, CSG? The ice rink was near your home or you also have to travel quite far?
Here the ice rink is near my home, very near but it's an ice rink in a shopping center.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
Isn't it bad for someone so young to only sleep that small amount of hours?

Yes. It's very, very bad. It puts her at risk both now and in the future for basically every medical and psychological problem you can think of. I can guarantee that if that's how much sleep she gets 5 days out of the week, she's not performing near her potential physically, mentally, academically, or athletically. Sorry if I'm a little on a soapbox right now. I can't just say "oh, it's what she needs to do". Getting that little sleep that often is just a bad thing.

Still, I get why it's happening and it's not like she's the only teenager sacrificing sleep for other things. Teenagers in the US don't sleep enough either. I also taught at a South Korean high school once and the kids there probably slept the same amount as Yuna Aoki regularly, due to all the pressure to perform in school. I don't know as much about Japanese high schools so I can't speak to whether her sleep schedule is similar to her peers.

Back on topic - I love the videos everyone has posted! I'm looking forward to watching the Yuzuru video with subtitles when I get a chance.

carriecmu0503

On the Ice
I seem to remember TV following 2 or 3 young USA skaters...showing their training, exercise, etc... maybe 8-10 years ago?
About 15 years ago I went to local rink every day & watched elite skaters train with Tarasova and Morosov. To my friends it was quite boring - I was thrilled to watch the constant repetition of elements til perfect. Yagudin was her main skater at the time.

Are you referring to that show Ice Diaries? The one that followed Alissa Czisny, Bebe Liang, Dani Kahle, and Sandy Rucker? That was filmed in the summer of 2005 through the 2006 Junior Worlds.

MoonlightSkater

On the Ice

I think you're thinking of this show: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0497296/

I looked on YouTube, but couldn't find it at first glance.

Edit- oops, I see carrie beat me to it.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

That's pretty cool!! I'm assuming that was Connecticut. I work with a coach who skated there about that time :)

Weathergal

Medalist
While reading this thread, I was thinking it sounded like "Ice Diaries" only I couldn't think of the show name at the time so I am glad someone mentioned it. The gist was following up-and-coming skaters to see if any of them would make it. It showed Sandy Rucker training with Tom Z., Danielle Kahle training with Frank Carroll IIRC, Beatrisa Liang training with Ken Congemi, and Alissa Czisny training with Julie Berlin. Sandy struggled with back pain and ended up retiring from competition. I think she joined Disney on Ice? I think Danielle competed a bit more after that. At one time, she had dated Evan Lysacek, I think. Does anyone know what she is doing these days? Bebe competed for a few more years then went to college. I believe she is also an accomplished pianist. Of course Alissa's story is well known.

I also wonder what Bebe's coach Ken Congemi is doing these days and who he's coaching. I loved his interactions with his students--he seemed so positive and was always so animated. I think at one point he was coaching with Frank Carroll and might have also helped with Lysacek, but I don't believe he works with Carroll anymore. Any info on him would be appreciated. I might also add this to the coaching thread...

Last edited:

karlowens2

On the Ice
Stitch monkey. Thanks for the vimeo bits. really enjoyed it. seeing Alisa as a super competitive person - I never throught of her that way. Also, hearing Frank C. and what he actually say to skaters.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Not exactly on topic, but a USFS "Lifestyle Log" for athletes is shown in photos posted today by Richard Dornbush.

A little peek behind the curtain at an attempt to help athletes with various health issues: sleep, nutrition, stress, etc.
(I imagine that some skaters give serious responses, although Dornbush's answers mostly are for entertainment value ;) :laugh:.)

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I've done some general translation for this TV clip of the young skaters of Aichi prefecture.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2rbmau_0524-愛知が誇る強さの秘密とは_sport
We can call them Akiko’s Kids?
They mostly train under Coach Nagakubo .
Interesting Facts:
When asked who is the most strange or interesting, everyone chose Yokoi. (a very expressive skater who debuted in the JGP event in Aichi last year. She is 15)
She has come to training in mis-matching shoes, and when her name was called at the JGP event, she was so excited she bumped into the boards.
Sota Yamamoto was voted to be the most popular skater. (‘moteru’ popular/attractive)
From about 17:30 of the video
Yokoi’s Training Schedule:
AM 4:15 Breakfast
She says about 5 hours of sleep when she has morning practice
AM 4:40 in car
“I sleep a lot”
AM 5:00 Running
AM 5:45 on ice training with club members 2 hours
AM 7:45 Goes to school in car (eats some bread)
AM 8:20 School begins
“I’m so sleepy”
School mate “Just sleep then like you always do”
“I drop things a lot, since I’m so sleepy, text books and things”
PM 4:20 on –ice training, general public also in the rink at this time.
PM 6:00 Dinner with club members feet still in skates. –Because 20 minutes later they are back on the ice. This time the club gets the whole rink for 1 hour drills.
At the most they get 6 hours of training a day.
PM 7:50 Training ends
Half of her weeks schedule is like this.
Other interesting anecdotes from skaters:
Yokoi says when 3a or 2a comes up in her math class, she automatically thinks of axel jumping.
Hongo says when she sleeps she crosses her legs like she does when jumping
Yokoi has dreams of crowds cheering for her at a senior competition and wakes up
24:00
You can see Akiko is helping Nitada with her choreography.
Nitada says she can’t take in more than one new program at a time. She says Hongo is really good at absorbing new programs.
Akiko is making Hongo’s new SP. This is the first time for Akiko to choreograph a new program and she says she wants to bring out the best in Hongo.
27:30 The quads and 3As.
Hongo wants to be able to land a 3A (shot of her trying 3A) “I’m not very good at axels so it’s going to take some time”
Sota Yamamoto is putting a quad in his program. He says he’s training it to fit in his music.
(shot of Yamamoto training the 4T double footed and the 4S fall-double foot) he says “It’s not perfected yet, I need to raise the success rate for the 4T then also train the 4S
SP Poeta a flamenco that he’s never tried before and FS Tchaikovsky

Last edited:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
I've done some general translation for this TV clip of the young skaters of Aichi prefecture.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2rbmau_0524-愛知が誇る強さの秘密とは_sport

thanks!! 1st of all i love the male host, he seems so funny and it must be relaxing for little ones :laugh:
its such a tough life for skaters, waking up very early, practicing, school and back to practicing, i wish all of them good luck next season, its really tough in Japan
and interesting music choices for rika, wonder how will she interpret riverdance