Films and books about Figure Skating | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Films and books about Figure Skating

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
For fanfics I am not sure ;) I think I would be too uncomfortable reading about Plushy's romantic (or more) adventures lol

Those were in very cultural dimension :laugh: http://users.atw.hu/evgeni/fanfic.html here

Yes :laugh: And Plushy the exhibitionist. He didn't seem to care if there was a camera around when it was time to get changed. There were actually lots of really hilarious moments.

this is my favorite selection https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTT2fgiHD80 Fun with Plushenko and Marton :-D Part 1 - how adorable laughter he has. :laugh:

The one book I would pay any money to get my hands on an official English translation of would be Mishin's books about jump technique.

it deserves an official translate

Last edited:

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker

Sabrina

Record Breaker
There is one romantic movie I watched when i was very little and loved figure skating, called Ice Castles (1978) with Robby Benson and Lyn Johnson
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077716/
At that time I loved it, but I'm not so sure i'd like it as much now, though I still love figures skating...

elysium

On the Ice
If you're a comic and manga fan give a try to kiss and never cry by Yayoi Ogawa. Its really well done and it's about ice dancing ;)

There is also Ice Forest by Saitou Chiho about ice dancing. Maybe not entirely realistic, but everything is beautifully drawn.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
My favorite fictional movie about skating has to be The Cutting Edge (1992) - even though the final element they did is total wack, the human relationship between the two skaters was beautifully portrayed and their dynamic was extremely believable and well done. All the sequels to the movie are an embarrassment to the magic in this one.

My second one has to be Ice Princess, even though it's extremely corny and unrealistic, it has a type of magic that actually inspired me to start skating! :biggrin:

magicrider

Rinkside
Alina Adams wrote a series of 5 figure-skating mysteries. She also wrote a biography of Sarah Hughes. I liked the figure skating mysteries, though I don't know if I've read them all.

As an avid mystery reader and a figure skating fan also, I have read several of Alina Adams books and thought they were quite good. There are a lot of themed mystery books( cooking, dogs,quilting, etc.) and I have not found them to be engaging; but, I found Alina's mysteries to be a cut above them.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jo Ann is the About.com figure skating expert and also writes the Colorado Springs Ice Skating Examiner, so she knows A LOT.

Yes! We met her @ 2012 US Nationals in San Jose, and saw her & her family @ Disney's Frozen on Ice in Philly (visiting Philly while her son Joel is touring with the cast). Enjoyed her book very much.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
If you want to get really old school the author of Sailor Moon wrote a manga about figure skating called The Cherry Project. I think it's from 1990 and you can still find scans of it online.

elysium

On the Ice
One More Jump by Michiyo Akaishi is also classic, which I think was inspired by Midori Ito.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Also, the original Ice Castles (1975) is beautiful. Young Robby Benson is to die for. I find him undeniably gorgeous in that movie, I can watch it over and over just for his appearances :love:

The 2010 re-make is an embarrassment to the original though.