Mirai Nagasu for pair and ice dance | Golden Skate

Mirai Nagasu for pair and ice dance

naplesskater

Rinkside
How do you see Mirai Nagasu in pair or ice dance?
Are there any possibilties that she will perform with a male partner?

Personally, I don't see how a ladies' singles skater can ever jump into pairs or ice dance late in her career. But I must be wrong, since some do.

It just seems like trusting your own body is one thing. Trusting your partner not to drop you on your head -- you really have to suppress all of your self-protection instincts to do a pairs llft or a triple twist. :yes:

Alchamei

Record Breaker
She is about 165 cm... Too tall for pairs. And not sure if this could help her. I think sticking to her discipline will help her the most.

Barb

Record Breaker
No, she is tall for pairs. And difficult to learn all the stuff for ice dance at her age.

naplesskater

Rinkside
If I'm not wrong, sometimes she performed in pair during shows (es. Improv Ice 2011-12 with Jeremy Abbott).
Were there anyother occasions?

centerpt1

On the Ice
I can't imagine Mirai as a pairs girl......but, there's Valentina Marchei who made the switch at 28. Both are 5'3".

Flutzer

Spectator
Unfortunately, while it is possible to switch to dance and pairs late in career, i can't see this for Mirai.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
it is possible to switch but it is hard I don't think we can say Marchei has done it successfully yet. Yes great jumps but duh I wonder why. Matching lines, matching spins, timing, lifts and throws are a different bird. Mirai is rather tall and it is not impossible but it is unlikely unless she was like Duhamel doing both. it takes time to gel with a partner. And I do wonder why? Did you really want to do pairs or ice dance? Or is this a desperate attempt to go to the Olympics -you love ths port and want to be competitive. You are acknowledging you are not making it as a singles skater so you switch. Now if Mirai skated for Japan I can see the switch. She could make worlds or the Olympics in pairs or dance with Japan. think the Reeds:)