Funny encounters with our favorite skaters | Golden Skate

Funny encounters with our favorite skaters

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I know it is off season and there are so many of us who are true fans of figure skating. Surely we must have some funny or fun stories about skaters. So many of us go to competitions or skate. What is your story?

Last edited by a moderator:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
During a performance @ SOI, Todd was skating near us as he was doing a Russian Split (one of my favorite moves). My mouth was wide open, and a piece of ice landed in my mouth! That was my souvenir for the evening. :love:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Just a comment-
the GS mods like a good story as well as anyone, but we feel uncomfortable with stories that might be embarrassing to the skaters involved.

We look forward to reading about your encounters!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
During a performance @ SOI, Todd was skating near us as he was doing a Russian Split (one of my favorite moves). My mouth was wide open, and a piece of ice landed in my mouth! That was my souvenir for the evening. :love:

Gail, that is hilarious!!! :laugh: :laugh:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, something that was really nice happened @ 2014 Boston Nationals. We always stay for the medal ceremonies. @ the end of the ice dance medal ceremony, we were standing by the boards to congratulate the dancers. The official photographers were busy taking some additional medalist photos. Meryl came over to me, and handed me her bouquet. I figured she wanted me to hold it for a few minutes, but she didn't come back to get it. The skaters were "whisked away" from the ice, as they had to get ready for the ladies' final which was going to place within the next hour. So, maybe it was Meryl's way of saying "Thanks for your support" (I think she did recognize us from previous competitions & SOI). Anyway, when we saw the US SOI show 2 months later, we got to congratulate Meryl & Charlie on their OGMs. I got to thank Meryl for the bouquet, and gave her a picture of me holding it during the post medal ceremony photo op. When we went to SOI this year, they both definitely remembered us by name. :love:

Last edited:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is not an funny encounter, per se, but a celeb skating spotting. I live in NYC and spot celebrities frequently and it's not a huge deal. I usually don't expect to see anyone famous when I'm not in NY unless it's LA or maybe London.

About 10 years ago, I went to Hartford, CT for quick business trip with a vendor. The vendor took me to a nice restaurant for dinner. At a nearby table was Viktor Petrenko eating with his brother, Vladimir. I didn't want to disturb him but I thought that was a pretty cool sighting. I suppose he was living there at the time before he moved to New Jersey.