Warning - Be Careful at the Gas Pump When Filling Up | Golden Skate

Warning - Be Careful at the Gas Pump When Filling Up

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
There was a report on the news the other day, that sparks from inside your car can ignite a fire when you are filling up your car at the gas pump. It is best to touch your car when you get out so you are grounded. They thought at one time, it was caused by cell phones - but have since done studies and found this to be a myth.

Kara Bear

Final Flight
The chances of this happening are very very slim. But it is a good habit to have...that is touching your car. As well, if something does wrong, do not pull the nozzle out of your car. Some pumps will have stop buttons. And I know at Irving, they have buttons that stop the pump right on the register...so give the cashier a hollar. But luckily with today's technology, disasters at the pump rarely happen.

Luckily, here in NJ, it's against the law to pump your own gas...some people do it, tho.....I never have, tho.

Aloft04

On the Ice
An attendant pumps the gas, Liz....comes out to your car and asks you what you want, washes the windshield sometimes, asks if you want the oil checked, takes the money or charge card, thanks you, you can ask directions - have a dialogue...it's called 'service', hence the old term Service Station.

This is how all gas stations operated in this country until, what ?-maybe 25 years ago? I've lost track....

My mother, who lives in Oregon, wouldn't know how to pump her own gas if her life depended on it.

Kara Bear

Final Flight
I enjoy pumping my own gas. If I ever had a diesel car, I would make sure to pump it...even on cold raining days. I used to work at a gas station and I've seen what happens, when a gas attedent gets distracted and opps, puts regular gas in a diesel car...wooops, there goes your engine. And it happens!! Believe me!
Here you have to pay a couple of cents extra to have someone else pump it. And if you want gas in the middle of the night, you usualy have to pump it yourself...most full serves close down then.

But I just have a hard time understanding why its illegal. Crazy Americans :D jk

RoaringMice

On the Ice
In NJ, it's illegal to pump your own gas, and our gas is also much cheaper than in NY. In NY, for self-serve right now it's $2.25. In NJ, where they pump it for you, it's $1.99. The difference is the state taxes. Of course, I fill in NJ as often as possible.

I'm not sure why we can't pump our own gas in NJ, but I like it.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Aloft04:

An attendant pumps the gas, Liz....comes out to your car and asks you what you want, washes the windshield sometimes, asks if you want the oil checked, takes the money or charge card, thanks you, you can ask directions - have a dialogue...it's called 'service', hence the old term Service Station.

Wow! You get that kind of service? I have not seen that done here since the self-serve concept came in. Even in our full serve pumps we don't get the full treatment! I still have to clean my own windows, put air in the tires and check the oil myself - the gas is a few cents more too. Wow! I would "faint"or think I was in the 1960s if a gas attendant did all that for me.

Yazmeen

On the Ice
I need premium gas for my car, and since I work in Jersey I always fill up on Tues and Fri when my favorite station has "5 cents off" on premium. I paid $2.08 yesterday for the highest grade, and of course, it was pumped for me. While the increases have been :eek: , I really can't complain buying it here.

sk8pics

Rinkside
Ladskater said:
There was a report on the news the other day, that sparks from inside your car can ignite a fire when you are filling up your car at the gas pump. It is best to touch your car when you get out so you are grounded. They thought at one time, it was caused by cell phones - but have since done studies and found this to be a myth.

It's not that sparks inside your car can ignite a fire, but rather that if you get back into your car and then back out, you can build up a static charge on your body, which could then spark when you touch the gas nozzle and ignite any available fumes. That's why you should always touch a metal part of your car away from the gas nozzle before touching the nozzle. That will safely dissipate the charge.

BTW, on the TV series Mythbusters, they tried very hard to start a fire using a cell phone, but they failed. They did however manage to start a fire by rubbing satin panties :p on car seat fabric. :laugh:

Pat

Aloft04

On the Ice
Ladskater - we don't get any service in Washington State, but when I visit my parents in Oregon I do. It's hard to restrain myself from leaping out of the car by habit.

Granted sometimes the 'dialogue' begins with "Yo dude! Premium or Unleaded?" :laugh: But it's human contact nonethless. Usually.

Lucy25

Final Flight
I haven't heard of attendants filling up cars in years. I had no idea that it is illegal to fill your own gas in some states. I would think that a lot of visiters don't know these laws, is it illegal for them to fill their gas? Could they get a ticket?

Aloft04

On the Ice
I don't know about the likelihood of a ticket if you pumped your own gas, Lucy, but I'm sure they give you one if your satin panties catch the carseat on fire. :D

Seriously, the attendants are just right there when you pull in, so there's not much waiting around. I think gas in Oregon is the highest in the country right now.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
sk8pics

It's not that sparks inside your car can ignite a fire, but rather that if you get back into your car and then back out, you can build up a static charge on your body, which could then spark when you touch the gas nozzle and ignite any available fumes

I guess, basically, that is what I meant. I have experienced that very thing - luckily I was not about to put gas in when I felt the static charge. It's amazing how we have survived for so long in ignorance of this dangerous task we do day in and day out. If we still did have full service gas attendents, perhaps the chances of this ever happening to us would be nil. Before, the days of self-serve one did not hear about such horrific accidents at the gas pump.

Thanks!