Cinquanta Was He Good for Skating? Didier Next? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Cinquanta Was He Good for Skating? Didier Next?

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Everyone complains about Didier, and he can be terrible - yet for years he was saying P/C needed to leave Zazoui, and eventually they did & became world champs, but everyone acts like he still did them wrong ... they were an inconsistent mess under her, even at the lower junior level & no one acknowledges what he saw.

Like daphenaxa said, they were primarily training with Haguenauer in Lyon and followed him to Canada. Also, I'm pretty sure D/L (who were nobodies at the time) were not Didier's first choices as coaches since he basically forced C/J & P/B to train with Shpilband. The only good thing Didier might have done was politick for them after the world fell in love with their FD this year.

(as I've mentioned before) Tiberius being followed by Caligula is how I see it. ;)

Loooove it.

Also another example of Didier's interference: Joubert was forced to withdraw from his GPs in 2013 because he didn't do the French Master's Open in September.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Also another example of Didier's interference: Joubert was forced to withdraw from his GPs in 2013 because he didn't do the French Master's Open in September.
Oh gosh I remember that. Is there any chance for this terrible folk to not replace Speedy?? :bang:

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
Could we assess Cinquanta's work as ISU president? What rights and wrongs did he do?

I think that the creation of the Grand Prix series and the Grand Prix Finale were a great achievement. I also personally think that doing only 1 SP and 1 LP for every discipline was a good idea.
I also read on wikipedia that he introduced prize money for ISU events which is very good for the skaters!
For the whole new IJS scoring system, though there are still lots of problem with the judging (cf the Sonia Bianchetti thread!), I am among those who like it better than 6.0

For the bad things, he says dumb sh*t like "oh let's get rid of the SP" or "oh I know nothing about ice dance". But to be honest I am not very aware of how he is super awful.

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
I think that in the early years of Mr. Cinquanta’s presidency he was regarded as a financial whiz who was good for the business end of the sport. He is given credit for negotiating multimillion dollar contracts with U.S. television networks (which is why he could give prize money to skaters), although that was more the result of figure skating’s overall popularity in the 1990s than anything Cinquanta did in particular.

He did consolidate the Grand Prix circuit, but that was somewhat at the expense of the individual events which had done fine on their own, especially Skate Canada since 1973, Skate America since 1979 and the French event, since 1987. (Trivia question: what lady has won the variously-named French event the most? Answer: Surya Bonaly, five times. :) )

On the negative side, Mr. Cinquata was regarded as dictatorial (especially as time went on), power conscious, and “political.” When the ISU constitution required that he step down in 2014 because of age, he simply set the constitution aside and unilaterally extended his term for four more years, saying that no one else could lead the organization in preparation for the 2018 Olympic games. In his attempts to assume control of all figure skating events, he is blamed for killing professional skating competitions in the late 1990s. (IMHO this charge is somewhat exaggerated.)

Mr. C. is also criticized for bringing a speed skating mentality to the ISU. Money generated by the financial success of figure skating was siphoned off to pay for speed skating. For better of worse, rule changes like the IJS make the sport more like a race and puts less emphasis on the performing arts aspect. Even his election as ISU president was something of a coup by the speed skating side to undercut the figure skating side in the “power corridors” of the ISU. Cinquanta’s image as a financial wizard has diminished as figure skating declined in popularity in North America (although to be honest this is due to factors beyond the ISU’s control).

Personally, I don't see anything super awful about him, either. ;) Any CEO is going to face criticism for how he runs the company.

Thank you! That is very interesting. Yes I agree with you, every CEO will be criticised. The unilateral self-reconduction as president is a big no though.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
There was so much interesting info here, I gave it its own thread. Apologies to Mathman for my moving his post out of order to make him the OP

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can't stand Speedy, and from what I've read about Didier, I don't things will get any better for figure skating. I like to be optimistic, but I'm not holding my breath.

gotoschool

Medalist
I can't stand Speedy, and from what I've read about Didier, I don't things will get any better for figure skating. I like to be optimistic, but I'm not holding my breath.

I agree. I can't stand him either and don't expect it to improve from the background information I have heard about Didier. I feel that going into the reasons why I think this will open up issues that have already been done to death and will just incite a lot of conflict and a steep rise in blood pressure. But to me, they seem obvious.

Last edited:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I can't believe Didier's even allowed to have anything to do with figure skating after the Salt Lake City scandal, I mean he's pretty much single-handedly responsible for the incomprehensible scoring system! Surely in any other sport he would have been banned for life?

I remember hearing there was once an attempt to create a separate union for figure skaters, which sounds like a good idea, whatever happened to that? Honestly speed skating and figure skating have less to do with each other than figure skating and ice hockey or figure skating and curling! Sure they're all performed on ice but if that's a reason for them to be represented by one body then every football code should only have one federation too.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Speedy's record:
Anonymous judging makes cheating impossible to detect
New scoring system too complicated, inscrutable to the average fan
Judges continue to represent their federations, rather than the ISU, causing perception, at least, of bias
Cheating judges reinstated after short suspensions

Didier even worse:

His federation caught cheating at the Olympics and he is seriously mentioned as the next ISU President???

NaVi

Medalist
One big thing missing from figure skating is that it doesn't have a leader who is also a good promoter. It would be nice to have a leader who is broadly known internationally and can hype up events.

anyanka

Record Breaker
He wasn't good for it. The end.

I want to see Moskvina become the head. She can build bridges and has been doing so between countries since the Cold War.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Big problem is so much of job is speed skating and it ISU must be split. You know if its didier he made a deal with speed skaters who don't care whatsoever about scoring of fgure skating.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Speedy's record:
Anonymous judging makes cheating impossible to detect
New scoring system too complicated, inscrutable to the average fan
Judges continue to represent their federations, rather than the ISU, causing perception, at least, of bias
Cheating judges reinstated after short suspensions

Didier even worse:

His federation caught cheating at the Olympics and he is seriously mentioned as the next ISU President???

My feelings exactly. But if we get an ISU president who is IN figure skating maybe he will help the sport out. Speedo didn't give a crap about FS, only how much money he can funnel FS money into track skating. Every competition he was at that he was introduced I LOUDLY booe'd him. Didier doesn't sound much better from a moral standpoint, but at least he comes from FS. Are there no Canadians or US or Japanese with cojones to join the race? Shaking my head.

QuadThrow

Medalist
I am sorry, but a sports federation which will elect a corrupt person for its presidency, then it is obviously clear that nearly the whole federation is full of corruption.

It has always been the same story about the big sport associations, e.g. IOC, IAAF, FIFA, ISU (Today, we all blame about Sepp Blatter!, but the whole FIFA is disgusting)

The Organisation of big sportevents has never been democratic at all, one reason is that almost the whole world is not democratic.

hurrah

Medalist
I wonder if the recent corruption scandal about FIFA will make ISU members a bit more wary? Maybe not. I suppose those members who do it don't even see it as corruption as much as they see it as their own entitlement.