Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Teens could be banned from tanning in Sunshine State

they don't ban sex among teens... which is just as much a health risk... if not more... in fact most schools teach "safe sex" instead of abstenance... give out free condoms (sp? don't use em, have no reason to) so why ban tanning?

It does seem an overkill to me. According to the article, California already requires parents to give written permission; requiring one from doctors, IMO is too much.

Me, I love to tan (both sitting on the beach and how I look afterwards), but don't do nearly as much of it as I would want because of the risk. I don't go to tanning salons, and I wear sunscreen enough to make sure that I don't get burned (15 SPF around Boston, 25 in Mexico). Every year I experiment with "tan from the bottle". Generally, I don't like them much because (a) their color is different from my natural tan, and (b) after a couple of days, the skin starts to smell (gross!).

IMO, it's just like anything else....tanning responsibly and not over-indulging is fine.
    I am too impatient to sit in the sun as someone else mentioned. I get my tan from gardening. I wear sun lotion, SPF 30.
    It upsets me that the parents of the little girl I babysit are not diligent on keeping sun lotion on her. They have a pool. She's in it almost constantly in the summer. She'll come to my house on a Monday looking like a cooked lobster.

bugs are smarter than we are bronxgirl's Avatar
    I freely admit to being overly sensitive about cancer, but having watched people die from malignant melanoma that might have been prevented by not getting sunburned and tanned repeatedly when younger, and to watch lung cancer patients die because they became addicted to tobacco - well these are deaths not to wish on anyone. When you're a teenager you think you're immortal, so maybe it does take somene a little older to say, no, what you do now may have a horrible impact on you later. (JMHO)

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Stay out of the sun? What sun - we mostly have "liquid sunshine" here in British Columbia. In fact it poured today. No chance of getting too much sun here. Even when we do get the odd sunny day - I stay out of the rays. Fair skin. I burn in minutes. Well this week all I need is my umbrella. My bottle of sun tan lotion is gathering cob webs.

I sure have to agree with Bronxgirl.
    And having lived in Seattle for 14 months (too long) I know what Ladskater is talking about.

Originally posted by bronxgirl
    When you're a teenager you think you're immortal, so maybe it does take somene a little older to say, no, what you do now may have a horrible impact on you later. (JMHO)
    Well, they already have a law that says they need a parent's permission (which I think is perfectly fine). This says that parents are not compitent enough, you need a doctor's directive.

Any tanned skin is damaged skin, unless it's a fake tan.

Having watched people with skin cancer makes me very cautious. Skin cancer cells spread fast within the body, and once they do they don't often respond to chemo or radiation treatment as well as other cancers.

Rogue Leader
    There's no truth the the "base tan" idea. If you tan before going somewhere sunny, it will do nothing to protect your skin. I do my best to avoid the sun. I walk to and from work though, so I can't avoid it all together. Sunscreen and hats fro me during the summer.

Is it me, or does the sun seem to be getting stronger? I've only had about five sunburns my entire life, and they were all minor. Two weeks ago, we had a fire drill at work, and were unexpectedly outdoors for 20-30 minutes. Both my face and shoulders were sunburned by the time we went inside. I've never had that ahppen before.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2