Teens could be banned from tanning in Sunshine State | Golden Skate

Teens could be banned from tanning in Sunshine State

Johar

Medalist
Tanning is just plain bad for the skin! My mom and dad have had bouts of skin cancer. Both of their legs are grossly discolored, scaly, blistery, scabby and nasty due to treatments and the cancer. My mom's legs resemble that of a burn victim. There are no lotion, creams or plastic surgery that can make her skin look normal again. Her skin is solid purple in some spots.

I'm 35 and I've seen women my age who have been going to tanning beds once a week since they were teens. They have deep wrinkles, sagging leatherly skin and look like old women. Unless they can afford major plastic surgery they will have to look like that for the rest of their life. They look awful!

Being mistaken for 55 or 60 when you're not even 40 has to be embarrassing.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I hate sitting in the sun--and not because of the dangers (although that is important). I get antsy and uncomfortable, so I avoid it.

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Tonichelle said:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5030323/

first we're told we can't tan in the direct sun, even with sunscreen, because of cancer so go indoors... now we're being told that's wrong and we should let the sun do it? Thank GOD I live in Alaska :rolleye:

Perhaps they are saying you shouldn't tan, period? I'm 35 and look 25 because I haven't continuously baked myself, unlike the women Johar writes about. If I do the tan thing, I will use a self tanner or do the spray thingy.

Laura :)

Longhornliz

Final Flight
In texas you are required to have a parent sign a waiver until the age of 18 to tan... STAY OUT OF THE SUN!!!!! Really alabaster is the way to go, big in the victorian era and everything old will be new again... so I must be ahead of the trend. I wear moisturizer with sunscreen in it EVERYDAY, I even use a spray in stuff thats especially for your hair if im going to be outside golfing or something.... but I'm paranoid about aging.

Last edited:

Spinner

Rinkside
Re: Re: Teens could be banned from tanning in Sunshine State

PrincessLeppard said:
I'm 35 and look 25 because I haven't continuously baked myself...
Uh huh, just what kind of funhouse mirror are YOU using? :p

Just kidding folks, she does look much younger than 35. I'm with those non-tanners. My motto: "Pasty white, yet cancer free." ;)

guinevere

Final Flight
The thought of teenagers going to tanning salons makes me go :rolleye:

But I'm on the pasty-girl bandwagon. I do occasionally sit in the sun, but I use SPF 35 or higher at all times. I also have major light sensitivity issues with my eyes, so I will usually either wear a hat or put something over my face is I'm lying down, because the sun really hurts my eyes (even when it's not sunny out!). My skin is so pale that the blue veins are quite visible! :laugh:

My Mom, OTOH, was a total tanning machine. Her skin is like leather, and it's a rather dark color all the time now. She has hardly any gray hair and would look about 15 years younger than she is (65) if it weren't for her sun-damaged skin.

guinevere

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Re: Re: Re: Teens could be banned from tanning in Sunshine State

Spinner said:
Uh huh, just what kind of funhouse mirror are YOU using? :p

Just kidding folks, she does look much younger than 35. I'm with those non-tanners. My motto: "Pasty white, yet cancer free." ;)

I would also like to point out that the incredibly pasty Spinner also looks much younger than his true age of 75, due to his extreme avoidance of the sun his entire life.

Oh, he's not 75? I just thought his incredibly bad taste in music indicated he was much older. :p

Stay out of the sun, kids!

Laura :)

edited to add correct smilie

Lcp88

On the Ice
In my school its "the thing" to go tanning at least once and month. I don't get it. I'm whiter than a ghoast, and don't mind (much), and I just don't see why people go and sit under ultra-violet lights for hours on end. Its not even real sunlight!! There are some girls who's skin is almost orange from combinations of tanning beds and sparys. I think the look is hideous. Its one thing to have darker skin, but to basically be an advertisement for some plastic surgeon seems pointless and harmful.
Laura

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I dunno... I thought health class said that if you already were tan you wouldn't get "burned" as easily and would avoid getting cancer

I don't tan on a regular basis... but I do know people who tan for special occasions... and it doesn't make them look older... they're responsible tanners... they follow the directions

those stupid spray tanners last for a max of a week and then you pay 35-50 dollars to "re tan" too much money for fake tanning.

Hey, Spinner, welcome to Golden Skate! Have at it, LOL. (So , what do you think of Evgeny Plushenko? :D )

Mathman

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Spinner reveres Evgeni as a god, as he correctly should. :D

Evgeni, I might add, also stays out of the sun, for the most part.

Toni, tanning every once in a while probably isn't going to hurt much in the long run, and some sunlight is beneficial. But those people who go every week to the tanning beds are going to regret it later on in life. I'm going to try the spray tan next week, so I'll let everyone know how that goes.

Laura, tired of being pasty. :)

Spinner

Rinkside
Mathman said:
Hey, Spinner, welcome to Golden Skate! Have at it, LOL. (So , what do you think of Evgeny Plushenko? :D )

Mathman
Thanks! :)

Evegeny? Eh...he's a good skater, but god? um, no... :p A god amongst skaters would never do a Biellmann spin! HA!

And no, I am not 75. Someone's just bitter because she's 3.5 years older than me and ALWAYS will be! And just because I don't like bands whose contributions to music would be such poetic etudes as "Armageddon It" doesn't mean I have bad taste in music. Quite the contrary actually.... ;)

Fossi

Final Flight
Well, I think it's wrong to tell someone they can or can not tan. It's up to each person to decide for themselves. They know the risks. It's just like smoking. Some know the risks, but do it anyhow. What will they ban next?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
they don't ban sex among teens... which is just as much a health risk... if not more... in fact most schools teach "safe sex" instead of abstenance... give out free condoms (sp? don't use em, have no reason to) so why ban tanning?

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
It does seem an overkill to me. According to the article, California already requires parents to give written permission; requiring one from doctors, IMO is too much.

Me, I love to tan (both sitting on the beach and how I look afterwards), but don't do nearly as much of it as I would want because of the risk. I don't go to tanning salons, and I wear sunscreen enough to make sure that I don't get burned (15 SPF around Boston, 25 in Mexico). Every year I experiment with "tan from the bottle". Generally, I don't like them much because (a) their color is different from my natural tan, and (b) after a couple of days, the skin starts to smell (gross!).

IMO, it's just like anything else....tanning responsibly and not over-indulging is fine.
I am too impatient to sit in the sun as someone else mentioned. I get my tan from gardening. I wear sun lotion, SPF 30.
It upsets me that the parents of the little girl I babysit are not diligent on keeping sun lotion on her. They have a pool. She's in it almost constantly in the summer. She'll come to my house on a Monday looking like a cooked lobster.

bronxgirl

Medalist
I freely admit to being overly sensitive about cancer, but having watched people die from malignant melanoma that might have been prevented by not getting sunburned and tanned repeatedly when younger, and to watch lung cancer patients die because they became addicted to tobacco - well these are deaths not to wish on anyone. When you're a teenager you think you're immortal, so maybe it does take somene a little older to say, no, what you do now may have a horrible impact on you later. (JMHO)

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Stay out of the sun? What sun - we mostly have "liquid sunshine" here in British Columbia. In fact it poured today. No chance of getting too much sun here. Even when we do get the odd sunny day - I stay out of the rays. Fair skin. I burn in minutes. Well this week all I need is my umbrella. My bottle of sun tan lotion is gathering cob webs.