So You Think You Can Dance - 6-1-15 | Golden Skate

So You Think You Can Dance - 6-1-15

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Dance returns with a new season, new judges & new twist TONIGHT! Don't miss the 2-hour premiere starting at 8/7c

Fox announced their plans to enlist former American Idol judge Paula Adbul and singer Jason Derulo to judge the series' twelfth season.

Sorry, but I'm going to miss Mary's hot tamale train....woo hoo!!!

Anyone else going to watch??

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
They should've bribed Misty Copeland to come back in the judging table because she gave actual advices on how to do stuff rather than "oh that was amazing" or "you had lovely lines". Gosh, even I thought Tara was a good judge for a change. Yeesh. Please Nigel, bring back Misty or bring more professional dancers! (tip: hire some of the recently retired ABT dancers!!!)

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
not too sure I like the new format. I wonder if they will have any ballroom at all from the stage dancers.

Will they have any partner dancing?

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
gallavich said:
I get bored once the actual competition is underway.

I like the competition better, can't wait for it to start, although I'm not too sure what this year will bring.

sunny_strs said:
(tip: hire some of the recently retired ABT dancers!!!)

Great idea!!!

Kitt said:
not too sure I like the new format. I wonder if they will have any ballroom at all from the stage dancers.

Will they have any partner dancing?

I've wondered that myself. I wonder why they thought they had to change the format??

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Where are the ballet dancers, ballroom, jazz, swing, Broadway dancers? We did see a little of a tap dancer but don't know if he got a ticket to Las Vegas? If it's just going to be a competition of who is the best street dancer or who is the best individual contempory dancer than I probably won't watch the show. There seem to have been a lot of gymnastic moves in routines last night & I wasn't impressed.

heyang

Record Breaker
Based upon Travis's blog, the format's somewhat unknown right now

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/0...d=10153342270239304&adbpl=fb&adbpr=9748634303

I think Paula and Jason are better judges than many other guest judges. Can't remember her name, but there was a singer who was a judge last year who had no significant comments and didn't even seem to be enjoying the experience.

Paula has a lot of experience as a choreographer, as well as dancing in her own music videos and as a Laker Girl. Same as on AI, I think she's not going to be harsh on her judgements.

Jason DeRulo attended performing arts school for voice and dance, appeared on Broadway...

It's street vs stage... Stage can encompass many genres - jazz, tap, contemporary vs the many variations of street. Also, can't forget that a lot of dancers do train in multiple genres. I got the sense from some of the auditions that some of the dancers have experience in both, but, of course, tried out based upon their strengths. A lot of past Top 20's have tried out multiple times - getting additional training in various genres between seasons.

Each week one street and one stage dancer will be eliminated , instead of based upon gender.... I have a feeling that a lot of decisions will be made when they see what mixture of genders they have once the picks are done for each team.

Regardless, it'll be fun to see Twitch and Travis as mentors.

KKonas

Medalist
Where are the ballet dancers, ballroom, jazz, swing, Broadway dancers? We did see a little of a tap dancer but don't know if he got a ticket to Las Vegas? If it's just going to be a competition of who is the best street dancer or who is the best individual contempory dancer than I probably won't watch the show. There seem to have been a lot of gymnastic moves in routines last night & I wasn't impressed.

ITA - Ballroom not to be shown apparently - probably group numbers by each division, maybe some duets. An evening of only contemporary or street dancing is not my preference, so I will skip this entire season.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Based upon Travis's blog, the format's somewhat unknown right now

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/0...d=10153342270239304&adbpl=fb&adbpr=9748634303

Well, thanks Travis, that didn't help any. I'm going to give it time since it's more or less, let's play it by ear.

Cat Deeley was on a talk show last week and she said about the same thing Travis did on the format.... it's a new format and not quite sure how it will play out. A question was asked about the new judges and she said that fans wanted new & fresh hence the change in judges.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Loved the tapper from Canton Ohio!!

heyang

Record Breaker
Many good auditions this week IMHO... can't remember names....

Glad to see Lindsay Arnold's audition partner come back for his own audition with her sister Jensen, who got a ticket for next year.... I think Witney Carson's audition partner was also too young that year and he came back the following year and made top 20. I also remember when Benji returned to the audition stage to be his sister Lacey's audition partner...

Some of the break dancers were amazing ... the guy who did he blind flip was Wow, as well as the Hebrew break dancer.

Also loved the contemporary dancer who was adopted from Korea with an open palate and the young lady who was told she couldn't walk after a car accident when she was 5.... some really incredible stories.

Here's Travis's blog http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/1...e-mentor-blog-travis-wall-why-he-choreographs

and twitch's http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/1...r-blog-twitch-why-we-can-expect-strong-season

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is anyone watching??? If not then I won't post here anymore.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Is anyone watching??? If not then I won't post here anymore.

yes, I watched last night and thought the show was pretty good. I liked the Street dancers more than I thought I would. But those two male ballet dancers were something else! Perfection in lines.

I have a feeling that things are going to be weighted for the Street dancers just because the producers seem to like what is current. Even Nigel, trying to be cool! (that's rather amusing)

heyang

Record Breaker
I'm watching, too.

Still too early for me to remember names.... I remember ja ja, but only because she was also featured last season during auditions.

I think the 2 total team #'s were my favorites from last night.

I do wish the camera work was better. It was disruptive when they got one of the camera men in the live shot. Also, it doesn't help the TV viewing audience see what the judges and live audience are seeing.... by not seeing the entire stage, we may be missing disconnects , etc.

Personally, I'm not having any issues with Paula and Jason as judges....they are offering constructive criticism vs the enthusiastic fandom of past guest judges and/or the one singer who really had nothing to offer as a judge (who offered feedback like 'nice performance'.) I do miss the comments of Lil C....but not missing Mary's scream.

Enjoyed seeing Fik Shun, Joshua and Jasmine H as dancers in the Jason DeRullo performance. I'm not sure who the other guest all-stars were....

I wonder how the remainder of the competition will work out.... This week was the only one where the contestants were definitely working in their expertise - so, I would imagine that street will need to tackle contemporary, ballroom, etc and that stage will also have to tackle hip hop and other genres. I think some street team members have had training and/or experience in other genres just as the tapper on the stage team seems to have experience in contemporary, etc. I wonder if they'll mix team stage and street together for pairings??

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I wonder how much ballroom there will be. If there is, it will be interesting to see how the street dancers adapt!