Whats the deal with jewelry on ice??? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Whats the deal with jewelry on ice???

RoaringMice

On the Ice
I find that if I practice with jewelery on, which I do, then wearing jewelery at a comp isn't a big deal. In fact, not wearing the jewelery that I'm used to makes me feel funny - that's distracting.

I make sure, when I skate, that I wear my jewelery that does fasten well, and doesn't slip off. And for a competition, I wear jewelery that goes with my outfit.

icenut84

Final Flight
Mathman said:
There was a competition where Todd Eldredge lost a cuff link when he took a fall on a triple Axel. They stopped the program to recover the cuff link, and then he was allowed to restart before the triple Axel. This time he nailed it. IIRC he ended up winning the event beacause of the generous restart.

I remember that - I think it was a 3lutz. He broke/lost the cufflink because he fell on the jump, and I think banged his hand/wrist on the ice. Fair enough that he is allowed to stop, as he needed to pick up the broken cufflink (could have caused an accident) and get a new one, but I think it was totally unfair on the other skaters if his 2nd attempt at the 3lutz (which he landed) was counted. He didn't fall because of the cufflink - he lost the cufflink because he fell. IIRC, there was a shot of Alexei Yagudin watching from the side (I think he was next to go), and he didn't look very happy that Todd was allowed to attempt the jump again.

Bijoux

Match Penalty
Diamond earrings

Anyone ever notice Kristy wore large diamond earrings all the time that I bet were real. Always wondered how they stayed on so well. Then Nancy Kerrigan (not to be left out) started wearing large triangle shaped diamonds. Wish I knew if they were real. I think they rewarded themselves for the success they had.

Tara had rings on every finger. I remember Tonia K. and Karyn Kadavy (sp?) wore their georgeous and very big wedding sets often.

I wish I had a major Bling (like the 6.4 carat pink dia. Lopez got from Ben!)

bronxgirl

Medalist
My Star of David is always on (except for when I've needed surgery). I've ridden horses cross country, jumping (in the past I admit), and I never noticed it bouncing around. In fact, I would be far more cogniznant of it NOT being there, than when it is.

katherine2001

On the Ice
Bronxgirl, it's the same way for Eastern Orthodox. Your sponsors/godparents (and both children and adults have sponsors when they are received into the church) provide a cross necklace for you and the priest blesses it and puts it on you during your reception into the church, and it is very rarely taken off (your example was a good one of when it could be taken off). I have to admit that I unfortunately don't wear the cross I received originally (though I still have it) because I am allergic to many base metals. If the silver or gold plate wears off, I have a major reaction to the base metal. Then I have to get a new cross and have my priest bless it, and then I start wearing my cross again and don't take it off.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Longhornliz

Some skaters are superstitious and wear certain pieces of jewelry for "good luck." I never liked wearing any jewelry when I skated. I still don't really wear much. Even a watch bugs me when I skate.

I think when skaters wear ornate costumes they should tone down the jewelry. But each skater has his/her preference.

Good question.

skatere1990

Rinkside
yeah i also wear a peice of jewlary on the ice. actualy a couple i could also be known as brass knuckles lol i have a ring on almost every finger. i also wear a necklace with a heart with it because my "grandma coach" always tells me to skate with heart. i also have a couple bracelets so yeah i kind of wear quite a bit of jewlary

kimmie meissner has rings on her fingers and then a bracelet of some kind. Also a necklace