Whats the deal with jewelry on ice??? | Golden Skate

Whats the deal with jewelry on ice???

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I am often curious about skaters who wear jewelry while performing... MK has her famous good luck charm that I dont think has ever come off since she put it on, and in this pic sasha seems to be wearing quite a bit of bling... including bobble on her ring finger (clearly we would know if she was engaged right?)
http://www.sashafans.com/media/gallery/2004worlds/long/6.jpg

I always thought that jewelry would be a distraction, and often sasha's gold necklace shifts or comes out from under her costume and I am concerned it will throw her off.

Maybe I'm just being silly... but it is the off season, school is out for the semester and I have not much else to do.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
tara lipinski used to compete with tons of jewelry. a necklace with 3 charms, and a ring on each finger... talk about bling^squared!

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Ahhh, a little bit of bling on the ice isn't so bad. Its kinda nice actually when its just like one or two random rings or something (like when guys wear their wedding bands or something like that). Its just when all you SEE is the bling (or bling-bling) that you know the skater might be overdoing it just a tad bit, LOL ;)

And I would think they'd be nervous about it falling off or something though, at least with those who wear lots of charms and stuff on their necklaces. That would make me very nervous! What if it fell off and then tripped me up while I was skating?! Yikes. :eek:

millyskate

Rinkside
Baboo has started the male version on skating bling: ring, chains around neck and both wrists now. There is something added every comp: someone needs to tell him to stop soon or we'll have gold chains around his ankles as well.

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
Off season indeed... if the skaters use it, it's because it's not bothering them. Why should we bother? Tennis players wear rings, bracelets, necklaces, stuff in the hair... Justine Henin wears a watch while she plays. Sergei Grinkov wore his wedding band and it was pairs! Sometimes it's superstition, sometimes it's becuse they like... who cares if they wear jewelry? LOL

Brian Joubert isn't doing anything that other skaters haven't done in the past. Many male skaters wear necklaces or bracelets. I remember seeing jewelry on men ever since I started watching skating quite a few years ago.

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Evgeni's cross was given to him by a relative (maybe an uncle???) and he considers it good luck to wear it.

Was it Nicole Bobek who used to be called "Brass Knuckles" because she had a ring on every finger?

Laura :)

icenut84

Final Flight
Longhornliz said:
in this pic sasha seems to be wearing quite a bit of bling... including bobble on her ring finger (clearly we would know if she was engaged right?)
http://www.sashafans.com/media/gallery/2004worlds/long/6.jpg

Look again - it's not on her wedding finger, it's on her 2nd finger. lol

If skaters (or anyone else - like someone else pointed out, tennis players wear lots of jewellery too, such as Serena Williams's big hoop earrings) wear jewellery, it must be because it doesn't bother them at all while they skate - if it did, they wouldn't wear it. I've skated wearing a necklace or a ring before, and I don't even notice I'm wearing it. I imagine that most of the time what they're wearing is special/for good luck/sentimental or something. And sure, sometimes it's probably just bling to look good. :)

euterpe

Medalist
I've always been more concerned with earrings. The centripetal force of spins could cause an earring not firmly fastened to fly off. I know it has happened at the ballet, and it could just as easily happen at a competition.

There was a competition where Todd Eldredge lost a cuff link when he took a fall on a triple Axel. They stopped the program to recover the cuff link, and then he was allowed to restart before the triple Axel. This time he nailed it. IIRC he ended up winning the event beacause of the generous restart.

Mathman

lil_icesk8er915

On the Ice
I know (and I think everyone else does too!) that Michelle Kwan wears the dragon pendant necklace given to her by her grandmother. A Chinese Dragon symbolizes good luck!

And I think Katy Taylor also has "brass knuckles" and wears a ring on each of her fingers. Her mom kisses every ring before she skates for good luck. How cute! :)

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
rings

Actually I think its only 3 rings that Katy wears all the time. During Jr. Worlds she said that she wore 3 all the time that her mom kisses, and the others she was just wearing, she doesn't have them on all the time.

Gardenkitty

Rinkside
I remember some competition where Tim's medal came untucked from his shirt and it kept flying up ande hitting him in the face during his program. It had to be distracting. I've wondered why some skaters take the risk of wearing necklaces in competition.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mathman said:
There was a competition where Todd Eldredge lost a cuff link when he took a fall on a triple Axel. They stopped the program to recover the cuff link, and then he was allowed to restart before the triple Axel. This time he nailed it. IIRC he ended up winning the event beacause of the generous restart.

Mathman

Mathman, I sort of remember that competition. It was the World Pro in 1998 (that year it was a pro/am). Todd lost his cuff link during the short program, and he was allowed to pick up the program from the point where it happened. He borrowed a cuff link from the event's referee. I think he was in second place after the short program. He did have a fall in the free skate (or interpretive free, whatever it was called), and he did not win the event. He finished either second or third.

I'm just glad he didn't get hurt during that competition.

katherine2001

On the Ice
I'm sure that most of the Russians and other Eastern Europeans who come from Orthodox countries wear their crosses all the time. I converted 3 years ago, and Orthodox Christians never take their crosses off (or very, very rarely).

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Russians can tend to wear a lot of gold, especially when they first come into money, because it is seen as a status symbol of wealth.
Yagudin was wearing enough a few years ago that someone close to him chastised him with, "What is with all of this gold jewelry...you look like a gypsy!", LOL....and he cut back to finally just the gold cross, from his Mother, that he wears always.

In terms of Michelle - it's amazing that red cord hasn't snapped yet - what the heck is it made out of...carbon fiber?!:laugh:

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
i remember the nbc fluff piece on grischuk/platov/usova/zhulin love quadrangle, and it said something like pasha grischuk wore zhulin's cross at the 1994 olympics to flaunt to maia that she had maia's husband...

euterpe

Medalist
I believe the cord of Michelle's necklace is made of silk, which is just about the strongest fiber there is.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
I find it distracting. The one that always bothered me the most though was JRo. In 02 she wore this pearl neclklace that IIRC, was a present from her fiance. Not only did it look bad (IMHO) but I was always waiting for it to snap. The next year she wore something else (I guess the "I must never take it off, even for the most important sports comp of my life" feeling faded away by then.) which, IIRC was to be auctioned off for charity or something. Still didn't look good, even if the cause was.