Skating to live music | Golden Skate

Skating to live music

Layback11

Record Breaker
More specifically, what pieces are made for live performances with skaters? This can be competition or exhibition, classical or not, full orchestra/band or solo artist, anything from reggae to K-Pop to rap...really, anything goes!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have to really think about this one. There have been interviews with the skaters who have participated in the Disson shows who have said they like the idea of skating to live music (although the TV presentation suffers when the musicians are shown too much @ the expense of the skaters). That said, I loved the "Riverdance on Ice" show (it helps that I love all the music from Riverdance) and when Shen & Zhao skated to a classical piece with Yo-Yo Ma a few seasons ago (I think it was in one of the Skating/Gymnastics shows).

Last edited:

pandaatlarge

On the Ice
I am not quite sure if I understand correctly what "skating to live music" means. Does it mean a skater skates to the music that is played/sung live? If so, does it mean that the skater doesn't know what music he/she is going to skate to, but does a impromptu choreography based on what he/she hears? Or does it mean that the skater already has the choreography done, but just skate to it when the music/song was played/sung live?

If it refers to the latter, it is not a rare thing in Japan. There are always some "collaborations" between singers and skaters for a live performance. Here are some recent examples from Fantasy On Ice by Yuzuru Hanyu, Nobunari Oda, Akiko Suzuki.

If it refers to the impromptu choreography, I like the idea but it sounds quite difficult. I think Johnny Weir likes shuffling the songs and skating to whatever music comes out, then posting the video to instagram?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I have to really think about this one. There have been interviews with the skaters who have participated in the Disson shows who have said they like the idea of skating to live music (although the TV presentation suffers when the musicians are shown too much @ the expense of the skaters). That said, I loved the "Riverdance on Ice" show (it helps that I love all the music from Riverdance) and when Shen & zhao skated to a classical piece with Yo-Yo Ma a few seasons ago (I think it was in one of the Skating/Gymnastics shows).

Are you saying that Yo-Yo Ma performed live at the skating venue for Shen/Zhao's program??? For one of the Disson skating/gymnastics shows in the U.S.?

If so, very cool. Would love to see a video.

Last edited:

mnm464

On the Ice
Scott Hamilton's CARES show has always had live music! It's such a great show! Once he had rounded up I think all Figureskating USA OGM too!

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
The swiss Art On Ice shows always use live music. In that shows performed many world stars: Seal, Gloria Gaynor, Bee Gees, Anastacia, Zuckero, Edvin Marton, Donna Summer etc. Edvin Marton and Plushenko met in AOI and they became friends. And after they had many programs together with live music.

noskates

Record Breaker
I saw a Brian Boitano TV special filmed at AT&T Park in San Francisco about 5-6 years ago. Barry Manilow was the special guest. Barry is NOT in his prime. His delivery was so slow that the skater could not keep any kind of a rhythm going. They ended up having him skate again after the show was taped to a recorded version of the song and then edited the program for TV. It was not good.

I've also seen various "shows" where they have a live singer. The thing that irritates me is the television director cuts to the person singing and we miss some of the skating program. People unclear on the concept.

I think it takes a special skater, a special singer/band and good producing and directing to make the program special.

kiara_bleu

On the Ice
A few of Kim Yuna's shows used live singers and orchestras. I'm not a huge fan of live singers accompanying the skaters (done a lot) for some reason but I absolutely loved the full orchestras in Yuna's shows because you very rarely see it and it was wonderful to see the performances of the skaters with that amazing live sound.

kiara_bleu

On the Ice
A few of Kim Yuna's shows used live singers and orchestras. I'm not a huge fan of live singers accompanying the skaters (done a lot) for some reason but I absolutely loved the full orchestras in Yuna's shows because you very rarely see it and it was wonderful to see the performances of the skaters with that amazing live sound.

When I say "very rarely" I should clarify that I mean very few shows in the world can do it. I know Art on Ice does it every year and I saw some Russian shows that have it but it is probably too expensive to do here in the U.S.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
When I say "very rarely" I should clarify that I mean very few shows in the world can do it. I know Art on Ice does it every year and I saw some Russian shows that have it but it is probably too expensive to do here in the U.S.

I think Mao's ice show did some live music accompaniment as well but not too sure when before. Artistry on Ice (S/Z's ice show) also brings in Chinese singers to perform, although most sing in Team China EXs.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Are you saying that Yo-Yo Ma performed live at the skating venue for Shen/Zhao's program??? For one of the Disson skating/gymnastics shows in the U.S.?

If so, very cool. Would love to see a video.

I stand corrected. It was Lang Lang. I'll have to see if it's on Youtube.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I stand corrected. It was Lang Lang. I'll have to see if it's on Youtube.

No worries. Yo-Yo performing at a skating show would have been epic, but the thought of Lang Lang makes me happy as well.

sandyrushton

Spectator
The idea of having live music seems cool (and challenging), but at the same time the singers can end up messing up the the natural flow and timing. I don't know, live music seems daunting for skating, and it takes a lot of talent I presume.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
The idea of having live music seems cool (and challenging), but at the same time the singers can end up messing up the the natural flow and timing. I don't know, live music seems daunting for skating, and it takes a lot of talent I presume.

In the first two shows of Fantasy on Ice last year, they hired a singer who could not sing on-key live and it ruined the show (for me.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McTZJC9IPOs (prepare your earplugs)

This year, it was MUCH better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7ceRXT_LeA

Pamigena

Record Breaker
I've been to Art on Ice in February and the live acts were awesome! They actually had people who knew how to sing and make music and it was just really, really amazing. If there were any problems with flow or timing, then I sure didn't notice them. At Fantasy on Ice last month they also had a live act, but only a few programs were performed to her singing. Which is such a shame because I :love: that. Call me easily impressed, but if you combine a great singer/band and a great skater, a program just has a different feel. IMHO.
But I agree with Newbiespectator, a bad singer can certainly ruin the whole experience big time :rolleye: just don't hire people who couldn't carry a tune even if their life depended on it. Easy.

corinthia

Rinkside
I simply cannot allow a discussion on skating to live music to close without mentioning this one:

Jeremy Abbott, skating to 'Dear Lord' by John Coltrane
performed by the UNC School of the Arts Saxophone Ensemble
at the 2015 US Nationals exhibition.
(As you may recall, this was just a few weeks after his father had passed away.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LEQfMBrEQ4

Last edited: