Congratulations to Meagan Duhamel and Bruno Marcotte! | Golden Skate

Congratulations to Meagan Duhamel and Bruno Marcotte!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
@SarahAndDrew have promised an article on Monday re both of yesterday's skating weddings: Berton and Brubaker as well as Duhamel and Marcotte.

And I love how classy Jeremy Abbott was on his own 30th birthday :hb: -- sending his warm wishes to others celebrating happy occasions :):

@jeremyabbottpcf
June 5th may be the best day ever! HBD to #CathyReed #JuliaLipnitskaya & happy weddings to both @mhjd_85 / #Bruno & @RockneBru86 / #Steffi!
10:53 AM - 5 Jun 2015
https://twitter.com/jeremyabbottpcf/status/606881586789810176

Hope it was a great day for all of the above.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Unless Eric is 100% joking, seems that Meagan has taken Bruno's name.
My hunch is that it is a humorous tweet based on truth. (Mentioning the name thing b/c of the old conversation in the Tanith/Charlie wedding thread.)

And a great photo :) of the bride and groom is attached to Eric's tweet. (Very good view of Meagan's pretty dress, BTW.)

Eric Radford ‏@Rad85E
We are no longer Duhamel and Radford...now we're Marcotte and Radford! Haha. #marriageofMeg #congratulations
6:54 AM - 6 Jun 2015
https://twitter.com/Rad85E/status/607183716570431488

Spiral

Final Flight
Congratulations to Meagan Bruno! She is always so radiant when she skates that she's a pure joy to watch, I bet her husband is the luckiest guy in the world. :biggrin: :love:

Congratulations to Stefania and Rockne! I'm very glad she's continuing skating and wish them every success both in shows and in competitions - and, of course, in their life together! :biggrin: :love:

Here are links to Stefania and Rockne's wedding pics:

https://www.facebook.com/david.santee.7?fref=photo
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...434137.-2207520000.1433587840.&type=3&theater

And here's a link to the most recent article about them (in English):
http://www.insideskating.net/2014/1...-on-any-opportunities-that-might-come-our-way

Alchamei

Record Breaker
How tall is Bruno? At some pictures both of them look so small, like hobbits. :laugh:

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Oh, it looked like he is smaller. Thanks TheGrandSophy. Anyway, congratulations to this newly-wed couple! :cheer:

Daniskates93

Rinkside
Unless Eric is 100% joking, seems that Meagan has taken Bruno's name.
My hunch is that it is a humorous tweet based on truth. (Mentioning the name thing b/c of the old conversation in the Tanith/Charlie wedding thread.)

And a great photo :) of the bride and groom is attached to Eric's tweet. (Very good view of Meagan's pretty dress, BTW.)

Eric Radford ‏@Rad85E
We are no longer Duhamel and Radford...now we're Marcotte and Radford! Haha. #marriageofMeg #congratulations
6:54 AM - 6 Jun 2015
https://twitter.com/Rad85E/status/607183716570431488

Generally in Quebec, brides tend to keep their last name and/or hyphenate it. I believe that you actually have to change your last name in Quebec, which is why you see skaters from there with long or hyphenated last names (Simon-Pierre Malette-Paquette and Daniel-Olivier Boulanger-Trottier come to mind off the top of my head).

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
the law is really strange for many people outside quebec... here are a few things about it.
1) true that women keep their names, they actually have to .... they rarely hyphenate it, and nowadays, even more rarely change it to their husband's name.
2) before the law, women lost their complete name in legal documents... they were simply referred to as the wife of .... that's why the law came into effect as a way for women to be emancipated. For instance, when my father passed away, my mom changed her name back to her maiden name to avoid any confusion on the identity of my father's wife, simplify legal documents, etc.
3) many quebec couples do not get married. that's partially why children often get hyphenated last names.... the trend is hopefully getting lost as it doesn't make much sense for these kids to have such long names to give to their own children... can you imagine what it could do if two parents with hyphenated last names decided to give 4 last names to their children HAHA... so in the end, they still have to choose .... really ridiculous.

So, we don't need to worry... D/R remains D/R :) as Bruno Marcotte was a pair skater too, i'd like to see Marcotte and Radford skate together haha :)

Generally in Quebec, brides tend to keep their last name and/or hyphenate it. I believe that you actually have to change your last name in Quebec, which is why you see skaters from there with long or hyphenated last names (Simon-Pierre Malette-Paquette and Daniel-Olivier Boulanger-Trottier come to mind off the top of my head).

Alvyne

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Congratulations to both!

About the name change, it is doubtful Meagan would be able to take Bruno's name under Québec law.

Since the passage of a 1981 provincial law intended to promote gender equality as outlined in the Québec Charter of Rights, no change may be made to a person's name without the authorization of the registrar of civil status or the authorization of the court. Newlyweds who wish to change their names upon marriage must therefore go through the same procedure as those changing their names for other reasons. The registrar of civil status may authorize a name change if: 1) the name the person generally uses does not correspond to the name on their birth certificate, 2) the name is of foreign origin or too difficult to pronounce or write in its original form, or 3) the name invites ridicule or has become infamous.[9] This law does not make it legal for a woman to immediately change her name upon marriage, as marriage is not listed among the reasons for a name change.