BBQ Tips | Golden Skate

BBQ Tips

Kara Bear

Final Flight
I have recently decided that I love bbq-ing and do not want o cook another meal on my stove for the rest of the spring/summer. But my fare of BBQ hotdogs, hamburgers, and grilled chicken breasts may get tiring (and unhealthy after awhile). I've tackled bbq corn on the cob...it was great. My bf is trying bacon as we speak :rolleye: . We'll see if that one works.

Does any one have any tips and/or recipes for some great barbeque cooking?

Yummy! Its supper time!

Aloft04

On the Ice
Our two summer favorites are beef kabobs (with every imaginable colorful veggie) and fresh salmon. It's hard to go wrong. I baste the salmon with a mixture of melted butter, white wine, garlic, lemon, salt/pepper and fresh thyme. Yum!

BTW - fresh asparagus is wonderful when grilled. Sprinkle some olive oil and coarse salt on it and don't overcook it!

I'm hungry now....:p

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
IMO everything tastes better grilled. I prefer charcoal to gas. Using grill baskets makes things easier especially when grilling fish, vegetables, and fruits. I love grilled salmon. For beef and pork I like to use rubs and then serve any BBQ sauce on the side. You might want to experiment with different kinds of wood chips for flavor. Also pizzas on the grill are excellent. For dessert try grilling buttered slices of pound cake served with grilled pineapple, mango, or peaches. You can also place fruit, butter and brown sugar in foil packets (add pecans if you like) and cook until it reaches a caramel color. Serve over cake or ice cream. If you really get into doing entire meals or grilling for a group a rotisserie is nice to have.

One of my favorite recipes is to marinate pork chops or steaks in soy sauce or Dael's with minced garlic for about 15 minutes before grilling. Pat dry and grill as usual really yummy!!!

Aloft04

On the Ice
Now I'm really, really hungry.

How could I forget skewered prawns?! A splash of olive oil and lime, skewer and grill them. They're great on their own (on a bed of rice pilaf), or use them in grilled prawn Caesar salad if you've got a crowd and not many prawns.

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Might I suggest veggie burgers or veggie hot dogs? They sound gross, but they're actually quite good on the grill, and with all the soy protein in them, they are quite good for you. I know SuperTarget carries the hot dogs, and most grocery stores have the burgers.

PS: the hot dogs cooked any other way are completely awful. but for some reason, on the grill, they are fab. Go figure.

Have you tried garlic bread on the grill yet? That's wonderful.

Laura :)

JOHIO2

Medalist
Piel,
STOP!!! You're making me hungry!

Grilled veggies, especially made into grilled pizza --- YUM!

Kara, just about every cuisine has grilled entrees and desserts. Bobby Flay is the King of Grillin' but this week before Memorial Day just about every show on Food Network will be doing bbq and picnic foods. No cable, no problem. Just check out the foodtv site and epicurious and Martha Stewart and diy. And those are just the tv sites. OOps, can't forget bsmith.

Try satay and make some salsas to dress up even plain grilled stuff. I'm going to Piels and have some dessert -- her pound cake and grilled pinapple is one of my favorites.

marymotormouth

Rinkside
Kara-

Cut up some red skin potatoes and sliced veggies. I usually use zuchinni, various peppers, a little onion, mushrooms. Basically, whatever you like. Place in a foil packet. Add some water, butter, and season salt. Really yummy!

For fast and easy ribs: Place your ribs in crock pot with some water and cook on low all day. When you're ready, throw them on the grill and sauce them up. The grill will crisp them but the inside is sooooo tender from slow cooking them all day. This makes a really good and quick meal!!

RoaringMice

On the Ice
BBQ veggies are awesome. I grill them so they just char slightly on the edges. Yum. Any veggie you want works.

We also do packet cooking on the grill. You put whatever you want to cook (chicken, a bit of oil, veggies, some spices) into a packet you make from aluminum foil, then grill that. Excellent and very easy.

Kabobs are nice.

Polish sausage grills wonderfully.

Lemon pepper chicken wings, yum.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Have you ever tried whole onions in foil? They are to die for. Completely different flavor. Just add a little butter after you clean them up and put in foil.