Nancy Kerrigan in Pairs?? | Golden Skate

Nancy Kerrigan in Pairs??

mpal2

Final Flight
I was just watching Lifetime's Intimate Portrait of Nancy and got to the part where they were talking about her Coca Cola commercial in 1988. She said the guy in the hockey outfit was her pairs partner. Did Nancy ever competitively skate pairs?

jesslily

Final Flight
I think Nancy has competed in pairs at Junior level when she was around 16 or 17 year old. Her partner was Bobby Martin. They did not do too well and Nancy's pair career ended shortly.

mpal2

Final Flight
Thanks!

I just got to another section that shows they don't know what they're talking about. They said that Nancy placed 3rd in US Nationals and 4th in the World in 1997 after having her son Matthew. I know that's not right, but what pro competitions could they be talking about?

jesslily

Final Flight
I always have hard time to keep tracking each skater's record. One thing for sure Nancy had her son long after she retired from competitive skating. She wrote a book recently called "Artistry on Ice". She has many great tips, but unfortunately she used a so-so writer to help her writing the book which affects the quality of the book.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I wouldn't doubt that she has had training in pairs... she skating with Paul Wylie in one of his shows

IDLERACER

Medalist
A common story (that is currently similar to Tiffany Stiegler's situation). A girl starts out as a pair skater, then grows a bit too tall for most guys to lift and balance, so she switches over to a different discipline.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Both Paul and Nancy trained in pairs when they were younger. When they were both with the Scotvolds they used to skate together "for fun" and skated a "Miss Saigon" pairs exhibition at the Albertville gala.

Don't know which comps they mean, but IIRC Nancy skated in the GoodWill Games after her son was born. She may have taken bronze there, I think Surya won, but my memeory is fuzzy.

Edited to add: my memeory is fuzzy, so I looked it up. Nancy did take bronze at the 2000 GWG behind Surya and Yuka. It seems to have been a pro event that year. http://figureskating.about.com/library/weekly/aa021900a.htm

Last edited:

Yazmeen

On the Ice
That particular Goodwill Games was phenomenal. I saw the second program each skater skated. Brian B. started his with a particularly hard figure ("Iron Cross???") in his program and Orser's axel was amazing. Kat was hysterical when she kissed the ice after her triple toe. It was the best skating from both Nancy and Oksana since Lillehammer, but Nancy definitely deserved the bronze (Oksana wasn't quite as good despite the lutz's and unfortunately, she did her collapse on the ice for an extended period and clutch her stomach routine yet again at the end of her programs. :rolleye: I always felt sorry for the skater who had to follow her when she did that). It was one of the best pro competitions I've ever seen. The skaters took it really seriously and it showed.

mpal2

Final Flight
Weren't the Goodwill Games held right before Rudy announced he was HIV positive? I remember hearing that he was feeling sick but competed anyway. If that's the competition I'm thinking of, I was worried for him because he didn't look that good. He carried on like a trooper though. I was impressed that he finished the competition.

I wish I was able to see COI this year. I would love to see Rudy skate again. :love:

skatingfan5

On the Ice
You are right about the timing of the GWG wrt Rudy Galindo -- it was just before he announced his HIV status. Unfortunately, he had to withdraw from the competition -- I believe that he skated the technical program, but I'm not even sure about that. At the time, he hadn't received the diagnosis yet -- his illness at the GWG is what brought him to the doctor iirc.