Shoma Uno | Page 54 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Shoma was just awesome (and just a bit nuts, lol) at TCC. I felt so badly for him at Worlds when he was upset with his performances there, so I'm glad to see he was able to deliver here and build his confidence again for next season. Excited to see his future in this sport!

skatefan22

Medalist
Interesting newspaper article in Japanese:

from Nikkan Sport http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/1636623.html

Wasn't 2014-15 season when Shoma got consistency on 3A, sort of all of a sudden, also able to hit 4T? The above off-ice trainings must be one of the secrets Shoma can land ratified 4Fs at the recent TCC, too, practicing intensively for only 2 weeks after Boston Worlds. Kudos to him and his team. :yes:

According to this program, Shoma had struggled with 3A for almost three years before Mura advised him to skip 3A and practice 4T. Mura's theory is that probably 4T will help stabilize 3A. So Shoma followed Mura's advice and he indeed managed to get his 4T and 3A eventually.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Wasn't 2014-15 season when Shoma got consistency on 3A, sort of all of a sudden, also able to hit 4T? The above off-ice trainings must be one of the secrets Shoma can land ratified 4Fs at the recent TCC, too, practicing intensively for only 2 weeks after Boston Worlds. Kudos to him and his team. :yes:

He got some advices from Mura but Anthony Liu taught him the 3A and he also worked with Ilia Kulik on the quad. I actually don't find his idea of practicing (7 days a week) healthy. It won't help him in the long run. His team is still Yamada and Higuchi, he doesn't have a full time jump coach - which he desperately needs.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Thank to both, skatefan22 and ioanna. :)

I actually don't find his idea of practicing (7 days a week) healthy. It won't help him in the long run. His team is still Yamada and Higuchi, he doesn't have a full time jump coach - which he desperately needs.

I agree. I worry about his right knee. I'm no expert, but even to my untrained eyes the way he saves landing on jumps is scary. ><
re jump coach: assuming he training base is still in Nagoya (advanced to Chukyo University, right?), can Nakakubo sensei (Sota's & Rika's coach) help Shoma, I wonder? Or, Monna sensei (Miki Ando's coach) maybe? Personally, Takeshi Honda and Yamato Tamura are very good jump coach, too but they base at Kansai Univ. Rink in Osaka...

skatefan22

Medalist
Thank to both, skatefan22 and ioanna. :)

I agree. I worry about his right knee. I'm no expert, but even to my untrained eyes the way he saves landing on jumps is scary. ><
re jump coach: assuming he training base is still in Nagoya (advanced to Chukyo University, right?), can Nakakubo sensei (Sota's & Rika's coach) help Shoma, I wonder? Or, Monna sensei (Miki Ando's coach) maybe? Personally, Takeshi Honda and Yamato Tamura are very good jump coach, too but they base at Kansai Univ. Rink in Osaka...

When Shoma began to land 4T and 3A last season, his landings were week and weird like what he does now with 4F. But this season, he made visible improvement in landing 4T and 3A. I am sure when his 4F stabilizes, his landing will be better.

As for coaching, Shoma's English is even worse than Yuzu :rolleye: so he is unlikely moving overseas. Then I feel that Sota's coach is unlikely to coach him considering they are going to be rivals soon. Yamato Tamura's team has created such a strong rivalry with Yamada team in the ladies field and I don't think the latter will ever let the former to touch any of their students, male or female. Miki's coach is from the Nagoya camp, right? So that is a possible choice.

By the way, where did he say that he trains 7 days a week?

Last edited:

ioanna

Record Breaker
By the way, where did he say that he trains 7 days a week?

http://shoma-uno.tumblr.com/post/143430302214/daisuke-and-shomas-pre-worlds-interview-on-our

Dai: Do you train seven days a week?
Shoma: Yes, I do.
Dai: Wow. I found that out just now. Are you overworking?
Shoma: As long as I get some sleep, I’m good to go.
Dai: Wow, that’s crazy.

Nomura: Is training seven days a week normal?
Dai: Training six days a week is, with one day of rest.
Nomura: So he doesn’t have a rest day.
Dai: Looks like it.

Dai: Are you okay, Shoma? Do you have fun sometimes? Training too much can… Training is important, but the confidence you build from not training is important as well. Nikolai didn’t allow me to practice no matter how much I wanted to. Because of that, I was able to perform in competition despite my condition. I think perhaps you should try this kind of training method; however, I can’t outright recommend this to you, so please discuss it with your coaches. Even when my condition wasn’t the best, when I was still able to perform all right, I think it’s because of this training method. It’s important to give your body a rest.
Shoma: Thank you.

Last edited:

musicfan80

Medalist
I wonder if by training "seven days a week" it means that he is on the ice every day or if he takes a day every week as a conditioning-focused day.

ioanna

Record Breaker
I wonder if by training "seven days a week" it means that he is on the ice every day or if he takes a day every week as a conditioning-focused day.

Judging by Dai's surprised reaction, he's probably on the ice every day.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have said it before and I will say it again: I love this squishy child. :laugh2:

And I'm getting the vibes that he and Satoko have a thing for each other. That would probably be a good thing -- maybe he would practice only 6 days a week then! :love:

Layback11

Record Breaker
And I'm getting the vibes that he and Satoko have a thing for each other. That would probably be a good thing -- maybe he would practice only 6 days a week then! :love:
Lol, I would be far too willing to jump on that ship and trust me, I do not need any more ridiculous skating ships with absolutely no basis in reality. :laugh2:

hamaguri

Record Breaker
Thanks! It's above video
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/kQO6ctfAyfMVuXhgZK5 (6:00)

Around 5:10, his interview,
After worlds, he thought he wouldnt fight with the top skaters if he didn’t change anything.”
About 4 flip, he began practicing it, and on that day, he could land.
At the last, he says (although he succeeded in TCC), he doesn’t forget the frustration that he got at Worlds at all and thinks he should never. He wants to revenge at the stage of Worlds.

-------------
BTW, today, the ice show of PIW Yokohama starts!:) Some photos and information will come up!

Last edited: