American Idol Showdown: May 25th | Golden Skate

American Idol Showdown: May 25th

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Will anyone really vote based on the performances of Fantasia and Diana, or will everyone vote for his or her favorite regardless of how the ladies sing? :D

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I like them both and will be happy with either one winning so therefore, I think I'll just sit back, enjoy, and let America "duke" it out..........:) 42

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I am starting a write in campaign.................
MADELYN for American Idol!!!:love:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't like either one... but I think I'll vote for the *right* person to win based on their performance tomorrow night AS WELL AS the competition as a whole...

Piel said:
I am starting a write in campaign.................
MADELYN for American Idol!!!:love:
(Sung in perfect tune and with superb tone and passion) "I second that emotion!":love:

AFTER Madelyn, unless Fantasia sings worse than I can, I admit my vote is going to her no matter what Diana does. Fantasia has moved me twice this season whereas several times this season I wanted to shoot the TV Elvis-style while Diana was singing. I give props to Diana for being 16 and holding up under the pressure, intensity, and Simon's criticisms, but not to her singing. For me it's still all bells and whistles. Although, with the right training (Twinnie, get a hold of her, charge her more money than anybody could make in real estate just for a year, FIX HER! and then let her out on the world--j/k)--seriously, with the right training and some maturity, Diana could be really something--although I don't know if I could ever get into that particular style, no matter how good the singer.

But I hope they both sing their best. Don't want a repeat of Kelly smashing Justin.

Did anybody see the AI special Sunday night? Kelly said she wasn't even sure she wanted to be a singer until she was in the middle of singing "Natural Woman." She said it was as if the whole thing--the applause, the singing, being onstage--just overcame her in the midst of that song. That was cool to hear because it was during "Natural Woman" that I sat up and said, even though I'd heard Kelly before, "Who IS this woman?! WOWEE!!!" However, I'd also forgotten that Can't Sing Guarini got 42% of the vote. Given that, Seacrest could win.
Rgirl

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Personally, Fantasia had me hooked from the minute she walked into the audition room and started singing, and tho I think there were a couple of nights in the competition when Diana (barely) bettered her, she's got my vote regardless of what happens tomorrow night. I can't see either one of them at this point actually singing BADLY anyway. And I will be one of the first in line at the record store to buy Fantasia's CD, too.....:D

guinevere

Final Flight
At this point I would vote for Fantasia no matter what either does as well. But, I think I'm just gonna sit this finale out. The whole season has left a sour taste in my mouth - and has made me actually think of other things to do besides watch television! :D

guinevere

CB1AB2

Medalist
I watched the special Sunday night. I thought it was good because for me I didn't get to see the auditions from season one =I started watching when the top ones were picked. I loved when they showed Kelly's audition= that was funny and I could listen to "A Moment Like This" over & over & over
What about CLAY=his audition is priceless==he is the one person who took what the judges said every week and came back better and better.
as for me it is Fantasia all the way
(I already got tickets to see this years show when they come to Mass)

cb

WOOF!!! I'll be first in line for tickets to see MAD @ MAD (Madison Square Garden; I know the usual is MSG, but for the sake of PR...). I'd just love to see it called the MAD MAD TOUR. BTW, Twinnie, even though I know the final two are not your favorites, especially one in particular, I'd go MAD to read your professional assessment of their singing and what you would do with them, and possibly others of AI-3's top 12 to improve their singing/performance. I really do learn a lot from them, plus I'm still working my G-ift Spot.:)

And heck fire, CB1AB2, I forgot that tickets for the AI concert went on tour 5-22. Gotta get my butt over to IdolsonFox.com to get me and my fellow AI geeks some. BTW, ITA with you about Clay Aiken's audition. I think his audition tape along with tapes of his progression every week should go into the Smithsonian.

Guinevere,
I hope we can change your mind about not watching the finale. It's only one hour tonight and two hours tomorrow, and you can skip tomorrow since it will just be a recap of the top 12--like we might have to watch JPL again.:eek: I agree that it's time to do something else besides watch TV, but you've come this far and I love reading your reviews. I hope you change your mind, watch tonight, and give us THE GUINEVERE REVIEW.:)

In general, anybody know the Vegas odds on who might win? Just curious.
Rgirl

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Last night we had our end of the year banquet for my Girl Scout troops. During a lag in activity I asked who was following AI (everyone) and who did they want to win. For the older girls, guests, and parents it broke down according to race. African Americans for Fantasia and Whites for Diana. For the younger girls (third through fifth grade) it was all Diana. The exception was the better educated and more liberal parents chose Fantasia regardless of race.

Do you think that this is an indication as to how the nation will vote?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think it has more to do with age than race... Diana is younger... Fantasia has a kid... so that makes her "older"

we did a similar poll on Sunday with the kids... those who watch... during children's church(how my pastor even knows about American Idol is beyond me LOL) and a lot of the kids like the "younger one"... except my brother who still thinks Clay has a chance to win :rolleye:

Then again this is Kenai...

Last edited:

Lotta

On the Ice
I don't like the top two cuz already, four of my favorites (Michael Keown, John, Camille, and Jazzy) are not there. But I'm gonna go for Diana because she really sings damn well and I'm not exactly a huge fan of Fantasia but she's good.

mike79

On the Ice
I don't care what this show will tell people. It was NOT the best season ever. Tonight's finale proved that. Fantasia, while deserving of the final two, is not the best contestant ever, and Diana doesn't deserve to be there.

Here are my rankings:

1. Fantasia: I Believe -- Easily the best performance of the night. She absolutely nailed it. 10/10
2. Fantasia: Summertime -- Not as well done as before, but still pretty amazing. 8/10
3. Diana: Enough is Enough -- Pretty good, easily her best of the night. 7/10
4. Diana: I Believe -- Not even in the same league as Fantasia. The difference in the two versions was light years apart. 6/10
5. Diana: Don't Cry Out Loud -- Bad, far worse than when she performed it last week. 5/10
6. Fantasia: All My Life -- Even as a big Fantasia fan I will say that this was her worst of the season. 4/10

I will be completely honest. I don't care if anyone likes Diana but if anyone thinks she is a better singer than Fantasia then they might be tone deaf. Fantasia proved beyond a shodow of a doubt that she deserves to win this competition.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Well, sorry but I am not tone deaf. They were both terrible but Diana seemed a little better to me. And if they are voting as to the color of their skin, Diana looks to me like she's both. Last week I thought Fantasia was better.

mike79

On the Ice
Sorry if you think I'm insulting anyone but the fact of the matter is that Fantasia can outsing Diana. Diana might be able to outscream Fantasia but that's a whole other debate. Even Randy, a big Diana fan, told her that she has problems with lower notes. Fantasia, OTOH, actually hits notes in every register.

Singing should not be defined as who can sustain the loudest, longest glorynote. That's what Diana DeGarmo does. Is she a horrible singer? No. Is she good enough to be the American Idol? No. She tries to sing like Kelly Clarkson but doesn't come close.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I never liked Kelly either. :laugh: Just talked to my daughter and she sure agreed with me on Fantasia and her nasalness.
And Diana couldn't hit on key.
My decision: No winner. :laugh:
p. s. My daughter was a music teacher.

mike79

On the Ice
There's no question that Fantasia sounds somewhat nasally. She's very reminiscent of Macy Gray. Personally I liken her to Billie Holliday in the way she sings. Whether one likes her voice or not, the point is that the talent is there in spades.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Boy Mike, I'm going to have to throw you to the ceiling fan again.
:laugh:
Singing nasally is not talent.

mike79

On the Ice
I find that Fantasia goes nasally only when she goes overboard with her crazy 'Yeah, Yeah's', leading into some weird screeching--take for example her horrible first song tonight. The rest of the time she is singing in key with usually excellent pitch.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.:)