Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: American Idol Showdown: May 25th

Not the droid you're looking for
    Fantasia's "I Believe" made me cry, too. Amazon Princess got the chills. Between us, Fantasia got 10 votes last night!
    While I'd like to see her take the prize, I'm concerned that Simon's all-too-obvious preferences will work against her. While that's a pity, I really don't think final placement will matter at all in the long run. America has discovered Fantasia Barrino, and she doesn't need to be the American Idol to be a star. She's already there.
    Rave

from UNCULTURED Granny. Fantasia to me is like chalk squeaking on a blackboard.

Originally posted by show 42
    Well, I got as far as Fantasia's second song and I broke my own rule and listened to the "judges".......when Simon said that Fantasia was the best singer they have every had, I switched channels.....she may be on the same level as Kelly, LaToya, and Tamara, but she is NOT better than Clay........anyway, I am officially done, won't watch tomorrow night.......I switched to the Laker's game........go Shaq.......... 42
    whoa... put Kelly in the CLAY league... not the Fantasia league... they are soooooooooooooooooooo not in the same league!

While I'd like to see her take the prize, I'm concerned that Simon's all-too-obvious preferences will work against her. While that's a pity, I really don't think final placement will matter at all in the long run.
    Ruben won... Kelly won... and Simon praised them so much during the finale it was almost sickening(well at least in the Ruben case, I totally agreed with him on Kelly!)

Custom Title
    So are you guys looking forward to the finale tonight? I'm looking forward to it only because it's the end of the season. Yes, I really like Fantasia but i would have preferred to see her compete against Latoya or Jennifer.

I don't think that tonight's show will be anywhere near the emotion of the first season's finale. Kelly's reaction was so genuine, even if it wasn't a surprise that she won. That's usually the case with most things though; the first is always the best.

Last year's finale was pretty ho-hum if you ask me. Ruben was ok at best when he and Clay performed the previous night, while Clay wasn't at his best either. To top it all off Ruben's reaction to winning the title, although very nice, didn't really feel that exciting.

Clay's reaction to Ruben winning was classic though... made me respect him even more (granted he cheated and snuck a peak at Ryan's cards ) but he wasn't even anywhere near the stage while Ruben sang, letting the American Idol have the spotlight... really great.

but ITA... I didn't watch AI the first season until the finale week... but I was crying... she was just soooooo excited!

to answer the question... I'll be glad it's over... am I excited? No, I'm mad at AI... not coming to Alaska AGAIN... and neither is Clay *pouts*

Custom Woman
    Originally posted by show 42
    I dunno........taking a year off of singing or signing a recording contract to tweak your pipes might be "singing suicide" for Diana. Best to stay in the public eye, record songs suited to her voice, and retain a vocal coach to work with her as she goes along might be the way to go.........42
    Given the reality of things, I think you're right, Show. Plus, with Diana's AI visibility and popularity, financially it would be crazy to just disappear to work on her voice. I guess I was thinking "in this best of all possible worlds" lol. My concern for Diana, however, is that if she doesn't know how to save her voice, over the course of the summer concert, belting out those glory notes so often might cause her vocal chords some problems. But she's 16, meaning at a very recuperative age, and also her voice has held up well so far. I do agree with your idea of getting a vocal coach to work with her as she starts performing (even though she'll be traveling) and working on her CD. I just hope none of the AI-3 contestants who have a chance at a real career react to the suggestion of getting "singing lessons" ie a vocal coach, the way JPL did when Simon suggested it, like, "What? ME need singing lessons!? Are you crazy!" I know JPL didn't say that, but I thought his facial expressions and body language said that.

Grgranny,
    Sorry I didn't write that better.:( Anyway, I didn't mean uncultured equals fans of Diana. Hey, Randy has been a fan of Diana from the beginning and he certainly knows singing. If you love Diana, good for you and enjoy what 'm sure will be her long career.

Twinnie,
    One last thing: ITA that a final between Fantasia and Jennifer would have been AMAZING! I love LaToya's voice and she can do incredible things with it, but the longer the show went on, the more I found her lacking in emotion. Jennifer, OTOH, seemed to be hitting her stride vocally and emotionally about two shows before she got voted off. Sigh. Plus I loved her beautiful low voice from day one, even when she was struggling with her singing.

BTW, I just heard on E! that Sharon Osbourne voted for Fantasia, if anybody cares, lol. Less than 10 minutes till show time. Rgirl, off.
    Rgirl

Well, I did stick it out until they announced the winners. After watching a few minutes I thought "why am I watching this?" because to me they were all bad. Didn't hear one that I thought was any good. So, we'll see if I watch next time they go on. S'pose there's something wrong with my ears?
    Rgirl, no I don't like Diana either.

Custom Woman
    Nothing wrong with your ears, Grgranny. Frankly, I'm not a pop music fan at all. Now '50s and '60s soul and Motown, that's different. But what draws me into AI is each person's story and the "drama of the vote." Most of them aren't good enough to ever get a record deal and at least one this season got worse as time went on. Nope, nobody has to like any of the singers or the show--and those are probably the very most culturally well-educated people since they're probably reading Rilke instead of listening to Simon, lol.

Listen to whomever you like, Grgranny.
    Rgirl

I keep hoping for another Judy Garland or Frank Sinatra. :D :D

Originally posted by Grgranny
    I keep hoping for another Judy Garland or Frank Sinatra. :D :D
    Why? We've already had one of each! We've never had a Fantasia before! (Okay, well, she does remind me vocally of Macy Gray and Tina Turner and Aretha Franklin all rolled into one, but she's still an original and she's just getting started!) :D

Don't know of the other two but dislike Aretha Franklin intensly.

Wow, I don't think I've ever heard of someone who dislikes Aretha Franklin intensely!

I just checked in with Amazon.com (my home away from home) to see what's new and Diana's release of "I Believe" is at # 5 and Fantasia's single, same title, is at #9.......they sure cranked those out quickly...........42

I just think the big difference to me is what I was raised on and how much the world is so different than back then. I also wonder sometimes if people's hearing is different from one to the other. Kind of like I don't like green but love blues, pinks, purples, reds, etc.

Grgranny, my mother and my late grandmother can't stand Aretha. Mommaw used to say "You call that singing? I call that just screamng and making noise." Same thing with Patti Labelle.

One of Mommaws favorite songs was"Last Date" by Floyd Kramer. She also liked cajun music especially'Down at the Twist and Shout" by Mary Chapin Carpenter.
    Last edited by Piel; 05-27-2004 at 09:04 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast