American Idol Showdown: May 25th | Page 3 | Golden Skate

American Idol Showdown: May 25th

guinevere

Final Flight
Wow, I don't think I've ever heard of someone who dislikes Aretha Franklin intensely!

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I just checked in with Amazon.com (my home away from home) to see what's new and Diana's release of "I Believe" is at # 5 and Fantasia's single, same title, is at #9.......they sure cranked those out quickly...........42

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I just think the big difference to me is what I was raised on and how much the world is so different than back then. I also wonder sometimes if people's hearing is different from one to the other. Kind of like I don't like green but love blues, pinks, purples, reds, etc.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Grgranny, my mother and my late grandmother can't stand Aretha. Mommaw used to say "You call that singing? I call that just screamng and making noise." Same thing with Patti Labelle.

One of Mommaws favorite songs was"Last Date" by Floyd Kramer. She also liked cajun music especially'Down at the Twist and Shout" by Mary Chapin Carpenter.

Last edited:

sk8tngcanuck

On the Ice
from UNCULTURED Granny. Fantasia to me is like chalk squeaking on a blackboard

I could not agree more, Granny....

This woman's voice has grated on me since the first moment I heard it. I too am untrained musically, but I know all I want to do when she sings is stuff my ears for gauze.

All the best to her, and I am sure she will have a following regardless of what we all think. All I know is that the results saved me $ 20.00 seeing as how my little Miss thinks she sounds like Daffy Duck, and won't be asking me to buy the CD!

Canuck

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Fantasia's voice does nothing for me, either... but at least she can sing in tune... even if her tone stinks.

sk8tngcanuck said:
All I know is that the results saved me $ 20.00 seeing as how my little Miss thinks she sounds like Daffy Duck, and won't be asking me to buy the CD!

Canuck
No, I think it's more "Minnie Mouse on helium." :laugh:

But I love it. I agree with Sk8m8 and others who compare Fantasia's voice to Billie Holiday's. But, to me, Fantasia is a totally unique talent,with a unique voice, a unique style and a one-of-a-kind approach to everything. I think of all the idol contestants, including the winners from previous seasons, Fantasia will be the one to have a life-long career in music.

Mathman

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Mathman said:
But, to me, Fantasia is a totally unique talent,with a unique voice, a unique style and a one-of-a-kind approach to everything. I think of all the idol contestants, including the winners from previous seasons, Fantasia will be the one to have a life-long career in music.

Mathman

ITA. I was not a Fantasia fan at first, but I think that she is truly hands down winner of this competition. Even her name sounds like a star! Also, it's nice to see someone who has been through the school of hard knocks come out on top for a change.

cianni

On the Ice
cianni

l Couldnt agree more. Clive Davis has plans for her and she will be a Star with a long career. I think the rest will fade in time. Im happy for her the world of hard knocks can have a happy ending.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I just wonder how many CDs it'll take before we get to hear the REAL Fantasia -- what I suspect is going to happen is her first couple of CDs are going to feature a lot of really mediocre songs that her voice will just be wasted on; might take her a while to get into a position to cut loose and do some incredibly great stuff. As long as the AI bloom is still on the rose, though, I'm not expecting any really great songs. After all, they tried to turn Ruben into Usher on his CD, and I am not a fan of anything I've heard off Clay's, tho I still love his voice.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
actually Ruben's CD was all his idea... they wanted his R&B side to come through more on the CD

as for Clay's I love his stuff... a lot of his fans were bummed when he said he wouldn't fall into the "pop" mode where all he sings about is sex... in fact he and Clive got into a bit of an argument over some lyrics in "Measure of a Man" Clive saying he needed something to sex it up... and Clay basically told him that he didn't NEED to have a CD or any sort of contract... and Clive basically let Clay have free reign after that--as far as lyrics--Clay, I think, said they had something like 16 songs in all but only 14 made the final cut...