Interesting ebay auction | Golden Skate

Interesting ebay auction

bronxgirl

Medalist
In some of the old cigarette ads, they even had doctors as the "celebrity endorsers". Now that one is a hoot in this day and age. I still know physicians who smoke, but it is clandestine and they are not encouraging any of their patients to emulate them.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I used to smoke:eek: . And when did I start..... as a nursing student in report between shifts. surounded by a room full of smoking nurses. I can remeber when we were allowed to smoke at the nurses station, as long as it wasn't visiting hours. In one of my med-surg textbooks it suggests encouraging a patient to have a cigarette to relax if they cannot provide a urine speciman. Hmmm I wonder if the USFSA offered that suggestion to Kyoko Ina when she couldn't????:D

:laugh: I think the latest texts recommend marijuana for that purpose. (Er, I mean in general, not referring to Kyoko ;) )

Mathman

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I have known many figure skaters - especially coaches who smoked - one would see them after practice smoking. I guess I did not give it much thought then.

This is a typical ad from that time period. Pretty vintage stuff. People actually were convinced in those days - by Drs. no less - that smoking was "good for you."

Remember the "Call for Philip Morris" ad?

IDLERACER

Medalist
That link inspired me to do some research on Donna Atwood. All I managed to find out, is that she was born in February of 1923, which would make her 81 today. I couldn't find any info about her whereabouts if she's still among the living, or the date of her funeral if she isn't.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Dick Button used to smoke like a chimney. My husband, who also smoked, used to run into Dick outside arenas just after smoking was banned from inside them. Ski quit smoking, so I no longer have a source as to whether Dick still smokes.

I always wondered whether Dick smoked in his competition days.

It didn't used to be that unusual for athletes to smoke and the first baseball cards were offered by cigarette companies, not by bubblegum manufacturers.

In fact when Tonya Harding smoked, and it was a scandal, you could say she was just unaware that it had gone out of fashion and was no longer thought to be healthy for asthmatics. At one point, I seem to recall that menthol cigarettes were supposed to be beneficial.

Last edited:

RoaringMice

On the Ice
I think a lot of skaters even today smoke. Do I remember Alexi Yagudin smoking?

Dancers do, too. In fact, dancers are famous for it.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Artur Dmitriev smokes, and did all throughout his eligible career.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
At one point, I seem to recall that menthol cigarettes were supposed to be beneficial.

Lot's of people who smoke non-menthol cigarettes switch to menthol when they have a cold or sore throat, LOL. Kind of like Vicks Vaporub.
:D