Any advice/tips for a first time World's attendee? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Any advice/tips for a first time World's attendee?

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
The only thing I would say sucks a little bit about the generally very good website is the seat selection. A graphic that shows you what is available and what is not available would be good. I have my one-time seat change option available, but I don't know what is available or not. I wouldn't mind being a few rows closer, but since I requested row 11 originally, I'm guessing row 19 was as close as it could get in that section.

Right. For me (and maybe it's still like this), all you could do is order your tickets and then describe what your seating preference would be, and then a few days later someone tells you where your seats are assigned.

At this point, I'd guess your seats are probably the best available based on that area of the judges' side. I received my seating assignments a few months ago.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Right. For me (and maybe it's still like this), all you could do is order your tickets and then describe what your seating preference would be, and then a few days later someone tells you where your seats are assigned.

At this point, I'd guess your seats are probably the best available based on that area of the judges' side. I received my seating assignments a few months ago.

Yeah, I was figuring so. It doesn't bother me too much, it looks like I'll have a reasonable view. :)

Tanka

On the Ice
lyverbird1, you'll have great time, I'm sure!
I'll add my piece of advice if it's not too late.

You won't be able to embrace it all. Just be prepared for it. If you go to see practices you may miss some of the competitions. If you look at one side of the ice field something interesting may happen in the other side. Anyway, you'll see much more than those in front of TV.
If you like to wave flags make sure to learn where you can buy them in advance. I was so sure I'd able to find flags in Shanghai but I wasn't. I had my national flag but I wish I had more for all my favorite skaters.
Remember that there are cameras everywhere and even if there are thousands of people you never know when they can pick you to show. There was a moment in Shanghai when they showed a lady's face and then she started using a toothstick. I rewatched some of the moments after my return from China and at least once I found myself looking really stupid. :biggrin:
And the advice I wish I'd been given before going. Walk over the arena and you may run against some skaters (don't even dream about Hanyu, though). I didn't know about it and saw nobody but other people did. And the ladies who lived in the same hotel with me met Plushenko on their way to bathroom.

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
If you like to wave flags make sure to learn where you can buy them in advance.

I am not much of a banner/flag waver in general, but for the North American competitions, I'm definitely coming armed with a few Russian flags! :cool:

Great point... even as a spectator at an event, you must be prepared for your camera close-up at any moment. Don't think you won't find yourself showing up on a national NBC broadcast, even if for a few brief seconds. ;)

Eclair

Medalist
As long as I get decent cell reception, I will be visiting GS at various times during the events.

I'm planning on doing videos on YouTube immediately afterward to talk about the event as a whole, and my experiences there, if anyone is interested in that type of thing.

That's so nice of you! :clap: But don't overstrain yourself. I've only been to one event, but believe me when I say: attending a competition is EXHAUSTING! You would think sitting in the arena all day, munching snacks, occasionally interrupted by clapping or standing up wouldn't be much of a challenge, but au contraire! And the more emotionally invested you are, the more days the event is going, the more exhausting it is! :biggrin:

lyverbird1

Final Flight
lyverbird1, you'll have great time, I'm sure!
I'll add my piece of advice if it's not too late.

You won't be able to embrace it all. Just be prepared for it. If you go to see practices you may miss some of the competitions. If you look at one side of the ice field something interesting may happen in the other side. Anyway, you'll see much more than those in front of TV.
If you like to wave flags make sure to learn where you can buy them in advance. I was so sure I'd able to find flags in Shanghai but I wasn't. I had my national flag but I wish I had more for all my favorite skaters.
Remember that there are cameras everywhere and even if there are thousands of people you never know when they can pick you to show. There was a moment in Shanghai when they showed a lady's face and then she started using a toothstick. I rewatched some of the moments after my return from China and at least once I found myself looking really stupid. :biggrin:
And the advice I wish I'd been given before going. Walk over the arena and you may run against some skaters (don't even dream about Hanyu, though). I didn't know about it and saw nobody but other people did. And the ladies who lived in the same hotel with me met Plushenko on their way to bathroom.

It's NEVER too late for good advice and thank you! I remember watching a sporting event once and the camera panned onto a section of the crowd where, just at that exact moment, a lady had chosen to dive her hand into her top to fish up the bra strap. I shall be at my elegant best at all times. Sort of.

Thanks for the advice about the flags. Will have to have a few ready for my favourites as well as having my Irish flag ready. There's not exactly a wealth of Irish skaters but it is a very important time in our country's history that week so will be showing some patriotism! But otherwise, it's fun to be neutral and be able to support different skaters from different countries!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Holy moly, we're in the row in front of you, seats 17-18. Will probably turn out to be a whole huddle sitting together!!! YAY!!!

And only a couple of seats away! :)

It's NEVER too late for good advice and thank you! I remember watching a sporting event once and the camera panned onto a section of the crowd where, just at that exact moment, a lady had chosen to dive her hand into her top to fish up the bra strap. I shall be at my elegant best at all times. Sort of.

With my clumsiness, that will totally be me. *facepalm*

Thanks for the advice about the flags. Will have to have a few ready for my favourites as well as having my Irish flag ready. There's not exactly a wealth of Irish skaters but it is a very important time in our country's history that week so will be showing some patriotism! But otherwise, it's fun to be neutral and be able to support different skaters from different countries!

I will have my Australian flag :) We can be little-country central! If Lukas' dream comes true, I will have to find a Latvian one also.

waxel

Final Flight
I'm staying at Westin Copley Place. Does anyone know its proximity to the Garden?

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
It's a bit more central than the Wyndham - if you use the "T" you should be fine.. From Copley Sq, take the Green Line "T" train marked "North Station" going "Inbound" which goes direct to the TD Garden. Returning, catch the "North Station" T back to Copley Square. Have fun!!

Last edited:

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Just booked an all-event ticket and reserved my hotel. This will be the first ever time I have been to any skating event live. Really excited, but also nervous!

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Oh, nervous excitement, I suppose. Have got to wait to see what seat I have. That was hard picking because I have no past experience to go by. Same with hotel as I don't know Boston. I suppose, it all comes down to that I am mostly excited with a slight sense also that this is the most expensive 'holiday' I have ever taken and I hope I don't botch it up with any wrong decisions along the way! :laugh: Excitement is foremost though!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'd be glad to answer any Boston questions from a tourist perspective. I went to US Nationals there and I found Boston to be really easy to get around. It is a really a nice walkable city and the public transit is easy to use.

One food tip: if the rules are the same as nationals, ie you can leave the arena during zamboni breaks with a wristband, I'd recommend doing a fast walk downstairs to the train/subway station (North Station, which is right below the arena). There are a few nice food options and they are at normal prices. I often used the Zamboni breaks to get an iced coffee from the Dunkin Donuts there. There is also a McDonald, a decent pizza place and a healthy food (salads and smoothies) place.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for the food tip, Mrs. P - if anyone can provide ideas where to eat healthier fast food (Panera, Chipotle, etc) in the area, that would be helpful.

Also, I'm sitting in the cheap seats in Section 319 - does anyone have experience sitting up there and how are the sightlines? I'm going to bring binoculars anyway.

Last edited:

Layback11

Record Breaker
Thanks for the food tip, Mrs. P - if anyone can provide ideas where to eat healthier fast food (Panera, Chipotle, etc) in the area, that would be helpful.

Also, I'm sitting in the cheap seats in Section 319 - does anyone have experience sitting up there and how are the sightlines? I'm going to bring binoculars anyway.

At Nationals, I sat a little ways up in the bottom left corner. I could see the ice well, but if you have somehow-compromised eyesight, binoculars would be recommended.

nieves

On the Ice
Just bought my tickets! Balcony area... crossing my fingers that I get a good seat. This will be my first time seeing any elite level figure skating I am sooo excited.

Layback11

Record Breaker
Thanks to everyone giving advice! Really helpful to read. :)

Yeah, same here! I've never been to Boston or any international events, so this will be pretty new to me (I'd guess it was bigger than Nationals, and thus a different layout, etc). One question: is it absolutely imperative to buy your tickets this far in advance?