Neibourhood Noise Level Tolerance - Low | Golden Skate

Neibourhood Noise Level Tolerance - Low

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Having endured some very obnoxious, horrible tenants living in the suite below me, I am now very aware of every noise I hear. I date someone who lives in a townhouse, and he has noisy neighbours now as well - they blast their stero on the weekends. Of course, it bugs me when I am there. I already had a run in with his neighbours about it.

What is your noise level tolerance? I am afraid mine is not very high. I wince at the least bit of noise and have to hold myself back from saying anything to the person causing the noise. One of these days someone might just "let me have it" for snapping at them.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I have been so lucky that my neighbors aren't very close. My lot is almost an acre. Of course, I know when I move it will be worse since I am looking for a very small yard. Actually, I don't remember ever having noisy neighbors - except for the boy that threw firecrackers down the basement steps of my apartment. The noise here is the trains and I am a couple of blocks from it. They say they get used to it but I never did. Was closer in the last house and it all totals up to 50 years. I do want to stay in this town when I move and hope I don't have to be quite as close but there are trains on 3 sides of town! My daughter in Fort Worth is having big trouble with noisy neighbors and smokers next to and above her apartment. And she's allergic to smoke too.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Grgranny:

Wow! What a luxury - a one acre lot. My mom and dad had one-half an acre and that was large.

It's a drag having to downsize! Actually, I would not mind the train sound too much. It would depend of course, how close to the tracks I am and how often I would hear it. However, it's better than people noise.

I feel bad for your daughter. People can be so obnoxious these days and they don't care about anyone else! That's the part that gets me.

I wish you the best in your move. I too hope to move soon.

Thanks!

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Lad, I was born and raised on a large ranch in the country, so growing up, the sky was the limit as far as noise was concerned. I now live in town and love it, and I'm pretty tolerant to voices, but not so for loud music after 10 o'clock at night, and barking dogs anytime of the day or night.......42

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I hate hate hate hearing my neighbors!!! I grew up in the DC metro area and we were lucky enough to have a house set on a huge acre plus lot... never heard anything but bugs and birds.... when we moved to texas we had a huge lot again (most people do down here, everything's bigger in texas you know :p ) Every now and again one of our neighbors will hire a mariachi band to play for some patio party, but other than that the only noise we hear is from the waterfall in our pool and the ocasional deer hooves on our patio (we really dont know how they jump our 6 foot fence).

But oh goodness in college I had the worlds loudest neighbors... keg parties every night of the week, firecrackers for no reason... drunken screaming. I loved the energy my freshman year, but at 22 I feel like I'm over that phase.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
show 42:

That must have been a great way to grow up! Did you have a horse? I always wanted a horse.

Where was your ranch? It must be difficult to live in the city now. I hate the city.

The "natives" seem restless tonight. Kids screaming. People slamming doors as they leave. I can't wait to move out of here. It will be soon. I hope!

I hate living in an apt. :mad:

SusanBeth

Final Flight
I was the 7 th of 10 kids. I have 2 teenagers. Each one is equipped with her own stereo. Anything quieter than a sonic boom doesn't bother me. I just learned to tune it out.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
SusanBeth:

I can't do that! Noise - especially loud intrusive noise - bothers me! Boom boxes, noisy cars, loud stereos, whatever - can't tolerate it for long.

It's a noisy world. Going Mad!!!! If I had a stick of dynamite!!!!

dizzydi

On the Ice
Noise................

Ladskater,

I presume you have no children?

If not, don't go there. Talk about noise!

Dizzy

guinevere

Final Flight
I have a pretty high tolerance for noise, I guess. The building I moved into last fall is annoyingly "quiet" - there are people who call themselves the Noise Police and complain about every little noise. One yelled (yes, yelled) at a new tenant who was mixing maragritas in a blender - at 6pm on a Friday! While I was doing work on my place on a Saturday afternoon that involved hammering, I was told that someone in the building "might" be taking a nap, so I had to stop. Another woman was forced to get wall-to-wall carpeting, and the person below her still didn't believe her and complained that she was too loud walking around. I think this is just rude.

In a multiple-unit building there is a certain level of noise bleed that one has to expect. I can hear my next-door neighbor's tv and stereo at normal levels, someone's phone (can't figure out whose) is audible in my kitchen, and the girl who lives above me wears heels 24/7 and I always hear her clicking around (she also slams her door when she gets home :D) - but these are everyday noises and I imagine they hear me the same way. I leave my radio on when I'm not home so the dog won't bark, and I can hear it through my door in the hallway, even though it's at a very normal volume.

I'm not saying that people in apartment buildings should tolerate being kept awake at 3am by partying neighbors whose stereos are on full blast - but between the hours of 8am and 10pm (midnight on weekends), I would never dream of complaining about anyone else's noise, and I would not respond very well to someone telling me to keep it down.

guinevere

bronxgirl

Medalist
Living in the city, I had no tolerance for TVs or radios heard through the usually paper thin walls. I even had one neighbor who was outraged that I didn't want to hear opera. At 1AM on a midweek morning.
Now that I live in the "country" the crickets are driving me nuts. I have to play my radio softly on the weekends so the silence doesn't keep me awake. Maybe I just need a tape of subway trains and ambulance sirens as my nighttime sounds of serenity. ;)

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Bronx.......crickets driving you nuts........I can relate to that....:)

Lad.......our ranch was in the middle of the San Joaquin Valley...not horses, but plenty of ranches around us had them, so I got my fill of riding. The only thing in our barns were tractors, (modern day horses for ranching).......:D 42

I love living in town because the country can be "too quiet", believe it or not and that can be the loneliest of sounds. I've had my share of apartment living though, and swear the guy who lived above me wore granite boots...doesn't anyone go barefoot anymore? 42

Last edited:

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
While I am pretty tolerant of noise, last night, at about 2 am, my neighbors came home from the bar and she was completely drunk and screaming at him, obscenities and all. They decided to argue in the hallway. Lovely.

I lived right across the street from a busy train track when I lived in Landstuhl, Germany, and it only took me about a week to get used it. I miss it now. :(

Laura :)

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Dee4707 :

That's Hilarious! Thanks. I should have that made into a poster for my wall.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
guinevere :

You must have better nerves than I do. I need to live out in the middle of the prairie. Maybe I can take up homesteading in Alberta.

JOHIO2

Medalist
Lad,

Moving to the prairie might not solve the problem either. If you get a loud neighbor within 5 miles, you'd know it. No hills to deaden sound, so it just goes on and on like it does over open water. (remember, I live near Lake Erie. I can hear the ships long before they make dock. But, I also can hear the fireworks from Jacobs Field when the Indians get a homer, which they get too few of lately.)

I used to live right next to train tracks and I usually had no problem. Once it became the usual noise, I found I could ignore it, even in the summer with windows open. Grgranny, there are only 2 sets of tracks in our town and I live in the middle of them!

That said, I've always found that stress quickly makes for noise intolerence. Guess it's that "last nerve" thing. The "straw that broke the camels' back." I know every time I've ever had to move I went through a period of noise intolerence. But once I'd settled in and settled down and cataloged most of the noise as business as usual, I did better. And when I've had a lot of stress it doesn't take much to push me over the edge. All the stuff with your neighbors and job stuff all at the same time probably made you more sensitive and aware of noise. Maybe a period of quiet will let your nerves relax and not jump at everything.

If that doesn't work, I found a fan or other "white noise" like tapes of water and new agish music can help me relax and shut out some of the annoyance.

Still, I hope you get to move soon and find a more relaxing neighborhood, if such a thing exists!

JOHIO2

Medalist
To all,

Just a thought for people in Cinncinati and Indiana and Illinois and whoever else is currently living with the loud invasion of the 17 year locusts: been there, done that, and probably gonna live to hear it again. Awful, isn't it? Almost enough to get you to a doctor for a tranquilizer!!!! Fortunately, they eventually get their noisy business over and new locusts dig in for another 17 years.

Unfortunately, by the time these locusts are gone, a new group of later summer cicadas show up to take their place.

(Personally, I always found crickets soothing. It's those love sick frogs that drove me nuts.)

Ladskater

Record Breaker
JOHIO2:

Thanks! You "put it in a nutshell" - it is my nerves! The noise just adds to my already freyed nerves. After a busy day at work and driving in the bumper to bumper traffic and enduring endless rain storms - all I want is some peace and quiet!!!

I enjoyed reading about your area you live in. Living next to train tracks!! Although, strange as it sounds I have always liked the distant sound of a train going by and the whistle blowing. Yet, I can't stand someone's noisy car or stero booming!

Yes, I think a change of scenery will do me good. I am hoping to buy a house soon. It's been in the works for quite awhile, and I am hoping it will happen soon! It may not be the perfect solution as you pointed out, but it will be a big improvement on apt. life, I am sure.

I also use fans to block out noise. Someone at GS suggested that to me a long time ago and it works! Have been doing it ever since.

Thanks again for the great reply.

guinevere

Final Flight
Hey Ladskater,

I thought of you last night, as I realized that, while I have a high tolerance for my neighbors' noise, I really really hate poeple shouting and carrying on outside. Sadly, where I live now, this is not uncommon in the middle of the night. It's not the volume that gets me - it's the fact that usually people cursing each other out or otherwise engaging in behaviour that makes we just want to yell "SHUT THE %#@* UP!!" out my window (which I don't because that's inviting a larger problem).

Plus, those kinds of noises make my dog go on 'high alert'...which can lead to barking...which puts ME in the position of being the noisy neighbor no one wants around! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

guinevere