Jumps and Spins competition | Golden Skate

Jumps and Spins competition

Rinaskate

Rinkside
What are the reasons to participate in jumps and spins competition when also competing in FS skating competition? My daughter is pre-juv FS competitor and some of her friends are also starting to do just jumps or spins competion in addition to FS. Is it just to get more experience performing for judges?

gkelly

Record Breaker
What are the reasons to participate in jumps and spins competition when also competing in FS skating competition? My daughter is pre-juv FS competitor and some of her friends are also starting to do just jumps or spins competion in addition to FS. Is it just to get more experience performing for judges?

That's one reason.

It can also be an opportunity to focus on perfecting skills that don't fit into a program as well. Speaking from my own experience, I can do a better layback in isolation than I can at the end of a program, for example. Or even if connecting moves don't officially count, these little programs can be an opportunity to try some that might be too demanding of time, or physical or mental energy, in a program full of the skater's hardest jumps.

At pre-juv, a jump competition might be a better context in which to focus on getting axels or double jumps as big and clean as possible.

All of the above can apply to "compulsory moves" events that mix jumps and spins and some other skating moves.

A skater who is significantly better at jumps than at basic skating and presentation, or better at spins than at jumps, might have a better chance to get encouragement by medalling in these element events than in a well-balanced program -- even if they're also always working on trying to balance out their skill set.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
And in addition to gkelly's excellent post, quite simply:

It's fun!

It's a competition scenario - but it's fun. At the end of the day, the results don't count towards anything, it's not going to stop her going to the next level in her skating, and if anything, it could give her the confidence that in front of a panel of judges she can do the jumps.

You could check out the recap of the Freezer Challenge on IceNetwork - the skaters there were all having a good time and a lot of fun performing their most difficult jumps for the judges and the crowd.

leafygreens

Final Flight
Some people are better at jumps, or spins, and want to only compete those elements. It's an opportunity for more medals and more performance experience.

loopy

Final Flight
My daughter's friends love them, if the freeskate is really competitive, they have a chance at another medal and it is less stressful and more fun.

vlaurend

Final Flight
Another reason is to get your spins in front of a technical and judging panel and see what levels and GOE's they get.