Who will be Canada's #1 Lady 2015-16? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who will be Canada's #1 Lady 2015-16?

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
not worried with junior ladies... we have quite a few years with this trio... by then new girls will blossom

I don't know much about junior ladies in Canada. Who are the hopefuls? Are they competing much internationally?

actualrealliveanna

On the Ice
I have a feeling that Alaine Chartrand will surprise us all. Her LP was one of my favorites last season, and when she's having a good day, she's just lovely to watch.

AprilS

On the Ice
not worried with junior ladies... we have quite a few years with this trio... by then new girls will blossom
I sure hope so :party: Then again, Canadian ladies usually aren't the strongest of the four disciplines

I don't know much about junior ladies in Canada. Who are the hopefuls? Are they competing much internationally?

Sarah Tamura and Megan Yim maybe? The Canadian junior girls didn't have a very strong showing this year though :no:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I suppose it will be exciting to see who wins Nationals and it seems a battle between Chartrand, Daleman and Osmond. Osmond would be the clear fave but for the injury which really is injuries. She hasn't been healthy since the 2012-13 season. One of the problems Osmond has is that a3flip triple toe combo is useless if she doesn't have the loop or lutz for the individual jump in the short. She had so much potential theninjury sort of killed it. Still as neither Chartrand or Daleman could shall we say fully seize the day I think Osmond is the only hope Canada has in what appears to be off years in ladies for them still. When I was young I remember reading and sometimes watching Jennifer Robinson. She won many national titles and I think her results weren't all that different world wise to Osmond (right now) but she just did not ignite interest. She was slow, cautious and two foot her jumps often though she sometimes even did 7 triples. At least with Osmond and to a point Chartrand and Daleman they have some spark. But they are no Joannie or Liz or even Josee Chouinard.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I suppose it will be exciting to see who wins Nationals and it seems a battle between Chartrand, Daleman and Osmond. Osmond would be the clear fave but for the injury which really is injuries. She hasn't been healthy since the 2012-13 season. One of the problems Osmond has is that a3flip triple toe combo is useless if she doesn't have the loop or lutz for the individual jump in the short. She had so much potential theninjury sort of killed it. Still as neither Chartrand or Daleman could shall we say fully seize the day I think Osmond is the only hope Canada has in what appears to be off years in ladies for them still. When I was young I remember reading and sometimes watching Jennifer Robinson. She won many national titles and I think her results weren't all that different world wise to Osmond (right now) but she just did not ignite interest. She was slow, cautious and two foot her jumps often though she sometimes even did 7 triples. At least with Osmond and to a point Chartrand and Daleman they have some spark. But they are no Joannie or Liz or even Josee Chouinard.
i agree... joannie, liz, josee chouinard... all greater skaters... even phaneuf when she did so well at the 2010 worlds... robinson was (no comments)

Weathergal

Medalist
I think out of Alaine Chartrand, Gabrielle Daleman, and Veronik Mallet, that Chartrand shows the most promise. But a healthy Kaetlyn Osmond, which she certainly appears to be in those FB posts, will beat them all.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think out of Alaine Chartrand, Gabrielle Daleman, and Veronik Mallet, the Chartrand shows the most promise. But a healthy Katelyn Osmond, which she certainly appears to be in those FB posts, will beat them all.

Agreed! As to the poster who was "jealous " of Canada's team I don't think there is that amount or a lot to be jealous. Although they have a gold in pairs and bronze in dance both teams are really vulnerable and in particular Duhamel and Radford could be beaten by a pair of Chinese teams as well as 2 or 3 Russian teams and not even podium (this assumes also they stay ahead of Savchenko's team. The ladies in Canada are at best bottom top ten unless Osmond is able to come back healthy, strong and continue developing as a skater. USA and Russia have far more depth. And we have no idea if Chan will return strongly - it sounds like he has given up even trying to compete with Hanyu technically (for now). Nguyen is a huge question mark as he will have to have a huge change over to a more mature look next year really to compete - his junior programs will eventually wear thin. Reynolds looks like he might be finished though one can hope for a miracle.

kresslia

Medalist
Agreed! As to the poster who was "jealous " of Canada's team I don't think there is that amount or a lot to be jealous. Although they have a gold in pairs and bronze in dance both teams are really vulnerable and in particular Duhamel and Radford could be beaten by a pair of Chinese teams as well as 2 or 3 Russian teams and not even podium (this assumes also they stay ahead of Savchenko's team. The ladies in Canada are at best bottom top ten unless Osmond is able to come back healthy, strong and continue developing as a skater. USA and Russia have far more depth. And we have no idea if Chan will return strongly - it sounds like he has given up even trying to compete with Hanyu technically (for now). Nguyen is a huge question mark as he will have to have a huge change over to a more mature look next year really to compete - his junior programs will eventually wear thin. Reynolds looks like he might be finished though one can hope for a miracle.
A little strange how every time I read a long, negative post re: Canada your name is attached to it.

W/P, D/R, and Chan are all competitors for the top of the podium. D/R won everything last season. W/P won everything except Worlds. Chan's record speaks for itself, love him or hate him. These are extremely successful competitors, World Champions, GPF Champions; and you write them off like they're throwaways.

sses1

On the Ice
A little strange how every time I read a long, negative post re: Canada your name is attached to it.

W/P, D/R, and Chan are all competitors for the top of the podium. D/R won everything last season. W/P won everything except Worlds. Chan's record speaks for itself, love him or hate him. These are extremely successful competitors, World Champions, GPF Champions; and you write them off like they're throwaways.

I would not be surprised If W/P are off the podium at Worlds this upcoming season, ala C/L. I don't think the judges care much for the older teams and are ready to prop up the younger ones. And with V/T back, plus all the other teams who are supposedly uping their technical content, D/R will have to fight for that top spot and I don't think the judges will be as kind to them this season as they were last. Chan if he comes back can still place on the podium provided he is still in top form but coming in first against Hanyu is a different story.

Regardless of how well or badly the ladies do internationally, this is still the deepest ladies field Canada's had in a while (ever?). Daleman and Chartrand are more or less even. I'd put Osmond ahead if only because she seems less prone to underrotating and has more charm than the other two. Mallet's behind all three of them, of course, but her smile's magnetic and I feel much more at ease watching her than I ever did watching Phaneuf. She's also quite a bit ahead of the rest of the Canadian ladies field. Maybe they're not quite world podium material, but there's at least 3-4 world class skaters and if nothing else, Canadians will be that much more fun to watch. So realistically, the ladies aren't gonna win anything big. But it's not all doom and gloom either.

Based on the videos, Osmond's been working on the loop and lutz. But with the change in BV for the toe and salchow, it might be more advantageous for her to stick with the 3T-3T and move it into the second half. Then she can do the flip and not have to risk the loop or the lutz. We can't know how consistent she is from the videos, but the jumps looked sound. I won't say that she's ready to challenge until after I've seen her in competition at least once, but I feel at least a little optimistic for another national title at this point.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Initially I wouldn't have said Osmond but after seeing those training videos, I'm impressed. She seems to have much more control on her jumps. Hoping for a stellar comeback season from her! I think she'll be back on top.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Based on the videos, Osmond's been working on the loop and lutz. But with the change in BV for the toe and salchow, it might be more advantageous for her to stick with the 3T-3T and move it into the second half. Then she can do the flip and not have to risk the loop or the lutz. We can't know how consistent she is from the videos, but the jumps looked sound. I won't say that she's ready to challenge until after I've seen her in competition at least once, but I feel at least a little optimistic for another national title at this point.

The entry to the 3Lz look good though? She's still got sometime left to work on the edge (if it's not already correct), her 3Lo also has steps going into it so she could also use that as a solo jump if she gets the jump consistent. Her 3F-3T looks very secure and I think it'll be a big point getter so she should keep it

edit: made a slo-mo gif of her 3Lz entrance that edge looks really good to me, it's just too bad the video is too LQ

Last edited:

lyndichee

Medalist

I agree, a 3T-3T second half, 3F and 2A should be good for the SP. 3Lz and 3L are still too risky, especially for someone who's been out of competition for so long.

LRK

Record Breaker
Methinks it will be Kaetlyn - I hope she'll have a great comeback.:) (And I like Gabrielle and Alaine as well.)

The lutz and loop do look good in the videos but again, it doesn't tell us how consistent they are. The loop is still a relatively new jump (and there may be a reason why it took her so long to learn it) and Osmond tended to flutz in the past. It's less risky to move the 3T-3T into the second half since she can do that combo really well (it's more or less a matter of endurance). The flip has always been pretty good for her and there's no reason to trade that for the lutz instead. The FS is a different matter of course. She'll want to put the loop in so she can get do a triple-triple combo. She can't afford to fall behind technically in the FS.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Yeah, it's nice that she's added the 3L to her repertoire. For the longest time I found it ironic that Lacoste could only do a 3L (albeit very well) and Osmond didn't attempt it.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
One caveat: you're seeing the jumps in isolation, not in context in a program, with choreography and connecting moves. Kaetlyn is scheduled for two competitions coming up soon: Skate Detroit (July 16-21) and Wild Rose (July 30-Aug 2) so we can see how her programs are developing.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
One caveat: you're seeing the jumps in isolation, not in context in a program, with choreography and connecting moves. Kaetlyn is scheduled for two competitions coming up soon: Skate Detroit (July 16-21) and Wild Rose (July 30-Aug 2) so we can see how her programs are developing.

Of course. But to see her do a 3F+3T with transitions leading up to it along with 3T+3T and 2A+3T and a solo 3Z (with proper edge) and 3L is very promising.