If You Had A Pacific Island, Who Would Be In Your Fantasy Dream Team? | Golden Skate

If You Had A Pacific Island, Who Would Be In Your Fantasy Dream Team?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I wonder if this thread might be a bit more interesting with a slight turn of phrase. Rather than implying 'your country' (which assumes the country you have citizenship in, as well as the existing skaters already there), maybe opening it up might yield more fascinating analysis, such as:

"If you were to start your own new country on an island in the Pacific, which current ladies skaters would you choose to represent this new country?" ;) Just a thought, and a way of wiping the slate clean and forming your own fantasy team from scratch.

I really like sabinfire’s Pacific Island Fantasy Dream Team idea. So, I decided to turn it into a thread!

Here is the remit:

This is a pure fantasy exercise, so we may as well go the full hog and assume that we have the full three international slots in each category!

At the same time, though, we have to be realistic and acknowledge that injuries, illness, and other things outside of the rink happen. So, the same people will not be able to compete at EVERY competition.

Consequently, to make a three-slot team viable, I feel that the island needs to have FIVE competitors.

Also, while the original idea was just for the Ladies category, I thought it would be fun if we selected skaters for all four categories.

So, having thought about it for a few days, here is the team representing Novyy Ulster. (It’ll soon become obvious why I’m using this mixture of languages… ;) :biggrin: )

Ladies

Liza Tuktamysheva: Of course I want Liza on my island!

Alena Leonova: She may be getting a bit long in the tooth in figure skating terms, but she’s still good enough to trouble the top international skaters. Unfortunately, Russia has too many good younger skaters to keep a space for Alena.

Anna Pogorilaya: Great skater, very beautiful, but too much competition for her to have a long-term future as a regular member of the Russian team. As is the case for all Russian Ladies skaters.

Julia Lipnitskaya: I just want her on the island so that I would be able to give her a big hug any time she gets upset! I don’t like seeing her so upset.

Wakaba Higuchi: Thinking ahead for the future! 😉 This kid is going to be big!

I would love to take Mao Asada to my island as well, but she is pretty much guaranteed international slots. I felt I would be better claiming as many Russian skaters as possible, as it is so difficult for them to get into the international team, and it will only get harder in the years to come as more Juniors switch to Seniors.

I have to admit, I was also very tempted to say Allie Rout. Apart from the fact that I like her, there is another, more appropriate reason – she is from the original New Ulster! 😉

Men

Evgeni Plushenko: All bow for The King!

Konstantin Menshov: Undoubtedly one of the top skaters, but just took too long to get to that position. Unfortunately, Russia does not have enough slots, and given his age, Kostya will probably be the one to miss out. But we want him! (Just so long as he brings his girlfriend along too… ;) :biggrin: )

Michal Březina: Consistently one of the best Man’s skaters in Europe. But it has been a long time since he last won an international competition. So, people don’t see him as a potential winner. But, I do. He is bound to be due another win soon.

Javier Fernandez: Not only is he a brilliant skater, he also has a great personality. Everybody loves him! And he’ll win lots!

Florent Amodio: He probably won’t win anything, but he’ll sure entertain the fans with his gala routines!

I started off using the same tactic for the Men, but then thought “No. I don’t want to take all the top Russian skaters. They need at least one if they are ever going to get the extra international slots back”. So, I let them hold onto Voronov, and just claimed the older guys! Instead, I picked some of my favourite skaters.

I left Yuzuru Hanyu out for 2 reasons. Firstly, I didn’t think it would be fair to claim him and Fernandez. And, after what happened at the Cup of China, I am not sure I would want to take the risk of having somebody on the team who doesn’t put his own health first.

Pairs

Tatiana Volosozhar / Maxim Trankov: They may be rusty to start with, but they will quickly be back to full strength!

Yuko Kavaguti / Alexander Smirnov: The last of the old guard. We need to keep them on the circuit so that we don’t lose completely that beautiful style of skating.

Peng Cheng / Zhang Hao: They may have a limited future, due to the big age difference. But this is a partnership full of talent. A worthy successor to the Zhang Dan / Zhang Hao partnership. (Hope Dan is keeping well, by the way!)

Valentina Marchei / Ondřej Hotárek: The most improved couple of the season. For them to go from a complete shambles in the Warsaw Cup to 4[SUP]th[/SUP] in Europeans in the space of 2 months is remarkable. And they can only get better! Given how things ended between Ondřej and Stefania Berton, I do have my concerns about taking him on. But, anything to get the lovely Miss Marchei onto my island!

Lubov Iliushechkina / Dylan Moscovitch: Like Vale and Ondřej, this was another promising new partnership, made up of two very experienced skaters, that really took the world by storm last season. Dylan may be getting on a bit, but he is still at the top of his game. And Lubov is doing a great job at reminding us of just why she is a former Junior World Champion.

With Pairs, I just decided to just keep it simple, and picked some of my favourites.

Dance

Anna Cappellini / Luca Lanotte: This season may have seemed disappointing for them, seeing as they didn’t win any international gold medals. But they were still in the top 4 of every competition they competed in! And it is this consistency that we need. Oh, and Anna is hot!

Gabriella Papadakis / Guillaume Cizeron: I would have taken them even if they hadn’t had the season they have just had! So much talent! And so much potential to get even better! Oh, and Gabriella is hot!

Sara Hurtado / Adria Diaz: Rapidly becoming one of the top Dance couples in Europe, yet still under the radar for most people! Oh, and Sara is hot!

Elena Ilinykh / Ruslan Zhiganshin: They may only have been together one season, but this couple have already established themselves as real podium contenders for international honours. Oh, and Elena is hot!

Natalia Kaliszek / Maksim Spodirev: Definitely a couple to watch for the future. So I want to get in there early and get them on the island now! Oh, and Natalia is hot!

With Dance, rather than going for couples that are currently regular podium contenders, I decided to go for couples that have a lot of potential for the future. And, strange as it may seem, I have included the European and World Champions in that category!

However, I made one exception to that rule with Anna Cappellini and Luca Lanotte. Well, apart from everything else, I didn’t think it would be fair for Ondřej Hotárek to move to an island without his wife so soon after they got married!

So, there you have it. My fantasy dream team. I have taken different approaches in each category, but overall, I feel that the skaters I have selected would make Novyy Ulster a very strong force in the figure skating world.

What skaters would you select to make up your figure skating team if you had your own Pacific Island nation?

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I really like sabinfire’s Pacific Island Fantasy Dream Team idea. So, I decided to turn it into a thread!

Here is the remit:

This is a pure fantasy exercise, so we may as well go the full hog and assume that we have the full three international slots in each category!

At the same time, though, we have to be realistic and acknowledge that injuries, illness, and other things outside of the rink happen. So, the same people will not be able to compete at EVERY competition.

Consequently, to make a three-slot team viable, I feel that the island needs to have FIVE competitors.

Also, while the original idea was just for the Ladies category, I thought it would be fun if we selected skaters for all four categories.

So, having thought about it for a few days, here is the team representing Novyy Ulster. (It’ll soon become obvious why I’m using this mixture of languages… ;) :biggrin: )

Ladies

Liza Tuktamysheva: Of course I want Liza on my island!

Alena Leonova: She may be getting a bit long in the tooth in figure skating terms, but she’s still good enough to trouble the top international skaters. Unfortunately, Russia has too many good younger skaters to keep a space for Alena.

Anna Pogorilaya: Great skater, very beautiful, but too much competition for her to have a long-term future as a regular member of the Russian team. As is the case for all Russian Ladies skaters.

Julia Lipnitskaya: I just want her on the island so that I would be able to give her a big hug any time she gets upset! I don’t like seeing her so upset.

Wakaba Higuchi: Thinking ahead for the future! This kid is going to be big!

I would love to take Mao Asada to my island as well, but she is pretty much guaranteed international slots. I felt I would be better claiming as many Russian skaters as possible, as it is so difficult for them to get into the international team, and it will only get harder in the years to come as more Juniors switch to Seniors.

I have to admit, I was also very tempted to say Allie Rout. Apart from the fact that I like her, there is another, more appropriate reason – she is from the original New Ulster!

Men

Evgeni Plushenko: All bow for The King!

Konstantin Menshov: Undoubtedly one of the top skaters, but just took too long to get to that position. Unfortunately, Russia does not have enough slots, and given his age, Kostya will probably be the one to miss out. But we want him! (Just so long as he brings his girlfriend along too… ;) :biggrin: )

Michal Březina: Consistently one of the best Man’s skaters in Europe. But it has been a long time since he last won an international competition. So, people don’t see him as a potential winner. But, I do. He is bound to be due another win soon.

Javier Fernandez: Not only is he a brilliant skater, he also has a great personality. Everybody loves him! And he’ll win lots!

Florent Amodio: He probably won’t win anything, but he’ll sure entertain the fans with his gala routines!

I started off using the same tactic for the Men, but then thought “No. I don’t want to take all the top Russian skaters. They need at least one if they are ever going to get the extra international slots back”. So, I let them hold onto Voronov, and just claimed the older guys! Instead, I picked some of my favourite skaters.

I left Yuzuru Hanyu out for 2 reasons. Firstly, I didn’t think it would be fair to claim him and Fernandez. And, after what happened at the Cup of China, I am not sure I would want to take the risk of having somebody on the team who doesn’t put his own health first.

Pairs

Tatiana Volosozhar / Maxim Trankov: They may be rusty to start with, but they will quickly be back to full strength!

Yuko Kavaguti / Alexander Smirnov: The last of the old guard. We need to keep them on the circuit so that we don’t lose completely that beautiful style of skating.

Peng Cheng / Zhang Hao: They may have a limited future, due to the big age difference. But this is a partnership full of talent. A worthy successor to the Zhang Dan / Zhang Hao partnership. (Hope Dan is keeping well, by the way!)

Valentina Marchei / Ondřej Hotárek: The most improved couple of the season. For them to go from a complete shambles in the Warsaw Cup to 4[SUP]th[/SUP] in Europeans in the space of 2 months is remarkable. And they can only get better! Given how things ended between Ondřej and Stefania Berton, I do have my concerns about taking him on. But, anything to get the lovely Miss Marchei onto my island!

Lubov Iliushechkina / Dylan Moscovitch: Like Vale and Ondřej, this was another promising new partnership, made up of two very experienced skaters, that really took the world by storm last season. Dylan may be getting on a bit, but he is still at the top of his game. And Lubov is doing a great job at reminding us of just why she is a former Junior World Champion.

With Pairs, I just decided to just keep it simple, and picked some of my favourites.

Dance

Anna Cappellini / Luca Lanotte: This season may have seemed disappointing for them, seeing as they didn’t win any international gold medals. But they were still in the top 4 of every competition they competed in! And it is this consistency that we need. Oh, and Anna is hot!

Gabriella Papadakis / Guillaume Cizeron: I would have taken them even if they hadn’t had the season they have just had! So much talent! And so much potential to get even better! Oh, and Gabriella is hot!

Sara Hurtado / Adria Diaz: Rapidly becoming one of the top Dance couples in Europe, yet still under the radar for most people! Oh, and Sara is hot!

Elena Ilinykh / Ruslan Zhiganshin: They may only have been together one season, but this couple have already established themselves as real podium contenders for international honours. Oh, and Elena is hot!

Natalia Kaliszek / Maksim Spodirev: Definitely a couple to watch for the future. So I want to get in there early and get them on the island now! Oh, and Natalia is hot!

With Dance, rather than going for couples that are currently regular podium contenders, I decided to go for couples that have a lot of potential for the future. And, strange as it may seem, I have included the European and World Champions in that category!

However, I made one exception to that rule with Anna Cappellini and Luca Lanotte. Well, apart from everything else, I didn’t think it would be fair for Ondřej Hotárek to move to an island without his wife so soon after they got married!

So, there you have it. My fantasy dream team. I have taken different approaches in each category, but overall, I feel that the skaters I have selected would make Novyy Ulster a very strong force in the figure skating world.

What skaters would you select to make up your figure skating team if you had your own Pacific Island nation?

CaroLiza_fan

Before all you know what breaks loose - you are talking current skaters on their nation's team not past skaters? Otherwise you are open up Pandora's box. (Plushy as scarey as it may seem and unrealistic is still on the Russian team and seen as a current competitive skater. Michelle Kwan not.)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Before all you know what breaks loose - you are talking current skaters on their nation's team not past skaters? Otherwise you are open up Pandora's box. (Plushy as scarey as it may seem and unrealistic is still on the Russian team and seen as a current competitive skater. Michelle Kwan not.)

sabinfire said current skaters when he originally made the suggestion, so I am keeping it to current skaters as well.

And that is exactly why I put Plushy in my list! ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Great idea to give my idea it's own thread! ;)

Curious why this is in Le Café though? Seems like it would receive more responses in The Edge. Sure, the concept is a bit of a fantasy originating out of boredom (as are many other threads in The Edge during the off-season), but still seems figure skating-related at least...

Layback11

Record Breaker
Ooh, fun!

About my island

Isla de Tiburon (Shark Island) is a formerly-uninhabited pacific island claimed by me for the sole use of training my favorite skaters in a relaxed, positive but competitive environment in which they will thrive, learning from each other and passing their own unique skill sets on to their training mates. It includes all the services a skater could need, from choreography to free food, and the opportunity to form a team that will take on the world...

And for WTT purposes, their colors are turquoise and yellow. ;)

LADIES

Gracie Gold: Gracie is perf. You will never convince me that she isn't. JK, nobody is, but Gracie's pretty darn close...plus, she has heaps of potential and the relaxing training atmosphere of the island will help her get the consistency she needs to use it. And in a rink packed with teens, she brings maturity (compared to the teenagers...) to the table.

Yulia's Lipnitskaya: those...spins...*drools* I simply cannot resist! Her spins will no doubt inspire her teammates to improve their own. And who knows? Maybe the one-for-all, all-for-one nature of the island life will help her with her, um, sportsmanship issues! And her new coaches will become the parent figures she needs, taking off some of the pressure of being forced to "take the lead"...and she's got the team to back her up when she gets upset after bad performances. ;)

Elena Radionova: Elena has it (almost) all: pretty solid jumps, even if they aren't technically perfect, great spins (that twirly Biellman!), and excellent performance quality. Our coaching staff will help her with her arm flailing, and she will pass her infectious joy on to her training partners!

Zijun Li: Zijun will get a chance to learn from the pros, work on her consistency and 3-3, and pass her gift of perfect programs and costumes on to the rest of the Island Crew!

Mao Asada: Mao is truly a legend, and for good reason: aside from her 3A (which is obviously a huge deal), she's probably the best model of artistic maturity in the current field. She can whip the other girls' 2As into shape-maybe even inspire them to try 3As!-and they can inspire her to attempt more 3-3s!

Alternate: Mariah Bell: I almost don't want to choose Mariah because she would very likely be smashed to bits by the rest of the field, but I just couldn't leave her off. So she's our in-case-of-injury alternate!
Dance

Shibs: I probably say this way too much, but I dearly love these people...They have probably the best twizzles in the current field and good skating skills, among other things. They bring stronger technical content than almost anyone else right now, IMHO. And their PCS can be improved pretty easily.

Weaver/Poje: because they simply cannot lose to P/C. Ever. Again.

Hawayek/Baker: VERY close to the Shibs as fave current dance team. All their free dances are infused with a wonderful magical something and I WANT ALL THE FREE DANCES (past, present and future!!!)!!! *Grabby hands*

Please excuse my fangirl rants :laugh:

Ilinykh/Zhiganshin: I love Elena. I was LIVID when her and Nikita broke up. Now I'm not. Ruslena > Eleta! I hope they can continue their momentum!

Fournier-Beaudry/Sorensen: they're not really contenders yet, but they're a lovely team and I'm willing to take a gamble on them. I really do think they have something special.

PAIRS

V/T: no words need to be said. Also, I can't spell Tatiana's last name.
scimeca/Knierim: the best hope for American pairs gets relocated and the rest of the Island Crew suddenly starts attempting 4Twists. :laugh2:
Denney/Frazier: a team I really have a soft spot for, for reasons unexplainable. I refuse to let their bad worlds FS change my mind, and the potential is nearly unlimited. There is also a slight possibility I ship them...a little...
Stolbova/Klimov: anyone who uses Notre Dame de Paris gets my vote...seriously, that FS is, like, the entire reason I love them. And they will use more of my favorite music. They must. ;)
Sui/Han: so much awesome.

HONORABLE MENTIONS WHO WERE ONLY LEFT OUT BECAUSE THEY'D BE DESTROYED

Aaron/Settlage: I just love them. Watching them is like watching ballet with skates on. But their technical content is just not enough to hold up in that field. So if the Island Crew was ever in need of an alternate, they're the ones I would call.

I really don't know for the men.

Last edited:

Layback11

Record Breaker

Curious why this is in Le Café though? Seems like it would receive more responses in The Edge. Sure, the concept is a bit of a fantasy originating out of boredom (as are many other threads in The Edge during the off-season), but still seems figure skating-related at least...
I thought it was originally in The Edge...maybe the mods moved it?

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker

I couldn't say -- I haven't been online much today to notice.

This is a place for "chat non-related to the sport of figure skating", but I suppose there are limits to one's imagination in the realities of figure skating. ;)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Ooh, fun!

About my island

Isla de Tiburon (Shark Island) is a formerly-uninhabited pacific island claimed by me for the sole use of training my favorite skaters in a relaxed, positive but competitive environment in which they will thrive, learning from each other and passing their own unique skill sets on to their training mates. It includes all the services a skater could need, from choreography to free food, and the opportunity to form a team that will take on the world...

And for WTT purposes, their colors are turquoise and yellow. ;)

Oooh!!! And I thought I was doing well just coming up with a name for my island!

Great idea doing a detailed description of your island. I wish I had thought of that!

By the way, my island's colours would be red, white and yellow, as these are the colours that make up both the Ulster Fleg and the Province Of Ulster Fleg ("Flag" deliberately spelt wrong, to reflect the way we pronounce the word here!)

I did originally post this thread in The Edge.

And when I came back an hour later, it was in Le Café. :disapp:

This is a place for "chat non-related to the sport of figure skating", but I suppose there are limits to one's imagination in the realities of figure skating. ;)

I couldn't agree more! This thread may just be us talking nonsense, but it is still figure skating nonsense.

But, this has happened before with threads that have a figure skating theme, but are not strictly figure skating news. The most recent example, of course, is Layback11's dream thread.

The thing I find ironic is that the thread that this was born out of is (created by koatcue) has been kept in The Edge.

And on that note, may I take this opportunity to thank both koatcue and sabinfire for the inspiration for this thread!

CaroLiza_fan

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
The thing I find ironic is that the thread that this was born out of is (created by koatcue) has been kept in The Edge.

And on that note, may I take this opportunity to thank both koatcue and sabinfire for the inspiration for this thread!

What do you think the criteria is between the two threads, yours and koatcue? There's some fine line there which determines whether it's Edge-worthy, or determined that it must be banished to Le Café, to the middle of the Pacific. :biggrin:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... I did originally post this thread in The Edge.

And when I came back an hour later, it was in Le Café. :disapp:

I couldn't agree more! This thread may just be us talking nonsense, but it is still figure skating nonsense.

But, this has happened before with threads that have a figure skating theme, but are not strictly figure skating news. The most recent example, of course, is Layback11's dream thread.

The thing I find ironic is that the thread that this was born out of is (created by koatcue) has been kept in The Edge....

What do you think the criteria is between the two threads, yours and koatcue? There's some fine line there which determines whether it's Edge-worthy, or determined that it must be banished to Le Café, to the middle of the Pacific. :biggrin:

Agree that the line between what is and is not Edge-worthy sometimes is not apparent to me.
But the reason for my post is not to question the mods on that subject.

What I am curious about is the electronic trail that remains -- but only in some cases -- when a thread is moved from one subforum to another.
Sometimes the thread remains listed in the original subforum, with the link there automatically redirecting to the thread residing in its new subforum.
It puzzles me that in other cases (such as CL_fan's thread here), no trace whatsoever of the thread remains in the original subforum.
One of life's mysteries :laugh:.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
What I am curious about is the electronic trail that remains -- but only in some cases -- when a thread is moved from one subforum to another.
Sometimes the thread remains listed in the original subforum, with the link there automatically redirecting to the thread residing in its new subforum.
It puzzles me that in other cases (such as CL_fan's thread here), no trace whatsoever of the thread remains in the original subforum.
One of life's mysteries :laugh:.

It's been over 10 years since I had Admin access to a major messaging board using vBulletin, but I believe there is an option for mods/admins, when moving a thread around, to choose whether to leave a redirect or not. As for why this thread didn't receive one, I cannot say... maybe it was moved so quickly that few people had a chance to realise it was moved and would not question the new location? Also, it tends to be best practice to leave a redirect when moving a thread in a situation like this, so the OP doesn't think their topic mysteriously disappeared, and decide to re-post it again.

I wanted to make a Bermuda Triangle joke here, but unfortunately that's the Atlantic, not Pacific. ;)