2015 Glacier Falls Summer Classic, July 30-Aug. 2, Anaheim, CA | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2015 Glacier Falls Summer Classic, July 30-Aug. 2, Anaheim, CA

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Not really convinced by Gracie: her combo and flip looked kind of stiff, in the attempt to control her power they're blocking her I'm afraid. Under-rotating and two-footing is just the opposite of what she should be doing :hopelessness: I'd much rather see her stepping out of big, beautiful Sotnikova-like jumps (with a bit more polish, yes, we all agree on that)...

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I'm just pretending that nothing is happening right now and the season is still 2 months away from beginning.

I don't wanna know how the sausage is made.

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I did think a few of the beginning spins looked rather slow and un-Jason like, but no credit for the final spin? I'm glad I've never tried to figure out judging and have other fans to tell me what's what:laugh2:

But did anyone else get dizzy watching this? No wonder the poor guy is tired, this is four minutes of every move in the book, and some that aren't in the book. Hope it comes together!

And I'm sure the costume will be streamlined, much like the "too original" ruffled Prince outfit. Now if we can just keep the sequin gun out of Rohene's hands;)

I wonder if the move he does at 2:12 was counted as a spin instead of an interesting bit of choreography and that's why the final spin wasn't counted? :confused:

On the plus side, he did receive the highest marks in transitions and choreography.

I'm looking forward to seeing an updated version of his free skate.

Go Jason! :cheer2:

stella luna

Final Flight
Thanks for posting. Great music, fantastic program!

He has said he is practicing both sal and toe (though I am starting to join the "try a 4F" camp). He did a 2S in the skeleton version and I think a 2S in at least one of the SPs at Broadmoor open so that is why I was wondering if he was going for the 4S in the short. I wonder if that was the plan early on but has been scaled back.

EDIT: Also

Polina Fan Cam

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I wonder if the move he does at 2:12 was counted as a spin instead of an interesting bit of choreography and that's why the final spin wasn't counted? :confused:

On the plus side, he did receive the highest marks in transitions and choreography.

I'm looking forward to seeing an updated version of his free skate.

Go Jason! :cheer2:

I really think something like that happened. Somehow something he did checked a box as a level 1 spin that was not supposed to. I would expect for Jason to get a level 1 spin it would have a pretty obvious error otherwise. I guess this is part of what these comps are for, to figure out how to keep TPTB happy in these things.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Not going to judge Jason's jumps at this point in the season.

That is some amazingly intricate choreography, super fun, too. I like it much more than Juke. Obligatory Jason costume complaint: that top needs a lot of tailoring.

I'm sure--I hope!--that's an interim costume. He looks like a banquet waiter!

It's a nice contrast to the long. I have faith he'll get the quad eventually.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I love these early season peeks. I've only watched Polina and Gracie so far...

Polina: Now that is a woman skating out there. You can tell she's filled out a little over the summer and I love it. She's out of that awkward in-between stage of puberty. Now she has this very regal and striking presence on the ice a la Carolina Kostner. The program is very nice. There are some moments in there, especially the twizzle transition into the faster music. More than anything I'm just impressed with her presentation. She looks mature and commanding; combine that with clean skating and she should be able to move up this season.

Gracie: I definitely see the potential here. I don't quite like this program yet, but I don't dislike it either. I was expecting something a bit more powerful and fiery so I can admit I'm a little disappointed with it. It reminds of Yu-Na's tango FS from Sochi; a quiet more understated tango. I prefer the Latin programs to be all about the fire and va-voom! They just seem to stand out more. Still, it's a solid program for Gracie and I think as she gets used to it, she'll be able to bring more out of it. I liked the moves out of the 2A, the footwork had some nice moments and I love the ending. Overall, it looks promising but she's going to have to bring that tango fierceness and attitude. The success of this program is going to depend on her ability to really sell it.

A.H.Black

Final Flight
I watched Nathan Chen's short program with enjoyment. It looked good but still has room for improvement throughout the season.

- I hope someday Nathan finds a way to make his axel more effective. He's stalking it. To me it looks a lot like Timothy Goebel's before Frank Carroll changed his entrance (and fixed it).

- The beginning of the step sequence has a lot of snap. I hope the end of the step sequence is just as effective by the end of the season.

- Nathan usually gets level 4's on his spins but that last spin needs some work to get level 4's at Nationals or Jr. Worlds.

Now to be a bit catty - I hope neither Polina nor Gracie plans to use their current costumes for the rest of the season. They aren't terrible, they just aren't great.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm sure--I hope!--that's an interim costume. He looks like a banquet waiter!

It's a nice contrast to the long. I have faith he'll get the quad eventually.

Haha, I agree. I'm sure it will get some tailoring, but Im hoping there won't be too much emblishedment.

Jason is doing the typical Jason Brown season progression. Every season, he has sort of a rough start which sends everyone into panic or at best count him out for later in the season, then he sort of treads water until he peaks at the major comps and reach some major goal.

In 2012-2013, he was beat by an upstart Boyang Jin at his first JGP, was struggling with his 3A all season long, failed to medal at JGPF, fell on his 3a twice at nationals...then won silver at junior words and won the FS a 2 3A program that was a junior man record for a season and a half.

2013-2014 -- he struggled at the FS at skate America and failed to medal while his two team USA teammates did, he did better at TEB.....and you all know what happened, he won silver at Nationals and got a spot to Sochi, went viral...

2014-2015 --- had a sluggish GP, didn't make GP final, but then won nationals, then got 4th at worlds, and 2nd at WTT with the 4th highest SB score...

Yes as a fan it was not fun to see him struggle, but better to do that now than later on in the season when it counts...

Now having watched the other programs, Polina wins with textbook jumps and edges and flow, but I found that Courtney Hicks and Mariah Bell was my faves as far as performances go. Hicks had some raw power that she really incorporated nicely. And her jumps-- huge! Also love to see her version of thr Cassar spread eagle! Mariah sold her program well despite struggles stamina wise.

Gracie had a solid performance, but she was lacking compared to Polina as far as choreography and didn't really sell me on her performance ability. She has the best speed and ice coverage though.

I agree Karen was overpowered by the music, but I don't think its a lost cause for her..there were some moments where I felt she worked it and think it could be pretty powerful later in the season.

Last edited:

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Sorry, i am a bit confused. When is men's FS scheduled? Did they skate or they will later?I tried the official website with no success.

Layback11

Record Breaker
Watched all the ladies SPs from Twitter.

Courtney: BEAUTIFUL jumps, all hit cleanly. Gorgeous from a technical standpoint. From an artistic standpoint, not my favorite.

Karen: the music a little big for her right now, but it has the potential to be amazing! That spiral!!!! 3-3 very UR. The axel fall looked really painful and she didn't do a biellman on her ending layback, so I suspect it threw her off a little.

Mariah: not clean, but I admire the 3-3 attempt, and that footwork section was :love: :cheer: :dance:! Didn't see the costume very well (watched on iPhone) but it was very sparkly and I liked it.

Polina: WOW is all I have to say! She's past her awkwardness now, and she skates like a ballerina (Arm choreography on point!). I can't wait to see what she does with this-completely different Polina than what we saw last year.

Gracie: really sketchy 3T on the combo. 2A is SOOO much better! I liked the Charlotte entry. Footwork section was good. It's more of an elegant, mature tango than the sassy tango I was expecting, which will be an interesting contrast to Ashley's samba. Spins good, as always. Didn't see any obvious edge issues on the flip, although I'm bad at spotting that. I like the costume (the back with the straps and the red flowers were fabulous), but the skirt is way too long...it's messing with her lines in the layback and biellman, and that's a shame because she has a great one. But it has a lot of potential!

Also, poor Amber-9th place?!? :cry:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Watched all the ladies SPs from Twitter.

Courtney: BEAUTIFUL jumps, all hit cleanly. Gorgeous from a technical standpoint. From an artistic standpoint, not my favorite.

Karen: the music a little big for her right now, but it has the potential to be amazing! That spiral!!!! 3-3 very UR. The axel fall looked really painful and she didn't do a biellman on her ending layback, so I suspect it threw her off a little.

Mariah: not clean, but I admire the 3-3 attempt, and that footwork section was :love: :cheer: :dance:! Didn't see the costume very well (watched on iPhone) but it was very sparkly and I liked it.

Polina: WOW is all I have to say! She's past her awkwardness now, and she skates like a ballerina (Arm choreography on point!). I can't wait to see what she does with this-completely different Polina than what we saw last year.

Gracie: really sketchy 3T on the combo. 2A is SOOO much better! I liked the Charlotte entry. Footwork section was good. It's more of an elegant, mature tango than the sassy tango I was expecting, which will be an interesting contrast to Ashley's samba. Spins good, as always. Didn't see any obvious edge issues on the flip, although I'm bad at spotting that. I like the costume (the back with the straps and the red flowers were fabulous), but the skirt is way too long...it's messing with her lines in the layback and biellman, and that's a shame because she has a great one. But it has a lot of potential!

Also, poor Amber-9th place?!? :cry:

I agree. A shorter skirt would look better. Now the length of the skirt would work for ice dancing.

Layback11

Record Breaker
I agree. A shorter skirt would look better. Now the length of the skirt would work for ice dancing.

I actually did a quick sketch of what I think would work better. I kept the long sleeves, open back and flower decals, but I changed the skirt and neck. It has a sweetheart neckline with illusion and a two-layer red and black skirt of more appropriate length. I kind of hope she doesn't keep her current one, or at least chops off some of the skirt.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I disagree, I love Gracie's long skirt, she plays with it a little in the choreo, also, when she spins especially lay-back biellmann spin reminds me of Yuna's beautiful moonlight sonata lay-back spin with long skirt. I hope somebody will GIF that. Also, a Tango dress was suppose to be a long dress like that.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Sabrina the Senior Mens FS is tonight at 5:16 Pacific time. The Senior Ladies start at 7:15 p.m. Pacific tonight.
Sorry, i am a bit confused. When is men's FS scheduled? Did they skate or they will later?I tried the official website with no success.