And the American Idol Is (spoiler)............. | Page 2 | Golden Skate

And the American Idol Is (spoiler).............

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Jasmine would be a good recording artist... but I don't think she'd do well as a "live" artist... if you know what I mean???

George ruled all on the outside stage! :)

Ryan's gonna be in Anchorage! :D

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Toni, I know exactly what you mean. I do get the feeling sometimes that some of these people are chosen (by the judges) based upon how good they might actually sound in a studio as opposed to live. "Well, she's kind of pitchy" "Yeah, but just think what we can do with her voice in the studio.":rolleye:

guinevere

Final Flight
Kara Bear said:
I also did not like how during the group number, they ended wth the three divas in the middle singing. I felt the end should have been focusing on Diana and Fantasia.
I noticed that too - but I didn't mind, because that should have been the final 3 :D :D :D

guinevere

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
guinevere said:
I noticed that too - but I didn't mind, because that should have been the final 3 :D :D :D

guinevere

Perhaps, but did we really need any reminders of what could have been? I thought it was kind of rude to Diana and Jasmine.

(I never was much of a Jennifer fan, tho -- she's got a voice, she's got talent, but if I want to hear opera, I'll watch PBS...)

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I agree with you Toni about Justin being a gracious runner-up! That was great! And as soon as I heard Anchorage...I of course thought of you! :) Too bad you say you can't sing...it would've been fun to have someone to root for from the boards! LOL!

Anyway, congrats to Fantasia! She deserved it! I'm not her biggest fan, but I have to admit she made me a little teary for her.

Tamyra is still my favorite Idol, but yeah, that Star-Spangled Banner wasn't too good. :(

Kara Bear

Final Flight
JonnyCoop said:
Perhaps, but did we really need any reminders of what could have been? I thought it was kind of rude to Diana and Jasmine.

Thats exactly what I thought...it was just rude.

JonnyCoop said:
Perhaps -- this was inspired by the opening line of Rgirl's post -- Fantasia and Randy Jackson can do a yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah type duet on her CD.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: JohnnyCoop, you're a gennius! That idea is so perfect, but maybe being in a crappy mood gave you the right mindset to think of what the rest of us missed. If the producers want to break into the hip-hop market, they can use Fantasia and Randy's distinctly different versions of "yeah" as the riff.

....I thought the "Salute to the Season" production number was really cheesy -- looked like a really bad Up With People production. (Maybe it was the costuming) And I swear that JPL and Matt Rogers were drunk or something.
I heard Simon being interviewed on some show and his description for the group number was, "That was one of the cheesiest things I've ever seen." I was just afraid that for Quentin Tarantino they'd start singing something from "Pulp Fiction," like, "Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon." Although "Flowers on the Wall" might have made an ironic duet between JPL and JS. Too bad they couldn't get Dick Dale and His Del Tones to reprise "Misirlou" or The Lively Ones to do "Surf Rider," since they're both instrumentals and everybody could have just done the Bobo.

Wasn't Ruben supposed to be on a diet at some point or something? It's no wonder he can't get through an entire concert. That is just not healthy. I don't think he's going to be with us very much longer if he doesn't do something about that.
Ruben's got an overweight family, what I've seen of it, so the guy seems to be battling both genetics and a true epidemic of obesity in this country. There also seems to be a lot of love in Ruben's family, so I think they support him, but probably don't realize just how much danger he (and his brother) are in because they're so young. Plus touring like Ruben does usually tends to make performers gain weight. I recently saw an interview with Carny Wilson, who lost over 100 pounds after stomach banding surgery. She said that even with the surgery, it's still a struggle every single day and that she's always hungry. I just feel for anybody with a weight problem because after over 50 years of medical research into diet and exercise to lose weight, a permanent reduction of more than 10% of one's body weight is achieved by less than 5% who attempt it, and that includes people who've had stomach banding surgery. Ruben's singing may not my cup of tea, but certainly I want to see him healthy, happy, and having a great career. IMO, Ruben is one of many "double whammies" (genetics and being born at this particular time in this particular country), but I don't even want to get started on this topic except to say I feel for Ruben and his family.

Fantasia's final outfit -- the black suit -- looked fantastic on her. She was stylin', best outfit she's worn all season except for maybe the red dress.
Yeah (yeah, yeah), she looks good in that outfit. She wore it once before early in the season and I thought, "Man, that's a great look on her! A dark pinstripe suit on a female black soul singer. Wall Street Meets Motown--I love it!"

Diana was a very worthy runner-up and I can see her having quite a career herself. She's got some stuff to iron out vocally, but nothing that can't be fixed.
ITA and I think she really did listen to the judges' criticisms--for the most part. I had to laugh when she tried to argue with Simon "I really have climbed mountains and swum oceans!"--it was the last show and I think both Diana and Fantasia were running on fumes. But I think she made great strides from her early "just sing big and loud" renditions to many of her late season songs that had real color and at least as much depth as a 16-year-old could give.

BTW, on the E! AI Finale aftershow (the AI Finale is getting to be like the Oscars--sheesh!), they said Diana went into her dressing room crying and stayed in there alone with her mother for about an hour, but then came back perky and smiling. I saw nothing inappropriate about her behavior after Fantasia won at all. As for talking to Ryan, for all we know she may have just been asking him, "What should I do? Stay onstage or go now?" As I said before, I found Diana and Fantasia's support for each other to be very genuine and I like their playful rivalry and sense of humor, too.

Guinivere,
I'm so glad you watched the final show and results show so we could get "The Guin Spin.":) I love the term "bootees." :laugh: And about Jasmine trying to get the crowd to sing along with "Midnight Train to Georgia," ITA. A real "oucher."

I think I said this in another post, but about Diana sounding so much better than last night, at least Diana said she had real problems finding her "sweet spot" to hear the orchestra with the much larger stage and arena of the Kodak Theatre. Besides being more relaxed, obviously both Diana and Fantasia also had more time to rehearse in the Kodak Theatre and get used to its accoustics.

Originally posted by Kara Bear As soon as Diana sang "I believe" on her last solo song, I knew Fantasia had won. I knew the show would end with the winner singing the AI single. Diana must have figured that out.
I thought that, too--at least for a moment--but I was so sure Diana was going to win after E! reported that Diana had won six out of the last seven shows, with Fantasia winning one (of course AI denied it and of course E!'s source could have been worthless), that my neighbors and I just kept making (bad) jokes to prepare ourselves to be disappointed.

Results night my two neighbors and I were three 40-something squealing kids, but Tuesday Fantasia had me bawling too. Also, ITA about Amy Adams. I wonder if it was the pink hair that did her in? She sounded GREAT!

TONI! If AI is coming to Anchorage for auditions, maybe that will increase the chances that the AI-4 tour or, hopefully for you, Clay will play Anchorage. Get a hold of Ryan and LOBBY! Concert by Clay in Anchorage, with John Stevens as his opening act! And hopefully a couple of Alaskans will make it to the final 12. Good luck!

BTW, I just noticed that even though auditions were held in Atlanta, which is where Fantasia auditioned--having to borrow $20 from her grandmother to do so--and Diana is from just outside of there, she auditioned in Hawaii. Anybody know why? (Hmm...maybe Diana really did swim an ocean and climb mountains to get from Snellville, Georgia to Hawaii.)

FINAL NUMBERS AND TIDBITS: According to "Inside Edition" there were 65 million votes and Fantasia won by 1.3 million, which is a margin of 2%. "Inside Edition" also reported that Fantasia dropped out of high school her junior year and then got pregnant. :confused: If that's true, Fantasia really IS different. Except, sadly, she's like all too many women in that her daughter's father beat Fantasia, including punching her in the jaw and sending her to the hospital. He's been out of her life since shortly after Zion's birth, fortunately. I bet she could do mean versions of "Enough is Enough" and "I Will Survive."

Fantasia also won a car from, big surprise, Ford, which she cannot drive it because she's never had a driver's license. But in one interview she said she's getting her license "right now."

My new favorite quote: In an interview, Fantasia was asked what her 2-year-old daughter thought of all her crying. As only a mother can do her 2-year-old's voice, Fantasia said Zion looked at her and said, "Mommy, what's WRONG?"

Here's hoping that a whole lot more goes right in their lives from now on. And good luck to Diana, too.
Rgirl

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I saw on one of the "enternewsment" shows yesterday that Diana was a runner up on another one of the talent search kind of shows and was also Miss Teen Georga.

I wondered the same thing about her auditioning in Hawaii. Maybe she has family there or she thought it might be easier to make the cut in Hawaii than Atlanta???

I think the whole pageant/talent search type thing is a much bigger deal for GRITS {Girls Raised In The South) guys too.

One thing about the whole Motown phenomenon that I always wondered about was how in the world did all of these tqlented people all end up in Detroit? Especially since a lot of them were there before Gordy started Motown. Turns out a lot of them came from the south, Mississippi especially. The auto industry attracted a lot of folks too.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
TONI! If AI is coming to Anchorage for auditions, maybe that will increase the chances that the AI-4 tour or, hopefully for you, Clay will play Anchorage. Get a hold of Ryan and LOBBY! Concert by Clay in Anchorage, with John Stevens as his opening act! And hopefully a couple of Alaskans will make it to the final 12. Good luck!

LOL! that'd be a great concert! :)

as for Diana... she just happened to be vacationing in Hawaii when they came... she said this in an interview way early on... she was bummed because she wouldn't be in Atlanta to audition when out of the blue Hawaii got chosen for an audition spot.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Rgirl --

Well, I have you to thank for coming up with the idea for the Fantasia/Randy duet!! For some reason, when I read your post and saw that YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH in capital letters, my "inner reading voice" just automatically read it to me in the voice of Randy Jackson!! It was the weirdest thing....:)