And the American Idol Is (spoiler)............. | Golden Skate

And the American Idol Is (spoiler).............

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker

SPOILER...the new American Idol is.....................

FANTASIA

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Thanks Piel........Now that I know, I'm off to watch three plus hours of "Return of the King" and hope that they bring "Star Search" and "Fame" back on for another season.......:\ 42

mike79

On the Ice
I'm so happy for Fantasia. You could tell that she was really touched from winning this competition.

I must say that Diana was a very gracious runner-up. It must have been so hard to put a brave face on after hearing that she hadn't won.

I can easily see Fantasia enjoying huge success. I hope we hear her music for years to come.

Regarding the overall show tonight I found it better than I expected it to be. Tamyra didn't do to well with the National Anthem but I think she was extremely nervous.

Ruben sounded very good, although his song was pretty lame.

Diana sounded much better tonight than last night. I think that she felt much more relaxed tonight.

Fantasia was her usual emotional, spectacular self.

The final twelve group number was pretty good. I give Leah props for looking and sounding a hundred times better than when she was still on the show.

George's Me and Mrs. Jones was very, very good.

Kelly was the absolute highlight of the night. She is the best contestant to ever emerge from this show. I don't even like that song but she sang the hell out of it.

I'm so psyched that Canadian Idol 2 starts mext week so I don't have to go through withdrawl for months.

Can't wait for next year. After the auditioning cities were announced I'm already predicting a winner to come from St. Louis!

Last edited:

Lotta

On the Ice
Diana was my last hope, but I'm glad Fantasia won even though I don't like her much. But it was deserved. She's really good. I still hope it was Diana.

As Fantasia would say (sing), YEAH! YEYEAH! YEAH! YEAH! YEAH! YEYEAH! YEAH! YEAH!
;)

After hearing E! report that Diana had won the most votes in six out of last seven shows, with Fantasia only winning one, I thought Diana was sure to win. I ran into my neighbors, who are also Fantasia fans, and told them that, so we decided to all watch it together so we could console each other. Instead we all ended up screaming when they announced Fantasia's name--three 40-somethings jumping up and down like kids.

AI has REALLY cranked up the finale show, wow! This was big-time stuff.

But I must confess, I thought Ruben sounded and looked ridiculous during his new single. I've never been a Ruben fan, but I thought he was good within a certain genre. But now, yeesh. In fact, every time Ruben came on and sang I thought, "Well, here's one place where the difference between first and second makes a big difference." Clay is stuck at the level of Kim Caldwell in a hot, humid North Carolina stadium full of screaming Fantasia fans. When I still was sure Diana would win, I kept thinking, "Why, except for Kelly, does America keep getting it so wrong? Even when Kelly steamrolled Can't Sing Guarini, he still go 42% of the vote."

ITA, Mike, all the final 12 (almost all) sounded great. And they're bringing back some great R&B and Motown songs from the '60s, which of course I love. I thought George was terrific with "Me and Mrs. Jones" and I don't like that song. LaToya gave the most emotional performance I'd ever heard her give during the competition. I hope she keeps going in that direction. Kelly was da bomb both during the outside concert and inside as the piano chanteuse. But, ooh, poor Jasmine. First she tries to get people to sing along to a totally nonsingalong song, "Midnight Train to Georgia," and second, her pitch problems haven't gone anywhere. I listened to my tape of one of her early good performances and she really was good. I just don't know what happened to her.

BTW, about Diana sounding better tonight, she said on "Inside Edition" that there were sound problems with the band and the different accoustics with the bigger stage and theater. She said she had to keep moving around the stage to find the "sweet spot"--quickly adding, "Not to make excuses!" I also agree that Diana was very poised and I'll add that she and Fantasia seem to genuinely like each other, which was nice to see.

My favorite Q&A to Fantasia afterwards was somebody who asked her how she was able to sing "I Believe" in such an emotional state. First she said, "Well I couldn't sing for some of it, I was just a big ol' baby out there," and then, "I just kept telling myself, 'I got a story to tell, I've got to tell the story with this song.'" I love that answer because for me, that's what made me such a fan of Fantasia. She really knows, as I think every great singer does, that the most important thing is telling the true and honest story of the song through the music.

Not to cheese-off Diana fans, but because of her age, I think Diana will actually benefit from being under less pressure. She really is amazing, but she's got some things to work on--kind of like the 17-year-old Sasha Cohen. She'll still be putting out singles and albums, but I think this outcome will allow her more time to work on those things and grow as an artist. I know, Diana fans are probably thinking, "Oh, shut up, Rgirl.":laugh:

Last thing, on NY Fox News they interviewed Fantasia's aunt and cousins who live in New Jersey. Her aunt looks about 50 or 60 and you can see EXACTLY where Fantasia got her lips and personality. In fact, when Fantasia is that age, she'll probably look just like her aunt. I loved it.

Now you lucky duck Canadians get a double dip, though frankly, once a year is all I can take.

So I'm off to bed doing the Bobo.:) Yippee!
Rgirl

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Lad, you've made your point several times over the course of this show :laugh: give it up and be happy for teh winner ;) Yes, Kelly, 'Tasia, George, Latoya, and John were all singing... and singing well

I must say that Diana was a very gracious runner-up. It must have been so hard to put a brave face on after hearing that she hadn't won.

See I didn't think she did all that well... Justin hugged Kelly, Clay hugged Ruben and then got out of the winner's way so they could revel in the moment... Diana stood on the stage interuppted Ryan twice... and was crying her eyes out... and I don't think they were all happy tears for Fantasia... Clay's was classic... and I have to say Justin helping Kelly realize she won will always stick in my mind. Justin takes the cake! :)

I have to say I wasn't a fan of 'Tasia's during the show, but who couldn't be happy for her when she won... good grief that girl can cry! :) congrats to her! :)

and did anyone catch the last city Ryan mentioned for AUDITIONS?????? ANCHORAGE, BABY! (ok so there are 3 Anchorages in the US... but he meant Anchorage, Alaska, right????)

For Ryan to be in the same city as me at teh same time is going to be great! WOOT WOOT! :)

guinevere

Final Flight
Woo! Slogging through that bloated 2 hour monstrosity was worth it for the ending!!!

YEA FANTASIA!!!

We started off the show proper with the fabulously talented Tamyra Gray doing a really nervous and poor rendition of the "Star Spangled Banner". Ouch.

Many of the top 12 bootees song better tonight than they had on the show! Rgirl, I agree that LaToya brought much more feeling to her song. George was absolutely great on "Me & Mrs. Jones". The theme-night medley was great - and Camille actually sang her line well! THERE's the girl who earned a trip to LA! I hope George gets to sing "I'll Be There" on the AI tour - it's a perfect song for him. John hit his line well too - and check out Simon smiling at him! Leah was still pretty weak, though. And check out the producers hiding JPL and Matt Rodgers' solo lines by making them sing with Diana :laugh: I was so happy to see Jen Hudson !!

And Jasmine? There she was trying to get the crowd to sing along to "Midnight Train to Georga" - just how many of those teenagers in the crowd do you think even know that song? Based on the response, I'd say not many.

I also liked the Idol group song between Diana and Fantasia and Kelly and Ruben. The four of them sound very nice together. But when Diana came out on stage I thought "What the heck is Stevie Nicks doing here?!?". For the rest of the show I was seeing Stevie Nicks belting out all these songs, which is pretty funny considering Stevie's singing style. Diana had a slew of really nice outfits tonight - and her version of "I Believe" was years better than last night. She was enjoying herself and I think Diana is figuring out how to break through that glass wall.

Kelly was great! Ruben sounded good but I didn't like the song at all.

And finally, another congratulations to FANTASIA!!!!!!!!!

yea yea ya yuh yuh yuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

guinevere

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
John hit his line well too - and check out Simon smiling at him!

I know it was great...

everyone of them looked so comfy singing the medly...

guinevere

Final Flight
Tonichelle said:
and did anyone catch the last city Ryan mentioned for AUDITIONS?????? ANCHORAGE, BABY! (ok so there are 3 Anchorages in the US... but he meant Anchorage, Alaska, right????)
Toni, I meant to say something about that in my post -- NOW'S YOUR CHANCE TO BE A STAR!!!!!! Of course, to us, you're already a star :laugh:

guinevere

ps I think Diana was as gracious as she could be, considering that Fantasia basically collapsed on top of her and wouldn't let her go for about 2 minutes!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
oh no that wasn't the problem... it was after that... that's when you graciously excuse yourself and cry in a corner... not for the world to see... but she's 16 ;) what does she know? ;) (sorry had to try out my Simon "voice" one last time ;))

as for the stardom thing... I can NOT sing and I'm not about to try and pull a William Hung

however if you hear about a crazed fan stalking Ryan while he was in Alaska you may know who it was ;) :laugh:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I honestly don't think Diana was crying because she lost; rather, from relief that it is finally over. Can you imagine the stress these people have been through in recent weeks, months even? It must have been enormous. RELIEF, that's what that was all about. Who could blame her? There was no reason for her to go hide in a corner.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I thought Diana was very gracious and supportive last night and I couldn't see what she did to interfere with Fantasia's moment. It's hard to control tears and at that moment last night, she had a right to cry, whether it was for sadness or relief, who cares? 42

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I've gotta say first of all (tho I am actually emberassed to admit this), I was glad that the After The Final Rose episode of The Bachelor (complete with name calling and SERIOUS ACRIMONY) was on oppisite the finale for a while because I was NOT in the mood to sit through some of what we had to sit through before they finally got down to the brass tacks and it gave me something to flip to now and then so as to avoid falling asleep. Of course as a Fantasia fan(atic) I'm thrilled with the result, but the show as a whole was just a little overdone. Tho I admit it could have been me since I was tired and in a basically crappy mood anyway.

Miscellaneous Observations:

One thing that I give Jasmine credit for -- she's got some serious nerve. Or possibly some serious delusions, or maybe a combination of both. Her? "Midnight Train to Georgia"?? On top of the other songs she sang this season that she shouldn't have gone close to with a 10-foot pole??? Certainly she can't be accused of backing away from a challenge.

I like Tamyra Gray but I thought her rendition of the National Anthem was absolutely awful. I mean, from a singing/vocal perspective that's a pretty klunky song to begin with (even experienced singers will tell you this) and to go out there and use it as a showcase for a collection of vocal histrionics -- ugh. Not only did it sound bad, I thought it completely inappropriate. If she wants to show off, she can do it on her CD.

Perhaps -- this was inspired by the opening line of Rgirl's post -- Fantasia and Randy Jackson can do a yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah type duet on her CD.

Was I the only one who thought that Kimberly Caldwell looked like a high-priced hooker??

I thought the "Salute to the Season" production number was really cheesy -- looked like a really bad Up With People production. (Maybe it was the costuming) And I swear that JPL and Matt Rogers were drunk or something.

Wasn't Ruben supposed to be on a diet at some point or something? It's no wonder he can't get through an entire concert. That is just not healthy. I don't think he's going to be with us very much longer if he doesn't do something about that.

Fantasia's final outfit -- the black suit -- looked fantastic on her. She was stylin', best outfit she's worn all season except for maybe the red dress.

Diana was a very worthy runner-up and I can see her having quite a career herself. She's got some stuff to iron out vocally, but nothing that can't be fixed.

Kara Bear

Final Flight
My comments

As soon as Diana sang "I believe" on her last solo song, I knew Fantasia had won. I knew the show would end with the winner singing the AI single. Diana must have figured that out.

I also did not like how during the group number, they ended wth the three divas in the middle singing. I felt the end should have been focusing on Diana and Fantasia.

I just have some problems with some of the ways the show was produced this year.

I was soooo happy to see Fantasia win. Her story is so incredible. A teenaged mother who I think didn't graduate from high school (????). Her story could have ended so badly, but look at what she has accomplished. And when she sings I Believe, it really fits her and all of the things she must have gone through already in her life at only 19. And I found it very touching when she was singing "I believe" and she got down on her knees. There was just something in her voice that made me BAWL.

I was also struck by how could Amy Adams can sing, much better than Jasmine and even Diana. Shes got pipes!

I'm so glad for Canadian Idol...it will give me some summertime viewing. Starts next week....yippppeeeeeee.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
One thing that I give Jasmine credit for -- she's got some serious nerve. Or possibly some serious delusions, or maybe a combination of both. Her? "Midnight Train to Georgia"?? On top of the other songs she sang this season that she shouldn't have gone close to with a 10-foot pole??? Certainly she can't be accused of backing away from a challenge.

Jonny...........she does this song on the AI3 CD. It's quite good, in fact they all sound better on CD than live............42