Best Ladies' Flutzes ever? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Best Ladies' Flutzes ever?

ArgieFan

Rinkside
And so why wouldn't you ask a similar question about Nicole Bobek's and Adelina's jumps? I'm sure I don't know why.

Anyway, I would say they are flutzes rather than flips, because if you watch where she lands in relation to her take-off point, you can see that she did a pretty good job of counter-rotating her body in the air. Had anyone with a different physiology done that jump, it would likely have caused ankle sprain.

Thank you

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yeah, like this example:

https://youtu.be/bPdMsfEypg8?t=227

So is this really a lutz jump? You can tell he just vaulted up and just went straight backward without counter-rotating at all.

He's on the outside edge when he's taking off, thus fulfilling the CoP definition of a lutz jump, but I don't think this is a lutz jump. But it's not a flutz either. It's a jump that's neither a lutz nor a flutz. I will call this the 'nlutz' jump.

It's clearly a flitz jump:biggrin:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Yeah, like this example:

So is this really a lutz jump? You can tell he just vaulted up and just went straight backward without counter-rotating at all.

He does counter rotate. His body is going clockwise as he turns into vaulting position, he's out on the outside edge as he knee bends, and he jumps counterclockwise. Being on the outside edge at the start inherently means there is counter rotation, which is exactly why a flutz is not a flip - despite going onto the inside edge your body was still initially traveling in the opposite direction of the rotation. Whereas in a Lip, the skater's body is going in the direction of the rotation on the setup, even though they push over onto the outside edge as they pick in.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
I think I'd take those borderline flutzes over those weird loop-entry lutz. The latter pretty much forced the outside edge, but it's so damn ugly.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I have seen all the videos it's an outrageous lie to say sotnikova flutzed at Olympics. I suspect pro Yuna take away sotnikovas gold agenda. Same thing with ur allegation.

Last edited:

hurrah

Medalist
I have seen all the videos it's an outrageous lie to say sotnikova flutzed at Olympics. I suspect pro Yuna take away sotnikovas gold agenda. Same thing with ur allegation.

Adelina didn't flutz, but she didn't really lutz either...

Globetrotter

Medalist
Yeah, like this example:

He's on the outside edge when he's taking off, thus fulfilling the CoP definition of a lutz jump, but I don't think this is a lutz jump. But it's not a flutz either. It's a jump that's neither a lutz nor a flutz. I will call this the 'nlutz' jump.

Takahashi went into the lutz via a CW counter entry. By staying on the outside edge when he stepped up and skated backwards, the direction of curve is already CW. Then he had to vault into the jump and rotate CCW. By definition, that is already a counter rotated jump. The only thing you can say is that the short entry allows the counter rotation to be shorter but that in no way still makes the jump any easier as the momentum prior to the jump is still in a CW curve.

hurrah

Medalist
The only thing you can say is that the short entry allows the counter rotation to be shorter

Yeah, really short, like less than a second. He's on the outside edge for quite literally less than a second, and doesn't deepen his edge at takeoff. Is that really a lutz jump? Is the difficulty and the counter-rotational pull that his leg and body have to endure equal to what, for example, Carolina experiences when she vaults up into the air? I don't think so. That is not really a lutz jump in my book. They could be called the 'lutz-like' jump as opposed to the 'lutz' jump.

Last edited:

begin

Medalist

I mean, we have eyes :rolleye:

She didn't hold the outside edge at all and at least the lower half of her blade was on the inside edge by takeoff. She was given benefit of the doubt though (judges don't usually give that to repeat offenders but..obviously).

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
hmm...goofy, and the 3Toe is underrotated by half a rotation. And also, that's clearly a flutz.
It's no more under-rotated than Yuna's solo lutz. I don't see the obvious flutz, either. It's hard to tell if she switched over, but she clearly took off from the outside edge.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
It's no more under-rotated than Yuna's solo lutz.

Watch the point where their toepicks leave the ice and where they land. There is a big difference.

It's hard to tell if she switched over, but she clearly took off from the outside edge.

This sentence literally makes no sense. No, it's not hard to tell if she switched over either (if you look at something other than a shaky fancam). So many screencaps and slo-mo's have been posted already, we can direct you to them if you haven't seen yet. You'll have to seek out an eye doctor as needed on your own, though.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Watch the point where their toepicks leave the ice and where they land. There is a big difference.

Please don't start with that "jumps can be landed forward if they took off with 1/4 prerotation." Anyone who watched skating for 5 minutes knows that jumps aren't supposed to be landed forward, and you're being very dishonest by saying 1/4 prerotation and 1/2 rotation at the end (which is the rule) is the same thing as rotating 2 1/4 turns (which is not the rule). I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish by going there again except to get certain fans riled up.

gourry

Final Flight
Please don't start with that "jumps can be landed forward if they took off with 1/4 prerotation." Anyone who watched skating for 5 minutes knows that jumps aren't supposed to be landed forward, and you're being very dishonest by saying 1/4 prerotation and 1/2 rotation at the end (which is the rule) is the same thing as rotating 2 1/4 turns (which is not the rule). I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish by going there again except to get certain fans riled up.

But I do think the actual rotation should account for something. When some skaters seem to be a little bit short of 1/4 turn at the end, it is usually those who have more pre-rotation that get dinged for underrotation, and I think it is very logical, because they indeed underrotating another 1/4 rotation than those who don't have pre-rotation. Saying 'Ahh this is unfair, skater A and B have same underrotation at the end and only A got <!' without considering their actual rotation in the air is no sense IIHO. Then what is the point to do a jump properly without cheating? That's just promoting cheating.

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

This sentence literally makes no sense. No, it's not hard to tell if she switched over either (if you look at something other than a shaky fancam). So many screencaps and slo-mo's have been posted already, we can direct you to them if you haven't seen yet. You'll have to seek out an eye doctor as needed on your own, though.

There's no need to insult. I watched the slo mo. I don't think it's that obvious from the videos. It's hardly a Bobek or Cohen level flutz, if that's what it is. Calls can be missed just like umpires in baseball sometimes call a strike a ball. Yuna got a gift, too, with her solo lutz that got positive GOE including a +3 from one judge even though the jump was at least borderline under-rotated.

Last edited:

Layback11

Record Breaker
No need to get so upset...if you want to discuss this on an objective, technical scale, that's great and exactly what this thread was created for. Making obnoxious comments when somebody doesn't agree with you? That's getting a little too...ehrm...in-your-face.