Olivia Smart And Joseph Buckland Split | Golden Skate

Olivia Smart And Joseph Buckland Split

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
After winning every British Championship they have competed in since joining forces in 2010 (3 Junior and 1 Senior), Olivia Smart and Joseph Buckland have called time on their partnership.

According to Olivia, Joe is "moving forward in a different direction" (I take it that means he's retiring), while she is looking for a new partner.

Olivia Smart said:
I would like to take this opportunity to announce that after 4 years of training and living together, unfortunately Joe and I's time of competing together as a team has come to an end. I wish Joe the best as he chooses to move forward in a different direction. I would like to thank everybody for you're incredible support throughout the years, NISA especially in standing by us and pushing us forwards.I am looking ahead with renewed commitment and drive to a new life in this sport, and I will be looking for a new partner for future seasons and to be able to continue to represent the UK, my country, and make my home and everybody around me proud. 🇬🇧

Post on Olivia's Facebook profile

Thank you to *SnowQueen* on the IceSkating&Ritmica Forum for bringing this to our attention.

All the best to both Olivia and Joe for the future.

CaroLiza_fan

EDIT: As Golden has pointed out below, Joe isn't retiring. He is also looking for a new partner.

Apologies for any confusion caused.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... According to Olivia, Joe is "moving forward in a different direction" (I take it that means he's retiring), while she is looking for a new partner. ...

Joe Buckland is NOT retiring, according to NISA's announcement yesterday. He too is looking for a new partner:

Joe Buckland & Olivia Smart

Joe & Olivia have, after much thought, decided to end their partnership. They are both wishing to continue competitive skating and are looking for new partners.

http://www.iceskating.org.uk/index.cfm/news/joe-buckland-olivia-smart/

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Joe Buckland is NOT retiring, according to NISA's announcement yesterday. He too is looking for a new partner:

Joe Buckland & Olivia Smart

Joe & Olivia have, after much thought, decided to end their partnership. They are both wishing to continue competitive skating and are looking for new partners.

http://www.iceskating.org.uk/index.cfm/news/joe-buckland-olivia-smart/

Aha! I hadn't seen the NISA announcement. Thank you for the correction! :bow:

Mmmm. I wonder why Olivia worded it that way in her comment, then. Because, using that phrase really did make it sound like he was going to do things outside of skating.

But, that's great news if they are both continuing with different partners. If it means we end up with more quality couples competing in the British Championships, then all the better!

CaroLiza_fan

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... I wonder why Olivia worded it that way in her comment, then. ...

Only my speculation, but I have a feeling that she was vague b/c she did not think it was her place [ETA: or her responsibility??] to communicate his plans??? Given that they no longer are partners.

Last edited: