L.A. Weekly Article On Ice Fashions | Golden Skate

L.A. Weekly Article On Ice Fashions

IDLERACER

Medalist
Click HERE to read an article in last week's Los Angeles Weekly about skating fashions. Click HERE for the accompanying picture of Jenny Kirk enlarged.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Thanks for the link. It's an interesting article, but this quote got to me.

And for better or worse, skating is almost certainly the only sport that attracts devotees solely on the basis of sparkle, color and shine.

:rolleye: Personally, I don't understand how they could make this statement. Sparkle and color are NOTHING! Everyone knows it's the shine and only the shine that attracts people to figure skating. I wouldn't cross the street to see sparkle and color.:sheesh:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
That comment about fans being attracted to skating "solely" due to the sparkle, etc, is unbeleivably condescending. Makes us all sound like a bunch of infants who get overly fascinated by sparkly things or something like that.

lulu

Final Flight
UGH!

Yes it is Plushy's lovely velvet ensambles that make me love his skating.:p

bronxgirl

Medalist
Sadly, I think the commentator is right. Many casual fans watch more for the "flash and trash" aspect of figure skating than for the fact that it requires true athletic skill to do what these athletes are capable of. There are few other sports that ask you "how" you did the event as well as "how well" you did the event. the only other sports (just off the top of my head) include dressage, hunter (a type of equestrian sport as well), syncronyized swimming - you get the picture. None of these are the reasons why TV networks pay so much to carry the Olympics. In fact, most of these sports have similar image problems as figure skating.
Now if we could only find a way to invent extreme figure skating and sell it to the X games - :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
bronxgirl said:

Now if we could only find a way to invent extreme figure skating and sell it to the X games - :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Actually -- I think in Mexico it already might BE considered an extreme sport. Down in San Diego, I get 5 Mexican stations on TV and there is one show that comes on about midnight or 1AM occasionally and it's devoted to "extreme sports" -- and they show a lot of clips of performances from past US Nationals!! Usually pairs and ice dancing. Bizarre, eh?:)

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
bronxgirl said:
Unfortunately, the sport IS moving that way. The emphasize on triple-triple combos and quadruple jumps is just that - an interest in extreme aspects of the sport. Much more exciting then a perfect layback spin position, or edge on a spiral.

SusanBeth said:
Personally, I don't understand how they could make this statement. Sparkle and color are NOTHING! Everyone knows it's the shine and only the shine that attracts people to figure skating. I wouldn't cross the street to see sparkle and color.:sheesh:
:laugh: :laugh: How dare you bash my fave = Sparkle? Sparkle can skate rings around Shine!:laugh: :laugh:

Bijoux

Match Penalty
I have to wonder...

what did Kat's 1988 European outfit look like? Idle we need you again. I remember Kat was hammered for wearing tights in her Robinhood routine, but she was completely covered. Is it her fault she was so shapely? Back when women ruled the sport and not tiny flat girls? Def. a weird article.

I loved Jen's costume but did not realize it was cut so low.

Will the ladies wear nothing next to get the ratings up?

I loved Sarah's very classy Oly costumes.

One question I have is, why doesn't Michelle and these stars of ice/screen have to pay for 50,000 dollar dresses. Madness! It's obscene. How many people can be fed with that? That must be an overstated amt, ya think??

Lucy25

Final Flight
I wonder if that $50,000 dress for Michelle Kwan was the silver two piece that had the U.S. flag on the front. She was photgraphed looking into a mirror wearing it, but said that it was too heavy to skate in. This was a couple of years ago.

I wish the article would have said how much Jenny's Chicago dress cost. It must have been a lot since it was hand beaded. She certainly got a lot out of it though, wearing it for competition and exhibition.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Obviously Hazel-Dawn Dumpert (writer) has never figure skated in her life!

We'll file this one under "dumb article"

millyskate

Rinkside
I'm sorry to say that when it comes to olys, many people do in fact watch the skating simply because they like seeing the costumes... several people i know have admitted to it. And apart from the line referring to the role sarah hughes' dress played in her olympic title, i think the article is actually pretty acurate (but boring and pointless). everyone did make a fuss when michelle put her hair up, and pretty amazing athletes do ridicule themselves through bad costume choice.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
what did Kat's 1988 European outfit look like?
http://www.olympic.org/uk/athletes/heroes/bio_uk.asp?PAR_I_ID=75787
If you look at he photo gallery below her profile, you'll see the hideous blue showgirl outfit. At Euros, it just had a lot less of the blue plumes covering her hips, etc..Think of a really ugly version of Madonna's showgirl tour costumes.
Bah! You're both wrong! Everyone knows it's color who rules!
No way! I'm so sick of color being hyped as "possibly the greatest aspect of costumes of all time", then when the big comps come around, one wash and it's all fade, fade, fade. Sure, color always wins the practice sessions , but what has it done in competition?

The whole sprakle vs. shine debate is really down to cultural preferences. The EE bloc will always rally around sparkle (it's costume's answert to speed) while NA judges will favor the mor eintrospetive shine. Sprakle vs ahine always comes down to a 5/4 split. :laugh:

Seriously though, color probalby is the biggest. Peggy's chartruse, Dorothy's "american rose", Oksana's "pink poodle" , it's probably the color that we remember the most.

Edited to add: OMG! Look at the picture of Kat's Carmen layback. The bandage, the wedgie. Shizuka was obviously ripping her off in Dortmund. An homage perhaps? :laugh:

Last edited:

SusanBeth

Final Flight
It saddens me to see that some posters are so far from true skating ''enlightenment.'' They cannot see that sparkle is merely a pathetic, sputtering shine wannabe. As for color, if it were anything special, it wouldn't be all over every Tom, Dick, and Harry that walk down the street. How different they are from shine, which requires ability, effort, and occasionally batteries. :p

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Anyone think that the skating attire should be standardized and compulsory somewhat like Tennis?
Can you explain what you mean?

1. Skating is "standardized and compulsory". Ladies must wear skirts, men must wear sleeves, etc...Lots of silly rules.

2. What are the rules for Tennis? Just yesterday I saw Serena playing in red hot pants and a mid-driff baring cropped red top. I've never seen any other Tennis player, male or female, wearing that. It seems to me that the idea of "Tennis whites" went out with no white after labor day and/or asking your future father-in-laws permission to marry.

3. With so many of the Tennis players tied to corporate sponsors and rediculous things, like Cleisters not going to the Olys because she can't wear Rebok, I certainly hope skating doesn't take any cues from it. Can you imaging MK taking gold in Torino and finally stepping atop that top podium step with "Coke" emblazzoned across her chest in big sequined letters? :( :eek: :cry: