Polina Edmunds - her chances next season? your thoughts? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Polina Edmunds - her chances next season? your thoughts?

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
And it does not sit well with me that he was the official mouthpiece of @Worlds2016 even on a temporary basis.

Did this really happen? (I don't follow my twitter feed very often.) That is very surprising to me. If so, you're right -- I guess @Worlds2016 will let pretty much anyone become a mouthpiece. Or maybe the owners of @Worlds2016 have so little to talk about atm that they are happy to turn it over to someone else for a bit.

Just a couple quick things:

I disagree with 90% of his commentary, but I don't think he's trying to be taken seriously (or professionally, for that matter).

For YouTube, I've noticed very little 'vulgarity' in his content as has been mentioned in this thread. But perhaps I am a bit immune to it, as most popular YouTubers seem to drop 'f-bombs' every other sentence, and he is not even on my radar.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Um, can you link it? I have a feeling I know what it is, but I just want to be sure.

And I understand that everyone has people they don't like. But there are so many people (Polina, Maxim Kovtun, Sergei Voronov, Ksenia Makarova, and I'm sure there are more but I can't think of them right not) that he doesn't like that Gracie is only a tiny fraction of it.

Okay, we've hijacked this thread way too long :slink: There's a PCS thread in Share It if anyone is so inclined as to continue this discussion.

Will reply in that thread then. :slink:

Layback11

Record Breaker
Did this really happen? (I don't follow my twitter feed very often.) That is very surprising to me. If so, you're right -- I guess @Worlds2016 will let pretty much anyone become a mouthpiece. Or maybe the owners of @Worlds2016 have so little to talk about atm that they are happy to turn it over to someone else for a bit.

Just a couple quick things:

I disagree with 90% of his commentary, but I don't think he's trying to be taken seriously (or professionally, for that matter).

For YouTube, I've noticed very little 'vulgarity' in his content as has been mentioned in this thread. But perhaps I am a bit immune to it, as most popular YouTubers seem to drop 'f-bombs' every other sentence, and he is not even on my radar.

Heh, about that...

I'm just a really sensitive person, as previously stated, and part of that is a general aversion to vulgar slang. Not earth-shattering, but I try to avoid it. Probably just paranoid. :slink:

mrrice

Record Breaker
First, as someone who has worked with young teens, I really don't find this guy amusing at all. He should know that any performer has insecurities and there are ways to get your point across including, wishing a skater a better performance in the future rather than basically telling them they suck. It shouldn't bother me this much but, I have seen so many girls become bulimic after someone has said anything negative about them.

It doesn't even have to be about their weight. I can't tell you how many times I've heard. " You're saying that because you think I'm fat! " He should know if he's paid any attention to the sport he's commenting on, that these ladies take this sport seriously. This sport is often lonely, painful, and so draining that you hardly have time for anything else. Even when you do have time off, a good long nap usually tops your list of favorite off ice activities. ;)

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Heh, about that...

I'm just a really sensitive person, as previously stated, and part of that is a general aversion to vulgar slang. Not earth-shattering, but I try to avoid it. Probably just paranoid. :slink:

Sometimes cussing and figure skating can be funny though :)
http://www.eurosport.ru/figure-skating/story_sto4630347.shtml (watch the movie)

Or Zhenia saying "I don't give a [BLEEP] about that jump" only to realize the camera was right there :laugh:
http://youtu.be/iVr2IqSz2Jw

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Did this really happen? (I don't follow my twitter feed very often.) That is very surprising to me. If so, you're right -- I guess @Worlds2016 will let pretty much anyone become a mouthpiece. Or maybe the owners of @Worlds2016 have so little to talk about atm that they are happy to turn it over to someone else for a bit. ...

Yes, it really did happen. Here is an after-the-fact reference from @Worlds2016.

@Worlds2016
... Patrick was a guest tweeter for us during WTT. He was fantastic. Follow him at @Team_PDD.
2:12 PM - 3 Jun 2015
https://twitter.com/Worlds2016/status/606206832013676544

IIRC, the circumstances were that during WTT, Jimmy Morgan (of the Skating Club of Boston, who usually handles @Worlds 2016 tweeting) was competing overseas at a different event, so he could not live tweet.
But I can't fathom the choice of Patrick as his sub.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
https://twitter.com/Worlds2016/status/606206832013676544

[...] But I can't fathom the choice of Patrick as his sub.

Interesting, and evidently true based on that tweet -- thanks, may research that one a bit more since I missed the tweets during WTT.

Maybe this is just a sign of the sorry state of figure skating commentary, in the English-speaking world at least. Nearly every commentator (whether 'amateur' or 'professional') in North America seems snarky and negative, as if there is some formulaic set of credentials required for the job.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
If you're in the public eye there will always be comments, he's not harassing any of the skaters in anyway, Gracie can just shake it off like her best friend Taylor Swift if anything:rolleye:

and yes I think commentary for anything in general has been in a sorry state, you must be snarky and throw shade by making passive aggressive comments or make faces and be sassy. Jenny Kirk does it all the time in her interviews and I find it awkward and contrived, it's not funny and it comes off forced.

shine

Record Breaker
I loved her Tinkerbell. I agree the dress was kind of fugly, but the program itself I loved. The build-up to the choral climax gave me chills. I don't get the obsession with forcing young skaters to grow up anyways. Why is a fantastical, sweet program worth less than a sensual, mature one? I don't think her program was juniorish, it was well suited to a 16 year old, which a lot of people don't seem to like.

I loved it too. I feel sorry that it is being dismissed by many as nothing more than an immature, junior program, when the choreography has so much details and nuances that only very few skaters would be able to pull off. I thought Polina did a very respectable job - I especially enjoyed her performance to it at 4cc. Can't wait to see her new programs! Looks like they are playing it a bit safe with music choices, but I don't mind at all as I think she will be able to pull off classical elegance very well.

karlowens2

On the Ice
Eurosport Commentators at 4CC enjoyed her free program saying it was "delicate but strong" and they could watch her all day. I enjoyed it too; Polina has her own style graceful lyrical and draws from these strengths just as Ashley is dynamic and Gracie athletic. Karen is a powerhouse but time will tell. Polina's Gold medal at 4CC gives her credibility going forward. Someone in another thread said she is getting really "gorgeous" - in the words of the Eurosport team she's "growing"... I for one can't wait to see her again and I bet her team has some surprises for us program-wise this season... :)

I hated the tinkerbell program early in the season, but came to like it. If you tke this and the Greig program from 2014 you can see what kind of skater she could be. Many try to look balletic but she is balletic. This is a special quality could make her stand out and up on the podium. How about a Cyd Charisse American in Paris program - jazzy black leotards? Alas - No one has a clue what I'm talking about. :shrug: