Gotta Love It! | Golden Skate

Gotta Love It!

berthes ghost

Final Flight
http://www.icesk8.com/collect/progrm02.htm

I got a kick out of these old Ice Capades programs. I love the Vargas type covers from the 50s, and got a good chuckle out of the TV variety show type covers from the 70s. Although I'd love to see what a routine called "Barbie Talent Search" was like, it was also interesting to read the cast members, for example :Richard Callaghan. :eek:

What a great sport. And the best part is, they're still selling what they've always sold!

MM

gkelly

Record Breaker
Heh, in the 40s and 50s they seem to be using the phrases "world champion" and "Olympic champion" to mean "champion of something somewhere who also competed at Worlds/Olympics at least once."

Which kind of devalues Jacqueline DuBief's description as world champion, since she actually did win Worlds. And she would also qualify under the broader definition as "Olympic champion."

By the 60s and beyond they have Olympic medalists that they're not making the effort to distinguish from the rest of the headliners.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Heh, in the 40s and 50s they seem to be using the phrases "world champion" and "Olympic champion" to mean "champion of something somewhere who also competed at Worlds/Olympics at least once."
:laugh: I noticed that too!. All I could think of was the little medals they give out for winning the free skate. For example: it says "Olympic champion Ginny Baxter". Virgina won the free skate at the 52 Olys, but she didn't even medal due to low figures finish. The gold medalist (Altwegg) was 4th in the FS, but 1st in figures for a gold overall. Can you imagine if that finish happened in SLC! :laugh:

Spinner

Rinkside
berthes ghost said:
:laugh: I noticed that too!. All I could think of was the little medals they give out for winning the free skate. For example: it says "Olympic champion Ginny Baxter". Virgina won the free skate at the 52 Olys, but she didn't even medal due to low figures finish. The gold medalist (Altwegg) was 4th in the FS, but 1st in figures for a gold overall. Can you imagine if that finish happened in SLC! :laugh:
I think many fans would be quite surprised to see how the results during the figures era would be vastly different had figures not been part of the competition. For example, Brian Orser would be the 84 Oly gold medalist as would Liz Manley for 88 Olys. Brian won both the SP and the LP in 84, but was too far behind in figures to overtake Hamilton. And Liz won the LP in 88 with an AMAZING performance--nailed all the triples except the Axel and flip. I've also heard that Paul Wylie would have been US champ at least once (but not entirely sure, someone can check that one for me ;)).

Wow, that's a walk down memory lane! Donna Atwood and Bobby Specht- How long were they the stars: then there's Jacqueline du Bief whom I tghink originated the ]illusion' spin. Ronnie Robertson wad a great skater for his time.

BG - Anything on Holiday on Ice?

JOe

John King

Final Flight
When I saw the cover of that 1954 brochure(4th down on the left),my first thought was "When did Betty Page join the Ice Capades?":laugh:

IDLERACER

Medalist
I don't understand the one from 1950. Why would you want to put a picture of someone falling on the cover of a program?

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
then there's Jacqueline du Bief whom I tghink originated the ]illusion' spin.

JOe

Gabrielle Seyfert, Jutta Mueller's daughter originated the spin. She went off-balance in a camel...and repeated the mistake...LOL

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Gabrielle Seyfert, Jutta Mueller's daughter originated the spin. She went off-balance in a camel...and repeated the mistake...LOL
I don't know about that. I've seen footage of Jaquline doing a spin where she alternates between traditional camel and illusion positions. It was fabulous. This was in 1952, when Gaby was about 4 years old. If Gaby's was different, it must have been a minor change.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
The prices on these programs are very reasonable. Anyone buying any? 42

Mevrouw

Rinkside
I don't understand the one from 1950. Why would you want to put a picture of someone falling on the cover of a program?

You are clearly not old enough to know how "standards" differed back then - over 54 years ago. No one would have seen the skater as 'having fallen down'. Instead, this was a very "racy" cover to have had on a program. Ladies didn't show their legs in short skirts and this lass was clearly in a very short skirt.

It was just different then.