Most innovative/original choreography | Golden Skate

Most innovative/original choreography

andromache

Record Breaker
In Tamara Moskvina's TSL interview, she talked about Kavaguti/Smirnov's Manfred Symphony LP and how COP does not necessarily reward original choreography and programs. Moskvina is certainly known for brilliant, unique choreography with many of her pairs. I'm intrigued as to what other skaters/performances have had the most innovative/creative/original choreography from other people's perspectives. We certainly see a lot of similar-looking programs under COP, but what programs have really pushed boundaries choreographically, under both COP and 6.0? Savchenko/Szolkowy also come to mind as skaters who often had very unique choreography.

Last edited by a moderator:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Yes, S/S had unique and innovative choreo repeatedly throughout their career, with they're Pina LP probably the most notable example.
There was also Daisuke Takahashis HipHop Swan Lake aka Cyber Swan, which qualifies. A lot of his other programs were unique, but sometimes maybe it was less the choreo and more his skating.
In Ice Dance, I thought Pechalat/Bourzat used to have the most unique choreo and style.

lyverbird1

Final Flight
I loved Zhigashina and Gazsi's originality, especially their Olympic year programmes last year with the short dance leading into the free dance with the theme. I also loved how they got into character straight away upon setting foot onto the ice before the music had even begun. It saddens me that they are no more as a dance team and that they didn't get greater rewards for their innovation and choreography.

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
I agree with Zhiganshina/Gazsi. Their programs were crazy (a little bit more :D ) but for sure very original. I love the dance from 2012/2013 season. Everytime I hear this music I see Nelli and Alex in front of me :)
I think also legendary Bolero was pretty innovate at the time their created it. Just that start of the dance is original. I also loved Pechalat/Bourzat's dances they were not the same as the others. And Marina and Gwendal's famous free dance from the Olympics 2002 could be called innovate as well with the speaking included in the music.

For the pair category I would say Savchenko/Szolkowy created some innovate programs. They weren't afraid of different costumes or make-up(Send in Clowns) and sometimes it was little bit too much for me :D

From men I especially like Jason Brown's choreography. He has very original spins, steps, transitions, some special moves into the music etc.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
I'd say Weaver and Poje have original and unique ideas most of the time. I really like their 2013 FD. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mYmOGtkN54

S/S would be obvious choise for the pairs. Pink panther!

I think this is a little bit too old, but Toller Cranston really was an inovative name in figure skating.

aromaticchicken

On the Ice
Perhaps no longer immediately considered innovative because he is now American champion and mainstream, but one main reason Jason Brown's Riverdance got millions of YouTube views was that his program involved innovative Rohene Ward tricks and moves we hadn't really seen before from the top competitors!

Also, I think Jeremy Abbotts 2013-2014 programs were very innovative. The short program was such a work of art, if he had just skated it clean I think it was the best constructed short of the Olympic season. And that one move in the long where he hands in a lunge with his hand on the ground is everything!!

Joshua Farris's programs from last year were innovative as well. The short program in particular had some interesting new moves and choreographic intent courtesy of Jeffrey Buttle, and Josh's spins are particularly unique.

Finally, I like to think that Leonovas Chaplin short from last season was innovative and interesting. Was my favorite ladies short of the season, such a shame Russian nationals is so competitive that she couldn't bring it to Europeans or worlds.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
https://instagram.com/p/5aIiBah7tt/

Is it just me is that little tater tot in pink actually doing the choreography the best in the group. Maybe Jason has her beat but not by much :popcorn:

Rohene is the freshest Choreographer out there right now IMO. I just love what he's done with Jason. All the little knee slides and tricky transitions into spins and jumps really sets him apart for me. I have my fingers crossed for what he's done with Mariah this year. For some reason I'm buying into the myth that they've created something to remember

QuadThrow

Medalist
Oh yeah! Savchenko/Szolkowy performed great programs. Pina, Pink Panther, Send in the clowns, Angels and Demons... the most innovative and creative program of the last 10 years. Shiganzina/Gaszi were great too. I think German skaters has to make something different. They do not have a strong federation in their backround to push them up.

I think takahashis programs were not that innovative. He has just been an outstandig artist.

Abbott and Fernandez are still cool, innovative and funny. And i remember Kim lucine. His Supermario-SP is a masterpiece.

noskates

Record Breaker
I agree about Rohene Ward. If you can look past Jason's programs, look at Mariah Bell! But - the little girl in the pink jacket was really kickin' it. I think Rohene is special because he's never walked to the same beat as everyone else. He brings a danceability to his choreography that isn't always found in figure skating but more in contemporary dance routines.

I do think Jeff Buttle is somewhat innovative. I'm a little tired of Traci Wilson and REALLY tired of Lori Nichols. But any of these choreographers are only as good as the person skating to the choreography. Lori did some really special things with Michelle.

andromache

Record Breaker
I agree about Rohene Ward. If you can look past Jason's programs, look at Mariah Bell! But - the little girl in the pink jacket was really kickin' it. I think Rohene is special because he's never walked to the same beat as everyone else. He brings a danceability to his choreography that isn't always found in figure skating but more in contemporary dance routines.

I do think Jeff Buttle is somewhat innovative. I'm a little tired of Traci Wilson and REALLY tired of Lori Nichols. But any of these choreographers are only as good as the person skating to the choreography. Lori did some really special things with Michelle.

Jeff Buttle seems unique in his ability to choreograph SO WELL to music like "Give Me Love." Given the song choice, it could've been a really cheesy/exhibitiony program, but IMO all of the movements had a ton of flow and everything was incorporated perfectly.

I think Lori Nichol gets painted with a bit of a broad brush at times. Not all of her work has been super fresh, but I think Denis's LP had some really, really, unique moments.

Rohene stands out for his jam-packed programs. They're jam-packed and work great with IJS, but they work so well because they are actually cohesive.

mrrice

Record Breaker
"Finally, I like to think that Leonovas Chaplin short from last season was innovative and interesting. Was my favorite ladies short of the season, such a shame Russian nationals is so competitive that she couldn't bring it to Europeans or worlds."

True.......................:points: And She's Gorgeous!! One more thing. Skaters need to give her costumer a call. She always looks like a million bucks!!

Last edited:

shmay

On the Ice
Hubert and Gusmeroli put out consistently innovative work. There was overt innovation like Gusmeroli's jewel thief LP from 1998-1999, and then more subtle innovation like Hubert's 1997-1998 SP to the Michael Nyman music that Jason Brown currently uses.

And then the following season Hubert opted to portray one night in the life of a junkie, complete with a climactic overdose. Good times.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I agree! One of the most original free dances I've ever scene! Between their dance and Zhiganshina/Gazsi's, the 2012-2013 season had some very innovative program concepts!

Imo, W&P's Statues program was not even slightly original. Usova and Zhulin did Statues come to Life as their Olympic year program in 1992
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2uKof8cUCY

The same year, they did Sound of Music for their polka, as did the Duchesnays in 1992, although at least W&P did not use Lonely Goatherd.
https://youtu.be/Ar8AclSXsLA

So their whole set of programs that year was a rerun of 1992 for me.

OTOH, their Je suis malade had quite a lot of original content.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
One of the most innovative free dances for me in the last few years (sadly, due to injury, they had to water it down by worlds) was Hitchcock (Gilles/Poirier). I am not a fan of their coaching staff, but they did something wonderful with that dance.

bj80alex

Rinkside
One of the most innovative free dances for me in the last few years (sadly, due to injury, they had to water it down by worlds) was Hitchcock (Gilles/Poirier). I am not a fan of their coaching staff, but they did something wonderful with that dance.
Gilles/Poirier and Hurtado/Diaz are my favorite ice dance couples for their constant innovative choreography. For G/P, I love their Hitchcock program and the "Dream and Imagination" program, both of which are ingenious work of Christopher Dean. And H/D impressed me with their Picasso program and their FD last season.
For pairs, beside S/S's Pina and Pink Panther, the most innovative program that comes to my mind is Russian B/S's "City Lights" LP in 2001, which, again, choreographed by Christopher Dean! :bow:

Botan

Rinkside
For G/P, I love their Hitchcock program and the "Dream and Imagination" program, both of which are ingenious work of Christopher Dean

The Hitchcock program wasn't choreographed by Dean though, that was all Carol Lane and Juris Razgulajevs' doing. At least that's what G/P told icenetwork.