"The Day After Tomorrow" | Golden Skate

"The Day After Tomorrow"

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
It's a fairly good movie... there are some really cheesy scenes... and some of the graphics use made me wonder "why" they computerized the starving wolves which was lame... it's not like they haven't been able to use real wolves before! They also had some really cheesy weather graphics--though for the most part that was the BEST PART of the movie!!!! I think what really made me mad was the fact that they computerized the glaciers... and then they used the same photos as clouds(or at least they looked the same) glaciers look so different.

and dude!

spoiler

space

they killed off Alaska!!! How does that work??? not fair! LOL ;) seriously though... it's like Twister but on a grander scale... my best friend and I sat on the edge of our seats for most of it. Though it is sort of predictable... and the "love scenes" made me roll my eyes it was a good movie... I think 3 swear words in all(though I think I'm the only one on here who worries about those things)

NOT SURE if it will look as awesome on TV/Video... the graphics seem made more for the big screen... Jude Law was great in the movie, as was Dennis Quaid... two very believeable characters... and the homeless dude was a great character loved his dog!

the Dennis Quaid said that the parts of the President and the Vice President were chosen to make a statement... the vice president favors Cheny(he is the one who screws up in the beggining of the movie costing billions of lives) and the president favors Kerry(the compassionate one who "saves" the world :rolleye: ) I didn't think either character needed to be in there if that's all they were there for... let the people in politics duke it out WITHOUT bringing in Hollywood(like that would ever happen :rolleye: )

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Toni, I read your review without scrolling down to the spoiler part.........we're going tomorrow. My first choice was Shrek 2, but hubby hasn't seen Shrek 1 yet..........:\ 42

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
that's what I thought, that it wasn't Jude Law... but the review in the paper said it was... there I go screwing up again... oops!

JOHIO2

Medalist
Sorry Toni. I thought the "Big One" was only supposed to drop California into the Pacific!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
LOL!

Oh I wouldn't be surprised if when Calafornia goes under we'll not be too far behind! :laugh:

JOHIO2

Medalist
Toni,

I take back what I said. Alaska may precede California into the Pacific. The History Channel showed a program today about the Good Friday Quake that hit Anchorage, etc. in 1964. I'd say I forgot that, because I was just a kid. Also, without CNN and other news broadcasts, we only heard some really wild rumors and then it didn't seem so bad when the real story came out.

The show said that Alaska gets about 11% of all the earthquakes in the WORLD. WOW! And that one was 9 point something on the Richter Scale. Kinda makes you glad you weren't born yet, doesn't it?

And, if memory serves me right, the good folks on tv tied that quake into the UFO/JFK Conspiracy theories. Think "Taken" and XFiles! So it should hardly surprise us that the movie's Big One wipes out Alaska! (don't forget the tsunamis after the quake!)

The good news is, unless we truly get into the fundamentalists apocalypse, the rest of the world will be OK and thus able to come in and help (providing the Big One doesn't immediately wipe Alaska off the Map. :rolleye: )

Anyway, I think I'll wait to see this flick on tv just like I wait to see most movies.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Tonichelle:

Disaster movies are not my favorite type of movie to view as we are expecting the "big one" here on the coast of British Columbia any time. In fact, when I lived in Victoria - everyone used to tell me the whole Island was in jepordy shoud a major earthquake happen. I experienced quite a tremor in Richmond while at work one day! That was "close" enough for me.

Thanks for the review, but I think I will put this one on my videos to rent - maybe.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Hubby and I just got back from the movies........score another one for mankind for messing with the planet........I have a question. If the planet is in another ice age, are there enough plants left to produce oxygen? Just a thought. This kind of movie drives me to eat "comfort" food........french fries here I come. Anyway, it was suspenseful, some parts were cheesy, but worth the price of a matinee ticket. My favorite part was when the survivors were heading towards the Mexican border, I whispered to my husband that I bet they won't let us across.........sure enough, that's what happened! Oh well.........a great way to spend a couple of hours on a Sunday afternoon......42

N@d&A

Rinkside
show 42 said:
My favorite part was when the survivors were heading towards the Mexican border, I whispered to my husband that I bet they won't let us across.........sure enough, that's what happened! Oh well.........a great way to spend a couple of hours on a Sunday afternoon......42

I think that the movie in general was imposible to belive but speaking about that I can´t belive and even imagin the writers thinking about American People crossing through the Rio Grande as easy as that, the whole room including me couldn´t avoid start laughing and even clap to it it was so funny.

At least it worthed pay for view it but I have to say that instead of caused me feel suspence I had fun.
(Sorry for mistakes again and remember Mexicans are always going to let you our doors open to anyone if the gouverment won´t it´s not our thing)

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
[email protected]'ve been to Mexico several times through the border on the California side, and we have never had a problem and we have always been made welcome. I have no doubt that if such a disaster should ever occur, that we would be made most welcome by the gracious people of your country. It was just that you could see it coming........:) 42

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
The show said that Alaska gets about 11% of all the earthquakes in the WORLD. WOW! And that one was 9 point something on the Richter Scale. Kinda makes you glad you weren't born yet, doesn't it?
From Kenai to Anchorage there are still "reminders" of the quake... whole "ocean towns" were devastated.... the only reminder are a few buldings that are sunk up to their attics... and one gas station/garage where all you see is the top of the building and a really rusty old truck... I've always wanted to take pictures but I never ride with anyone willing to stop(it's a dangerous part of the road during tourist season... tourists know nothing of hazard lights apparently!)

as for "it could happen again" it COULD.... but this whole OZone hole has been debated for eons... and there's a theory that makes more sense in that the hole has always existed and it's Earth's way of regulating stuff... I can't explain it on very little sleep... I just remember hearing a friend lecture on it(the man is a genius and he only teaches science to high schoolers UGH! LOL)