Japanese Characters -- HELP! | Golden Skate

Japanese Characters -- HELP!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm trying to figure out how to write "Holy Bible" in Japanese... however it's not as easy as I thought... I'm still on google and have been ALL DAY! I have a week until Vacation Bible School and I'm stumped! HELP!

Kateri

On the Ice
Depending on the context of what you're writing, I'd say you could get away with just writing it phonetically in katakana (which I don't know how to input on this board!!)

Since Bible is a Western word, there is probably no specific word in Japanese, it would just be something like BAI-BURU in katakana. And since the adjective holy is part of the general concept, you could probably be understood with that in katakana too - HO-RII BAI-BURU.

There are message boards at http://lrnj.com/forum/ where people would be helpful.

hope this helps!

k.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Tonichelle:

Not quite the answer you are looking for, but this reminds of the book "The Poison Wood Bible" by Barbara Kingsolver. Ever read it? It's a wonderful book. The story is about a family of Missionaries who go to live in Africa. The father is a preacher and is trying to teach the natives about the bible. Since there is no real word in their language for bible - they think he is saying "Poison Wood Bible" when he preaches to them. It's a great read!

Hope you find your info. Would be a challenge.